Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 4:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ibuprofen 800mg versus Maxalt? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ibuprofen 800mg versus Maxalt?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ibuprofen 800mg versus Maxalt?  (Read 386 times)
Asil
New Board Newbie
USA 

Ibuprofen 800mg versus Maxalt?
« on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 5:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi. New here. My husband gets clusters. His neurologist put him on Topomax and Maxalt the past 2 weeks -- no real relief. We're dumping her soon for a new neuro but that's a whole other story.  

Today he went back to his regular MD. The MD said he was surprised Maxalt worked at all since its a whatever whatever (too tired at this point to remember) and suggested my husband try 800 mg ibuprofen.  

What do you think?  

He gets 2-5 attacks per day. On Friday we're going to a real bonafide head clinic. I'll post a follow up on how it goes.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Re: Ibuprofen 800mg versus Maxalt?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 5:29pm »

Ibuprofen won't do it.  You need a triptan ie, maxalt, zomig, amerge, axert or imitrex.  If you can't get that try to get a script for O2 at 12-15 lpm.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:18pm »

Print this" http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf "out and give it to your GP just for the sake of education.....also if he learns and is willing to work with you, he may be of just as much use then a neuro.

Good luck

Eric

IBUPROFERIN will do jack $hit!!!
Thomas is correct!! For some reason or another people seem to respond differently to the different triptans..some work for Joe CHmoe yet won't work for another.....
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 9:07am »

This a long document (so print out) but will give you a list of potential treatments to discuss with the doc.

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/HA2005.pdf  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 10:42am »

Ibuprofen doesn't do the trick for my head but maxalt helps everytime! Good luck. Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Asil
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 11:41am »

Thank you all! His MD is a good egg. Even claims he's not the expert, but is willing to investigate and try to help. The MD also gave him a recommendation for a new neurologist. In addition, we're going to this headache clinic tomorrow.  

I think he's developing a tolerance to Maxalt. Either that or the headaches are getting more fierce? We're working through his stress issues as well and starting to arrive at some stress relief plans and such.  

Thanks so much!  
Lisa
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 12:11pm »

Ibuprofen?? dont think this MD has any clue  Angry

Ibuprofen is like a double whopper cheese to the beast, dont risk a stumach perforation for nothing!

There's a lot to try, you can get all the tips you need here, 'cause we're the best doctors you will ever find Cheesy

Hang in there u2!
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss