Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I know this is silly... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   I know this is silly...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I know this is silly...  (Read 380 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

I know this is silly...
« on: Feb 21st, 2005, 2:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

... but I have postponed taking my painkiller few times because of its side effects...  Roll Eyes
Maxalt is the only med (so far) which has worked with my head. But it makes me sleepy (in zombie kind of way) afterwards and I get weird feeling in my chest and throat. None of these things I'd like to have in public (= during a lecture), which has happened in the past.
I could get another painkiller called imigran, but it's injection thing and I'm scared of needles.... Shocked Another silly thing, I suppose. Thank God I'm not diabetic...
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: I know this is silly...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:29am »

Hey, Sandie.  I used to feel the same way about shots and needles.  I said the "good thing I'm not diabetic," too.  I have to say - the first one is the hardest.  Once you get that one out of the way, it is really not bad at all.  I currently use the imitrex vials and .5cc, 30 guage short needle syringes.  You barely feel anything at all.  hell, I even taught my wife how to do it for me, if for whatever reason was unable.  Nothing to it.
IP Logged
cat14

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sandie99,
Hon, I am a girl to so I know how you feel. I never thought I could stick myself with a needle and becuase 02 doesn't work for me, I had no choice and with the help here from Gator and others I learned to do it pretty painlessly. If you want to try PM me and I will tell you how I was taught.

They made me laugh alot to when I was learning to do it
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:30am »

the needles are so sharp and thin that you honestly should barely feel it......you just need to get the tip directly under your skin so we're not talking a deep shot!!!!

That is one point Wink

The other is for some of us the side effects of the maxalt may occur with imitrex as well....Both Triptans.

Hang in there!!!

Ex2
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I also had trouble with needles, and like the others said, the first one's the hardest. Not really painful but it's a mind thing. If the Imitrex works for you like it does for me (aborts the cluster every time within 5-6 minutes) you'll soon won't mind the shots at all. In fact, you learn relief is just a minor pin prick away.  

I've only had to use Imitrex one time in the last month, thanx to www.clusterbusters.com. Prior to that, I've had to use it up to 8 times a day.
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:43am »

Sandie,
I am the biggest needle chicken around.......really I am......the worst part is not the needle it's the mind psych barrier you put up. I can finally use that stat dose and I'm getting up the nerve to split the doses because the stat dose is too strong.

I have a really good coach...thanks EEric! Smiley

If I can do it... anyone can!  
-lionsound

oh.....I get the same sort of side effects and sometimes don't take a triptan while I'm out of the house or alone with the kids.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 11:55am »

Listen to these people Sandie. You can do it too.

Then go

get a donut.  
 Grin
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:37pm »

Doing those sub-cutaneous injections is a LOT easier than having to do IM injections like is required for DHE!!  I have actually stopped using my DHE and toradol because of the IM injections.  It makes me want to throw up to give them to myself.  I can give anyone else a shot...but no IM injections for myself.  BillyJ even stayed on the phone with me one night for a long time and I STILL couldn't give myself the injection.

Sub-q however, I do great at!  This last time I was in the hospital, I had to have Heparin injections twice a day in the abdomen.  After awhile, they just let me give the injections to myself because I was a nursing student and because I know how to give injections pretty well.  I also asked to do it...they were more than happy to hand over the job to me!!  I think most of you have seen the picture with the results of all those injections.... it wasn't pretty!!

Best of luck!! Smiley

IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:42pm »

Thanks for exellent advices, guys!
My pal, who is studying to become a nurse, just called and said that if I'll ever need someone to help out with injections, she is ready to help. Knowing her... Soon I'll be a needlequilt! Grin
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss