Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imigran »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imigran
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imigran  (Read 393 times)
Davies
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Imigran
« on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cry Hi im new here and if anyone can tell me about Imigran I would be very grateful Thank you Jo xx
IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

Re: Imigran
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:55pm »

OK, I will try this again, somehow got cut off last time.

Welcome, and sorry you are here.  But you are, so here's what I can tell you about Imigran:

Imigran is the name of Imitrex in places outsude North America.  It is an abortive med for CH.  It is the brand name for sumatriptan, and it comes in pills which work too slow usually for CH, nasal spray, and injections which most of us take.  

For info, I really think you should head to the OUCH UK site.  They are great people there, and will take great care of you.  I was in Scotland for about 15 months, and they were a great help.  You can find their site from the OUCH site at: www.clusterheadaches.org.  

About sumatriptan you can check out the British National Formulary website at www.bnf.org  BNF is the book that all the doctors in the UK use to find out info on different meds.  I think that anbody can register at the website, maybe you have to say you are a student or something.  

Also, about sumatriptan, you can get info at the OUCH UK website: http://www.clusterheadaches.org.uk/home/index.cfm?address=../treatments/ txt_drug_sumatriptan.cfm&added=22/07/03&code=CD.  

At that link you will get the following info:
Quote:
MEDICATION DATABASE

Drug name (generic):

Sumatriptan

Drug name (brand*):

Imigran

Administration:

Administration: Oral (50/100mg)
Nasal (20mg)
Injection (6mg)

Effects:

Tablets slowest (30 mins?), Nasal (10-20 mins?), Jab (5-10 mins?). For majority of patients works very effectively at aborting attacks. Few (5%?) find totally ineffective. The nearest to a miracle drug on the market!

Side-effects:

Occasional probs with heart patients (contra-indicated for most). Pulse can race. Sensitivity to temperature/sunlight. Tingling sensation.

Prescription:

UK - Varies considerably (due to expense, ignorance and simple reluctance?) Some patients receive all they need, while others are limited to six (or even fewer) per scrip. Recommended maximum two doses per day.
Licensing: technically only the injectible form is licensed for use with CH., though, because of price, the other two forms are normally tried first.
If your doctor does persist in the tablet form, at least try and get the 100mg; many people find that they can split them, and ward off attacks using the smaller dose.
(Useful Info: jab c.£19per dose, nasal c.£6, 100mg tab. c£8 - BNF, May 2001)

I hope that helps.  Check out the links at the left, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  We are all here for each other.  I would really encourage you to hit the OUCH UK site.  You won't be sorry, unless Wendy (Pubgirl) answers your requestWink.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Davies
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 4:27pm »

Cry Hi used it today but my head just stayed as it was is this normal?
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 9:35pm »

No most CHers usually get relief from imigran/trex though a few don't. Sorry it didn't work for you!

Filbert.
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 10:46pm »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 4:27pm, Davies wrote:
Cry Hi used it today but my head just stayed as it was is this normal?

May not work the first time! If pills don't work or take too long, try the nasal! That's my 2nd best painkiller (after 02 and before relpax 20mg), works 80% of the time within 15-20 minutes.

Still if the nasal doesn't work or also takes too long, might want to try the jabs (as written in Caseys post)

As you can see, no need to give up just yet! Smiley

Keep us updated!

PFd
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Davies
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:02am »

Cry Hi everyone! Here we again headaces starting.So I took nasel spray.It has stopped the headace but still feel it there only to rturn later.What do i do I have two kids a part time job.Going back to the docctors today as I need more help but where do I go from here? can some one help? Do I try jabs? Will try most things as I cant take much more.Please help Jo xxx
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:50am »

Jo I have sent you an IM with the ouch uk helpline number. Give them a ring you sound a bit down. The people who answer all suffer from CH and are very friendly and knowledgable.

All the best Filbert.
IP Logged
Davies
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 3:41pm »

Cry Cry Cry It took an hour and a half to work but it did.At first it just stopped it in its tracks but thewm it suddenly went.Im so pleased. laugh.Last time I used it I was in the middle of the attack so this time I went for it at th start and it worked.I want to shout it from the roof tops.I feel great. Grin laugh laugh laugh laugh Tongue
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #8 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 7:32pm »

Let me shout with you Jo! Cheesy

might want to inform on the oxygen as painkiller though, it's cheap, clean, fast and easy Wink
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 4:36am »

I think the problem with the pills is they take too long to work and if you wait until the pain get hold they are useless. The Nasal Spray is only slightly better as long as you take it at the very first signs of CH coming.

The inj works (for me) EVERY TIME no matter when I take it during the CH. 10 Minutes maximum to total relief.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on the Imigran pills or nasal spray - stick to the injection. It is easy and painless in my opinion. When you get used to it you can always try the "tip on the left" to save on the amount you use.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss