Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 2:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A technique that can work »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   A technique that can work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A technique that can work  (Read 357 times)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

A technique that can work
« on: Feb 15th, 2005, 9:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dr. Wright’s Circulatory Technique  

What follows is a technique learned from a neurologist:  
I am not sure what mechanism is triggered by this but whatever it is, at least indirectly helps kill the pain. I do know that this technique has nothing to do with meditation, relaxation, or psychic ability. It is entirely physical and takes some work. It involves concentrating on trying to redirect a little circulation to the arms, hands, or legs. It can described as a conscious circulatory flexing. Increased circulation will result in a reddening and warming of the hands. Try to think of it as filling your hands with redirected blood. The important and difficult part is that it has to be done without interruption through the pain. Do not give up in frustration. It may not work on the first try. Every now and then it will work almost immediately. I lived for those moments. Try experimenting between attacks. You will find that it gets easier with practice.

I was given less than five minutes instruction in the use of method. The doctor, while placing his arm on his desk, showed me that he could slightly increase his arm and hand circulation. After several attempts, I was able to repeat this procedure and use it successfully. I have had about a 75% success rate shortening these attacks. My 20 minute attacks were often reduced to 10 minutes or less. Once proven that I had a chance to effectively deal with this horror, I always gave it a try as I had nothing to lose but pain.

Perhaps it will help if you think of it as trying to fill the arm as if it is were an empty vessel. I used to try to imagine I was pushing blood away from my head into my arm. Use your imagination. There is one man who wrote that his standing barefoot on a concrete floor shortened his attacks. This may be similar as it draws some circulation away from the head. Cold water, exercise, or anything affecting circulation, seems to be worth a try. My suggestion is to not let up immediately when the pain goes. Waiting a minute is probably a good idea. So long as you do not slack off, this has a chance of working.

This technique is very useful while waiting for medication to take effect or when none is available. It costs nothing, is non-invasive, and can be used just about anywhere. It is not a miracle but it helped me deal with this horror. It can be a bit exhausting but the success rate was good enough for me and a cluster headache sufferer will do just about anything to end the pain. It gives us a fighting chance.  

I hope this technique is helpful and I wish you the best of luck

Charlie  
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: A technique that can work
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 2:55am »

Thank you for sharing that technique, Charlie! Smiley
I'm going to try it when the next ch comes around.

I have been doing affirmations for a while and they have helped me in great deal. In my case, I have been reading about the powers of subconcious mind for a long time.  

My latest technique is to close my eyes, breath deeply and then say at least 15 times "I'm free from all pain" out loud if I can, but on my mind works, too. It works for me. Not with 100%, but around 85%.

Best wishes & PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: A technique that can work
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 10:20pm »

Buddhist monks have raised this to a high art.  A novice is expected to sit outside on a cold day and dry wet sheets that have been wrapped around his body by redirecting his circulation.  I learned about this when I did some biofeedback about twenty years ago.  Moving the blood into my hands and feet helps some with migraines but I've never been successful with CHs.  They just come on too fast and the pain level is too high.  Good for you that you're able to keep your concentration long enough to make this work.  Wish I could.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss