Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « oxygen help »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   oxygen help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: oxygen help  (Read 276 times)
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

oxygen help
« on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Went to the doctor's last night and got a prescription for 02...called today to get one and discussed the regulator.  They said that never use 15L/min as discussed here.  Said only need 1-2 L/min????  Should I bother?  How do I convince them that I may need more?
Help
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

Re: oxygen help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:38am »

you need the high flow regulator . . .what did your doc write the script for?  If the supplier won't listen to you, you may need to have your doc call them.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:49am »

Have the doc look at this:
http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/oxygen/oxygen.htm
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
broomhilda
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Ride it!

witchilda

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 2:52pm »

I agree with Mia, call your doc and ask him to write the prescription for 12-15 lpm and regulator... that what I had to do...another thing to ask him is to write that you require a non-rebreather mask, a few of us in Canada have had difficulty getting them from the supplier without a scrip... good luck Cheryl...keep us posted k?

Andrea
IP Logged

Suck it up Princess...

miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 4:28pm »

*yay* Andrea . . .I knew someone from Canada would come in and help!!  It's always good to know the rules/regs of the country/medical system that's being used!
*pl&e*
mia
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 4:42pm »

Thanks for the support and ideas.  The doctor was great he gave me the script for exactly what I asked...exactly what was on this site, non-rebreather mask, regulator for 10-15L/min.  The supplier was really hesitant and said that she wouldn't have given me the non-rebreather mask except the doctor was specific.  She still only recommends 1-2L/min!!?!!  I gave her the printout to look over.  She still was hesitant...Oh well I have everything that I need and am feeling ready(?) for the next attack.  Thanks to this site and your advice for helping me get what I need.  My fingers are crossed that this works for me.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 2:14am »

Congratulations Cheryl

Have fingers crossed that it works as well for you as it does many of us.

Do not use the strap . . . . most of the time, the advice is to cut it off so you won't use it (to be honest, I leave it on purely for the purpose of hanging it on the cart hose-hook or regulator).  For one thing, it's uncomfortable, and secondly, it you use it at night (especially when having repetitive hits)  you can very easily fall back to sleep with mask in place . . . . not good . . . . and you definitely won't like it if tank runs out and you wake up suffocating.  Don't know what the effects would be if you had a full tank going at 10-15 lpm . . . . but danger likely I would think.

Many of us tape the holes on the side (those little purge valves get knocked off and lost easily anyway), hold the mask tightly against the face while inhaling (you can squeeze the bag empty of contents at the same time), and crack the mask for your exhales.  This way, even if you fall asleep, the mask will fall away and you'll wake to find an empty tank, which is a waste, but better than the above scenario.

Very important you use it as soon as you can.

Wishing you the very best and many successful battles with the beast . . . .  I can deal if I don't have to "dance"

PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 9:59am »

Update on 02...Yesterday woke at 7am with a h/a, inhaled o2 at 5 Lpm, h/a relieved so went back to sleep, woke at 9 with h/a, inhaled 02 at 5 lpm, h/a relieved.  Got up and felt good, felt prepared for next h/a.  Feeling like maybe I can get through this...BUT at 11 hit with another one so fast, sucked half my tank of 02 at 12 lpm for 15 mins, had to quit to throw up, sweating, puking, dancing, what a pretty sight.  H/a lasted for hours.  Slept on and off all day...still had a strong shadow, kip 3 or 4.  Felt ill and dizzy all day, couldn't eat or drink.  BUT get this?? I went to bed at 10pm and slept all night...woke at 8 this morning feeling dizzy,but good !!??!!   So confused...  But if another one hits I will try the o2 again.  Thanks for listening
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss