Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 1:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « KUDZU SIDE EFFECTS?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   KUDZU SIDE EFFECTS??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: KUDZU SIDE EFFECTS??  (Read 3553 times)
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

KUDZU SIDE EFFECTS??
« on: Mar 27th, 2005, 11:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

BEEN DOING THE ZU NOW FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS SHORT OF A MONTH.ONE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE AN UPSET STOMACH.I TAKE NEXIUM IN THE MORNING BUT DOESN'T SEEM TO HELP MUCH.AS FOR THE CH I WOULD SAY IT'S THE BEST THING YET.STILL STAYING WITH MY NADOLOL AND VOLTAREN.AFRAID TO FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKEN.   HAPPY EASTER AND PF DAYS AND NIGHT TO ALL! mellow DAVID
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: KUDZU SIDE EFFECTS??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 11:29am »

Some of us have been er, gassier. I wouldn't say I've had an upset stomach though. Keep an eye on it David. Keep us posted, too. Have you taken the first week survey yet?     Smiley    love, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
PaulL
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 11:51am »

I tried kudzu for a couple of weeks at the very tail end of my episode.  It seemed to work but definitely gave me an upset stomach.

This brings up an interesting point.  I've always been skeptical that the only symptom of cluster is the terrible head pain.  There must be other effects on other parts of the body.  I've noticed that during an episode there will be days here and there where I don't get the headaches but get massive stomach pains instead.  Anyone have similar experiences with unusual pains in other parts of the body during an episode?
IP Logged
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 5:34pm »

Paul What you are describing sounds like abdominal migraines. Those are a bitch too. Sick like a dog. A lot of people don't know that sometimes the only symptom of a migraine is the abdominal symptoms at times. The first time it happened to me I thought I was getting an ulcer. After 20 years of suffering complicated migraines and episodic ch I have been through the most amazing battery of things that can happen to an unfortunate person. You must remember the brain rules the body so anything can happen. But abdominal migraines are a true diagnosis. I don't know of any links to look up. Maybe someone else like Floridian can help.
IP Logged
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2005, 8:15pm »

gassy...and some other related things.

ricky - that sounds strange and terrible.  sorry you have to deal with that.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 1:47pm »

It seems from the reports and personal experience that Kudzu affects the 5-HT2 receptors. The 5-HT2B recptors are involved in stomach contractions. This would explain some stomach pains. However I am willing to believe that kudzu may affect the 5-HT4 recptors which are involved in gastrointestinal motility (movement of food). I guess this might be good, as it may makes hummm more "regular"

For more on the 5-HT receptors, there is a very good Wiki on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT_receptor

Ozzy
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 1:55pm »

That makes perfect sense, Ozzy. When I first began taking kudzu, that was one of the things I immediately noticed: My trips to the "throne" were more frequent. Now that I've been on it awhile, that little side effect seems to have leveled off. (Maybe I was just "full of it"?) LOL
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 2:50pm »

Fart production is definately enhanced on this stuff.  I'm on day 3 and blastin' like a trottin' horse!!!  I'd call it a good side effect though.  Sure has put a smile on my face (my wife has a different opinion though).

Hey Margi - PULL MY FINGER!
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 2:57pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 3:05pm »

psst, hey Bob!  You should get a t-shirt with that written on it!  Wink

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 6:06pm »

Yep,I guess that's why I asked the question.Gas!But I try to be somewhat discreet when passing.But you know what?Don't really give a hoot.My CH pain has been cut by 80%.Not really sure how long it will last but if I have to pass a little gas to live a PF day so be it. GrinDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 7:06pm »

Nawww, man. Be PROUD!! Just honk 'em on out there. A little flatus will persuade us! LMAO!  laugh
IP Logged

MarnyandMichael
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:26pm »

Omg you guys are too funny.  But I can honestly say that Michael (The CH sufferer has always been, well, to say it politely very gassy as a norm)  Yes I buy stock in air freshener companies.  lol.

As for Stomach or abdominal migraines...He doesn't complain about any pain per se...but bowel irritation...his explanation.  I am just the messenger folks..lol

Marny - who thinks kudru is a godsend....but I do have a question....has anyone found after using it a while that it loses its effectiveness?
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:29pm »

I've had to increase my dosage, but I can't say it's lost any effectiveness. I'm still not at the maximum dose stated on the label.  I'm also chronic, and while I've improved 99%, I still have an occasional bad day. Still great compared to before...but a bad day nonetheless.

edited to add: this is week 7 for me
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:30pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 9:30am »

It has lost its effectiveness to produce monster gas bubbles, and I'm a little angry about that.  laugh

In all seriousness, I can't remember the last time I got hit with a cluster headache... It might have been three weeks ago.

The only times I've been hit is when I've missed a dose, or gotten the timing messed up on my doses.

I've been on it since late February.
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 9:48am »

I'm a newbie.  This is day 4 for me.  The last 2 nights I haven't even had to get out of bed when the 1.5 hours after going to bed attack comes.  I can't even call it an attack.  Just the feeling that one is trying to start.  I take the cafegot tab that I keep on the night table and go back to sleep.  I still have that swollen feeling in the cluster area to tell me they aren't gone yet but I haven't hit the O2 for a couple of days now.

This weekend I'll skip a few doses to see if it's really the kudzu.  I'm having trouble believing something like this could work.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 10:02am »

Bob,

From what I've been trying to glean from the threads, take care about trying to go off the kudzu too quickly. From my experience, it seems that if you still feel like you are still "in cycle" but having great results from the Kudzu, you are and the removal of the Kudzu will also bring the return of some headaches. (I think Frank can attest to that as well).  

I pushed to drop the Kudzu a little quickly and took a few bumps as a result. When I started to feel that the beast had truly left (no mini-shadows and such) I was able to truly drop the Kudzu and go on about my business.

So, as I said, if you're still feeling that "feeling" when you're feeling what you're feeling, maybe love the kudzu a little longer just for good measure. Not wishing to instill anxiety or quash confidence on the idea of coming off, just trying to suggest a potential sidestep for PFDAN right on through to the end of your cycle.

Congratulations on your results. It's cool isn't it?

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 10:07am »

Scott,

Like Happy said in another thread, beta testing is rough stuff.

I'm thinking of skipping a few doses to see if I get hit.  If I do, then I'm back on the kudzu right away and a firm believer that it works.  If I don't get hit, then I would tend to think it was the shrooms from last week.

Anyway, I'm talking experiment to see if the zu is what's holding them at bay.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 10:12am »

Cool. That was my objective too when I went off. Looking forward to hearing the result for you. My result was that Nature's Way Kudzu takes a prominent place in my medicine cabinet and I'll be making sure I have supply for the Fall dance.
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 10:59am »

Another thing that I noticed with the kudzu: The times that I have had hits, they have been "muted." None of the three hits lasted longer than 20-30 minutes, and although they were enough to make me pace, they weren't accompanied by the hanging eyelid, temperature spike, or "melting face symptoms."
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss