Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 sight not working have a question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 sight not working have a question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 sight not working have a question  (Read 408 times)
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

O2 sight not working have a question
« on: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Been using a concentrator at 10L NRB mask?  Just got new orders for O2 tank with regulator up to 15LPM.  My husband went to pick it up and they are telling him that a tank only last 15 min.

What is best tank or concentrator.  Is this a scam for more money???
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: O2 sight not working have a question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:55pm »

Concentrators and tanks are two different animals. Here's a list of O2 tank sizes/capacities.

Divide the liters/tank by 15, and you'll know how long each tank will last. This is one instance where size really DOES matter.
RJ

IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 12:59pm »

Thankyou so much.  Now I can go in knowing what I am talking about.  No wool over these eyes...
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 1:00pm »

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

I have several D tanks for traveling that I keep in my car as well as  E tanks around my home.....

Size does matter yet certain conveniences can be taken into consideration......For me who is always on the road, I prefer having several smaller ones....

It also will depend on your insurance and your supplier.....My O2 supplier gives me anything I ask for.

Good luck!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:05pm »

Well I went to talk with them and they told me for one they don't feel comfortable with a flow that high in the home care setting and for two they don't have a regulator that goes that high.  They also told me that 10L is the biggest concentrator they carry.  Oh well will just have to make due.
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:10pm »

You guys must really hypreventilate!!!

I'm 6'4", 240 lbs. and I run my regulator at 7 lpm.  It works just fine.  I keep 4 E tanks around (3 at home, 1 at office).  My E tanks last about 80 minutes each.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:13pm »

Don't confuse concentrator's with regulators. Totally different animals.
If these folks can't provide what you want, talk to another medical supply O2 dealer (unless this is the only game in town.)
Get the biggest tank you can for your home setting.
If you can't get a 15+ lpm regulators from them, give me a yell.

We aim to please.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:15pm »

10L as an abortive hasn't worked after 15 min and then 5 min later I got hit really bad.  It helps with bad shadows.  When I am in pain I can't stand that mask over my mouth I really feel like I can't breath.  Once my husband held it in place while he held my hands and talked me through it.  

Maybe I just due it wrong I am new at this...
IP Logged

KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:18pm »

Thanks Mr. Happy I'll keep you posted.  

Forgive me all if I seemed impatient with a post here and in the general I just need answers fast so I could go pick it up but I rushed for nothing laugh
IP Logged

BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:26pm »

Tanks are better than concentrators because tanks deliver 100% pure O2, concentrators don't.

The two most common O2 tanks are E tanks and H tanks.

E tanks are 4' high 7" diameter and hold 682 litres. At 10 lpm an E tank will last 53 minutes. They are portable on a small handtruck with wheels. If you're having E tanks delivered get about 4 at a time.

H tanks are 5' high 9" diameter and hold 6770 litres. At 10 lpm an H tank will last 10 hours. They weigh about 150 lbs and are delivered on a hand truck with wheels.

From my O2 supplier, E tanks cost $13 to refill and H tanks only cost $26 to refill even though they hold 10 times as much.

If you just want it for home use and don't need to carry it around, it's much better to get an H tank.

See:
http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm

PF wishes,
Bob
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:30pm »

on Apr 1st, 2005, 2:05pm, Kim Y. wrote:
they told me for one they don't feel comfortable with a flow that high in the home care setting and for two they don't have a regulator that goes that high.

Kim,

That doesn't make since. Do you have a script for your 02 ? On the script it should specifically state that you need a 12-15 flow regulator. Whoever "they" are shouldn't matter. If you have a script, they should supply you with what the doctor ordered. I can't believe they don't have a 12-15 flow regulator. You may want to try another supply company. In the past I tried less than the (CH.com) recommended flow and it didn't do squat. More is better.... IMHO

What's with this concentrator you talk about ? You need a tank, nrb mask, tubing and a regulator.

Hope you get what you need and it helps.
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 2:33pm »

on Apr 1st, 2005, 2:15pm, Kim Y. wrote:
10L as an abortive hasn't worked after 15 min and then 5 min later I got hit really bad.  It helps with bad shadows.  When I am in pain I can't stand that mask over my mouth I really feel like I can't breath.  Once my husband held it in place while he held my hands and talked me through it.  

Maybe I just due it wrong I am new at this...

Are you using a concentrator or tank? If it's a concentrator the 10 lpm might not be working in 15 minutes because the 10 lpm is not pure O2.

Don't use the strap on the non-rebreather mask. Hold it against your face when you inhale and take it away from your face when you exhale.

Bob  
IP Logged
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 1st, 2005, 11:38pm »

Yes I use a concentrator at 10L  unfortunatly reguardless of this new script about needing a tank with 12-15L NRB mask per my doctor who is very open.  They told me sorry no can do.  Will try another supplier.
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:46am »

on Apr 1st, 2005, 2:10pm, Bob P wrote:
You guys must really hypreventilate!!!

I'm 6'4", 240 lbs. and I run my regulator at 7 lpm.  It works just fine.  I keep 4 E tanks around (3 at home, 1 at office).  My E tanks last about 80 minutes each.

Bob, sometimes I have a hard time slowing down for a 15lpm regulator.  I tend to breathe deeper as well as faster and I have a large lung capacity.  At times, that little bag on the mask just doesn't fill fast enough and doesn't hold enough oxygen for me to catch my breath.  Sometimes the damn thing just frustrates the hell out of me and go straight for the trex.  Once I get calmed down and into a rhythm and the 15lpm starts to work, I can turn it down to 12lpm, but rarely as low as 10lpm.   For me, at 15lpm, an E tank works for about 2 - 3 attacks depending on how fast it works on the individual attacks.  I also keep 4 tanks.

A non-rebreather mask will not work well, if at all below 10lpm.  The respiratory therapist at the medical supply place I use would not even give me an NRB mask without a script that specifically stated a flow rate of 10 - 15lpm.  

As far as higher flow rates not being necessary, (I know you didn't say that - some doctors have, though) as with everything else, we are all different.  There has been at least one report done (as well as personal experience from people here) that shows that higher flow rates can be effective for people for whom the standard 7lpm doesn't work.  

"High Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache"
      by Todd D. Rozen, M.D., Neurologist

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html

Quote:
Several important cases recently reported in the medical literature, found this therapy to be quite effective in patients who previously did not respond to lower dose oxygen inhalation.

IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 5:17am »

Kim,

Your supplier may not have a 10 - 15 lpm regulator but they should be able to order one very quickly.

My supplier ordered one and some nrb masks and had them the following day.

Also, I found that packing the tubing in ice or keeping the o2 tank in a cold garage helped me also.

good luck,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

godsjoy777
New Board Veteran
USA 

HIS name is above clusters

godsjoy777  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:03am »

Hey Bob......I would truely LOVE to get the BIGGIE size of tank at my house.....but my husband asked my supplier about it last time and they said the problem with that was that they had to come to the house to refill the big tank....H tank.....and they weren't set up for that.....any great ideas for here in Dallas, TX?   In the meantime I have one bought tank and 2 rented ones( all E tanks)  that I keep having my husband take to get refilled on his lunch hour....He is one precious husband! I would love to find a way to ease this load though.....

Blessings,
Karenl
IP Logged
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:46am »

[quote author=Renee link=board=meds;num=1112377200;start=0#14 date=04/02/05 at 05:17:27]Kim,

"Your supplier may not have a 10 - 15 lpm regulator but they should be able to order one very quickly."

Well Renee what they told me is they could order a regulator but didn't feel comfortable with number of liters used in the household and I would only get 10 minutes out of their tanks.

I even told them that the only reason I asked for this is because most of you all that have CH have gotten more relief on a tank and at that liter flow.  They wouldn't listen...
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:47am by KMT » IP Logged

BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:49pm »

Kim,

If your supplier said you would only get 10 minutes out of their tanks you need a different supplier. I wonder how much they're charging you for that concentrator. I found my O2 supplier in the Yellow Pages under oxygen.  

PF wishes,
Bob
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 1:02pm »

Karen,

I guess it all depends on how the O2 supplier operates. I don't know about suppliers in Dallas. Here in San Francisco I found one that delivered an H tank, 15 lpm reg and non-rebreather mask the next day. They rented me the H tank and 15 lpm reg for $64/month, sold me the NRB mask and tubing for $9, and charged $25 for delivery. When I needed  H tank refills I called them and they delivered a full  H tank and picked up the empty one the next day. They charged me $26 for the H tank refill (replacement) and $25 delivery charge. When my cycle was over they picked up the H tank and reg and stopped charging the $64/mo rent.

PF wishes,
Bob  
IP Logged
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 5:30pm »

Concentrator rents for $400 some a month to my insurance company.  I know I wouldn't even have that if it weren't for my insurance.

Getting a new supplier on Monday

You know this really sucks suffering and having to fight the battle with the suppliers as well. Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005, 5:32pm by KMT » IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #20 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 7:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

O2 site is working now.

Click PayPal at the bottom of this page.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss