Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex Nasal Spray »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex Nasal Spray
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex Nasal Spray  (Read 301 times)
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I am an American Soldier!!!  Proud of what I do!!!

mastersergeantsean  
Email

Imitrex Nasal Spray
« on: Feb 7th, 2005, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone.  Been a cluster head for almost 10 years now.  The devil just hit me again last week after leaving for over three years.  Went to my doctor and he gave me the Imitrex Nasal Spray instead of the shots.  I don't like it because I can taste it in my throat.  

Couple of questions:

1)  Any way to not taste it in the back of the throat?  I know this sounds weird  (the last thing I need during a visit by the devil is a nasty taste that makes me want to puke) but, after taking the spray I turn myself upside down so the drip stays in the nose cavity.  Is this stupid or what.  Doesn't quite work when I am doing a dance though.

2)  The med info that comes with the spray said not to take more than two doses in a 24 hour period.  I used to take a shot every time (3 - 6) times a day back a few years ago.  I know that I wasn't supposed to.  Can I continue to take the spray every time I get an attack, or do I need to lay off it and only use for a Kip scal 7 or above?  

What do you all think?

US Army Master Sergeant
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Imitrex Nasal Spray
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 9:33pm »

If you prefer the shots tell the doc to give you the shots!!

If you do go back to them there is a trick many of us do to extend the injections.....see the imitrex tip to the left....Very helpful...

Haven't used the spray pretty much for the reasons you mentioned.....Tried it once and stayed with the injections...

Too much use of triptans can be hazardous but all in all it depends on you......Not a doc  Wink

Best to ya

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
bigred
New Board Junior
USA 

persaverance

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 9:46pm »

master sargent.  I Have also used the nasal spray with little controll. They want you to plug the opposite side of the nose your putting the spray in and at the same time breath in thru the bad nose and out the mouth lightly. This is easier said then done when your in a kip 9. Its almost imposible to not get it running down your throat or out the front of your nose where it becomes useless. Stick with the injections. Their is little room for error, At least thats what I have found.  
    Good luck
 Bigred
IP Logged

fishing for relief in a very big pond.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 9:48pm »

on Feb 7th, 2005, 9:27pm, SLanegan wrote:

1)  Any way to not taste it in the back of the throat?

Well, it seems after using it, the taste is going to happen.  Try not to sniff so hard, you don't want it down in your throat where it then goes to the stomach to get into the system.  You want it absorbed by the membrane in your nose for the fastest route.  Just tilt your head back a bit and breathe just slightly more than a usual inhaling breath.  Don't snort it.  This is just for for a better effect, the taste, well, just try to keep it in your nose, that's what counts.  If you feel like it after it's all done, gargle.  

Quote:
2)  The med info that comes with the spray said not to take more than two doses in a 24 hour period.  I used to take a shot every time (3 - 6) times a day back a few years ago.  I know that I wasn't supposed to.  Can I continue to take the spray every time I get an attack, or do I need to lay off it and only use for a Kip scal 7 or above?

Personally, I've used it more than twice a day, double that at least.  Look into getting a better prevent and also O2 for good help and use the trex for when it seems to persistantly keep returning stronger.  That will help you more.   It's possible longer cycles can result by using too often.  But when you need it, you need it.  It would depend on your reaction, but I've found it relatively a safe drug otherwise.   Depended on it many years but now a good prevent, O2, and the trex when needed is better than the trex n/s alone, by far.    
IP Logged
SLanegan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I am an American Soldier!!!  Proud of what I do!!!

mastersergeantsean  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 9:53pm »

Thanks Eric, BigRed and Kevin for the advice.  Eric, I read the trick, might give it a try, I hate needles, but when I get my attacks, hell anything is better than the pain of the eagle talons.  I am going to give the spray another chance as that is pretty much my only way of getting my meds for now.  Will experiment more in how to inhale the meds through my fricken nose.

Thanks

MSG
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 9:54pm »

on Feb 7th, 2005, 9:33pm, E-Double wrote:
If you prefer the shots tell the doc to give you the shots!!

If you do go back to them there is a trick many of us do to extend the injections.....see the imitrex tip to the left....Very helpful...
Best to ya

Eric

Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 12:28am »

SLanegan,
     I have used both the sprays and the shots. I am a chronic and it got to the point where I had to use two sprays per HA and was still lucky if it killed a Kip 5-8. My experience has been that the shots are much quicker and effective.....10-15min.....and gone with none of that wiped out feeling after.
    Hope this helps,
    Damon
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss