Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anybody heard of Botox as a treatment? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anybody heard of Botox as a treatment?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anybody heard of Botox as a treatment?  (Read 370 times)
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

Anybody heard of Botox as a treatment?
« on: Feb 13th, 2005, 11:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

On a couple of cosmetic dermatology websites (the sites of the people doing the procedures, not research sites), there are claims that Botox help Migraines by injecting the Botox into acupuncture spots.  Anyone heard of this, and what do you think for Clusters?

Just wondering?

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: Anybody heard of Botox as a treatment?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 1:51am »

Casey,
the last time I visited my neuro, he said that botox has been used as a treatment for CH in America for a long time. I can't recall how useful it had been, though... I know that it's not used here in Finland and my neuro wasn't that keen about it anyway.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 2:41pm »

My sister had it done for CH and it didn't help at all. She looks great on that side of her face! Just kidding. I think this has come up before and I don't recall anyone saying it worked for them.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 7:51pm »

I would probably only try it if my insurance agreed to pay for it and I came out looking 15 years younger.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
debmcd
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 8:34pm »

When I told my dermo surgeon about husband's CH, he mentioned Botox. said he's read studies it is supposed to help.
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 9:01pm »

It helps my migraines go away.  It does not do anything for my cluster headaches.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 4:00pm »

Doctor said I was a prime candidate for Botox,insurance said no way..I appealed and lost.Out of pocket would have cost me $1500.00,with no guarantees. AngryDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 7:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Virtually useless for CH.

But you can have succulent full figured lips as you pace in agony.
IP Logged
Kirk Huff
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 6:05pm »

I've been in to see my Nuro constantly lately (13 week cycle that has been HELL) although all I keep getting is the damn nurse practitioner & she keeps pushing Botox.  Two years ago I had a temporary trigeminal nerve block procedure and it did nothing for me so I told her I had NO interest in the Botox, especially being that insurance will not cover it.  Finally the other day, she slipped & said that the Botox has been working great with all the migraine patients.  I looked at her straight in the face & asked her to look at my chart.  DO NOT let them peddle their inexperience of Cluster Headaches on you- especially at such a HIGH cost.  There is NO PROOF that it works for CH's.  Best of luck to you all. PF days & nights.  As for me-  I finally getting some relief, in addition to my regular dose of verapamil, depakote, O2 & Imitrex Injections- I'm now on Ambient, kolonopin, Topamax.  The last three are all new for me & I only take them at night.  I HATE the way they make me feel!  But the CH's started getting better after about 5 days and I've been PF for 3 days now but who knows I was going on 14 weeks as it was, maybe it was just time for the demon to leave.  All I know is the longer I'm PF the sooner I can get these new drugs out of my system!

kirk-
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 6:08pm »

Mine just pushed it today.....

Still clueless even after 10 months...(me and him Huh)
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
haubels
New Board Newbie
USA 

Learning to live with CH

« Reply #10 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 1:37pm »

LET'S MAKE THIS SHORT AND SWEET. I WAS A CHRONIC (2-3 CH'S A DAY)  SUFFER FOR 3 TO 6 MTHS. A YEAR. AFTER BOTOX I'M NOW HAVING CH'S ABOUT 2 TO 3 A WEEK.
IP Logged
colson
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 1:19pm »

My boyfriend is a chronic and has been fortunate enough to be a guinea pig for a plastic surgeon who has had excellent results on migraine patients, but was curious about cluster. It took a while to figure out how many units, and where to inject them, but we have seen an improvement. The drawback (besides a ridiculous cost, just for the drug itself) is that the headaches sometimes don't ease up for a few weeks after the injections, and start creeping back in before the 3 months is up. Still, we have seen enough help from it to continue to scrape, scrounge and save the money to continue the shots....
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:40pm »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 1:37pm, haubels wrote:
LET'S MAKE THIS SHORT AND SWEET. I WAS A CHRONIC (2-3 CH'S A DAY)  SUFFER FOR 3 TO 6 MTHS. A YEAR. AFTER BOTOX I'M NOW HAVING CH'S ABOUT 2 TO 3 A WEEK.

The definition of chronic is based on how many months you have ch not how many a day.  You must have cluster headaches 11 out of 12 months inorder to be chronic.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
pathat
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 9:50am »

my husband has ch for 21 yrs and been thru hell. he 1st tried botox 4 yrs ago and it had a complete remission of ch for 2 yrs 3 mos . he was a chronic sufferer and was having 8 ch/day. oxygen stopped working. when they came back he received botox again with relief for 1.5 yrs.  he usually tries to abort the ch with predisone 1st, cause if you're in a bad cycle it may be worse at 1st. right now he's back in a bad cycle and we are trying to get botox approved w our new insurance. it costs $1400 if no insurance. the botox web site helps w approval for reimbursement. good luck.   pat
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #14 on: Mar 7th, 2005, 12:10pm »

My new neuro, Robbins Headache Clinic in Illinois, has been using this for different headaches.  I haven't had it yet, but last cycle I was thinking about it.  It is used as a nerve block at the point where the ocipital and trigemenial nerves meet.  It is only about 1 to 2 mg of botox.  They said that they have seen 60% positive results with sufferers having up to 8 months of remission.  I had 2 trigger point injections and for me, they worked but I was ready to pull the trigger on the botox if the 2nd one didn't.  Your milage may vary...

Dr Robbins was a speaker at one of the first conventions, if I remember correctly.  He is a great neuro and takes what we say seriously.

T

IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss