Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lamictal »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lamictal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lamictal  (Read 228 times)
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

Lamictal
« on: Mar 12th, 2005, 12:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My Nuro has recently started me on Lamictal tablets. I have been taking them for 6 weeks now, starting out at a low dose and gradually increasing. So far they have lessened my clusters by about 80%. I am also taking Lithium and Verapamil. He is weaning me off those to see if the Lamictal will work, since we now know the others have not. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this drug and if so have they had any success? I do know that the one serious side effect is a rash that may have you hospitalized, have not had that so far.  

Anita    Smiley
IP Logged
don

Email

Re: Lamictal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 7:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
My Nuro has recently started me on Lamictal tablets. I have been taking them for 6 weeks now, starting out at a low dose and gradually increasing. So far they have lessened my clusters by about 80%. I am also taking Lithium and Verapamil.

You dont suppose that maybe, just maybe, its the verapamil and Lithium that have resulted in the decrease?
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2005, 7:01am by don » IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 8:09am »

Anita, I tried to look for your other posts but couldn't get them to show up on the search.  Are you episodic or chronic?

The lamictal might be working for you, it's an anti epiliptic drug and there are several folks who have had success with other anti epileptics.  If you are episodic though, it may just be that your cycle is winding down and that the verapamil and lithium have finally reached therapeutic levels in your system.  Keep a good headache diary so that you can really monitor whether it's the lamictal or the verap and lith that are helping you.

Regarless of which is happening, I'm glad you are getting some relief.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 11:40am »

I tried it briefly and it didn't help me. Glad you're getting better results.

Unsolved
IP Logged
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 7:30pm »

Thanks for the fast replies. I have been suffering from Chronic  Clusters for about 10 years now, each year worse then the last.  It has only been a year and a half since I have been treated for them.  What a relief to finally put a name to what was going on in my head.
I have been taking the Lithium and Verapamil for a year now, the nurologist started me on the Lamictal about 6 to 7 weeks ago then slowly started to wean me off the other meds. I also take the Imitrex shots and Oxygen when a severe one hits.  
By the way, does anyone on this site live in Michigan?  
Its good to know I am not crazy or alone in this pain. Most people just don't understand. They think a tylenol will do the trick. They are soooo wrong!
IP Logged
PCMCCK

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2005, 11:38pm »

I took Lamictal for 5 months and then went into a remission that lasted for one year (I'm chronic CH).  My neurologist and I thought that the Lamictal might be responsible for the remission and I remained on it, but, unfortunately, the pain returned and has been with me constantly for 3 years now.  I remained on the lamicatal for about 4 months after the pain returned but it had no effect, so, for me at least, Lamictal did not work and the remission was just one of those spontaneous ones that are a part of the chronic cluster pattern.  There is always the possibility that it may work for you, so follow your neurologist's advice and good luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss