Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax questions  (Read 300 times)
kingsiren
New Board Junior

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

Topamax questions
« on: Mar 19th, 2005, 12:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys! My Neuro put me on Topa Wednesday and I have to say that it seems to be helping. I have only had one attack since Wednesday I hope it isn't coincidence. I am exhausted though, the Topa wipes me out. Has anyone else been on the Topa and what kind of dosage were they prescribed? What kind of side effects did you go through? Did it help on it's own or in combo with the Verapamil (or other beta/calcium blocker)?

IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
PCMCCK

Email

Re: Topamax questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 1:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've been on Topamax for several weeks; started out at 25mg/day, increased by 25mg/week, up to 150mg/day now with a goal of 400 mg/day, not on Verapamil.  Once I got to 100mg/day I noticed longer pain free periods (I'm chronic since '96), even had one whole day pain free.  I have noticed 2 side effects:  increased tiredness during the day (and night) and tingling sensations in my arms at times-no problems with confusion, able to think clearly and function normally at work, though if I am attending a meeting in a dark room when a PowerPoint presentation is being made I find it difficult to remain awake (but I work for the gov't, so it could be the content of the nonsense that I must listen to).  It is too early to tell if the Topamax is the cause of the increase in pain free periods, as I have had that occur in the past-even had a spontaneous one year remission.  I do think that it is worthwhile for me to continue with the Topamax despite the side effects-I'll have to be more creative and try to get out of attending boring classes!  One note of caution that my neuro told me:  DO NOT stop taking Topamax suddenly-that can cause an epileptic type fit in some people.  If you don't want to continue taking it, let your neuro know and have him/her taper you off of it.  Good luck!  If the stuff works for me I'll post it here.
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 8:55am »

Started taking Topamax @ 100mg a day.After 3rd. day I got lost at work!I guess that wouldn't be so bad except for the fact I've worked at the same place for 33 years.Damn stuff fried my brain!It was given to me as a sample and the witch doctor that gave it to me did not give me any warnings of the "side effects". Might work for some but not me.As much as I hate to admit it I would rather live with a CH and know my own name,than be a friggin' vegetable. GrinDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I took it for almost a year and got kidney stones twice ... the first time requiring surgery   Undecided

Unsolved
IP Logged
Ouch
New Board Newbie
USA 

Scottishlaw1  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 6:56pm »

Im taking 100 mgs daily at night. Having alot of shadows at night. and some during the day.
IP Logged

Hold on tight.......this is one hellava ride
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 7:44pm »

Hi,

Never tried Topomax - thank goodness.  Some people have fairly good results with not TOO bad side effects, but from what I've read on this board, most people suffer from memory loss, decreased cognitive function, and generally turn into zombies.

If it works for you and you can live with any side effects, that's great.  We're all different.

I, myself, prefer meds that allow me to keep my mental and physical energy somewhat intact.  Regardless, it's usually a case of trial and error til you find what works best for you.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 8:08pm »

Here's my experience.....

I had very bad side-effects and they came on rapidly...
This is not to say that everyone does... Unfortunatley in this way we are all different and because we are different we respond differently to meds thus no universal treatment is effective for all....

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1106351189

Hope it helps ya!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
kingsiren
New Board Junior

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 1:37am »

Wow I increased my dosage today from 25mg to 50mg and I feel like a cast member from Night of the Living Dead. Still no attacks so it's working it's magic on me but I am exhausted. I may not be able to keep taking it if I am going to be feeling like this. Maybe the effects will taper off after a week or so, I guess I will just have to wait and see.
IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
WhoAmI
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 11:36pm »

Hi - This is my first post! Glad to find you! I was on the Depakote and Verap for a long time and the headaches came back so the doc changed me to the Topa (25 and on it's way to 100) and Verap (250). well, I was supposed to increase the Topa and decrease the Depa..the side effects made me so dopey, i
got really sickey...tremors, headaches got worse, stomach probs, weakness, really tired, confused, I feel a little better now that the dosage is ironed out.  Still having a lot of nightmares and waking up in bad sorts.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss