Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zyprexa.... kick a$$ abortive !! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zyprexa.... kick a$$ abortive !!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zyprexa.... kick a$$ abortive !!  (Read 4606 times)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Zyprexa.... kick a$$ abortive !!
« on: Jul 9th, 2005, 6:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I was having a period of which I was not responsive to O2 nor triptans. Dr. Sheftell consulted with Dr. Rozen and perscribed Zyprexa in attempt to abort my CH.....

I was using it when O2 & trex didnt work so really didnt know if it was that, that helped or just ended (poor testing I know)

Like many, I hate the nastiness of the triptan hangover and try my hardest not to use them as a general rule...

decided to take zyprexa alone to abort. WOW!!!!! and as fast as trex or O2 worked for me in the past.

I split a 5mg pill (2.5 for you math majors) popped it and literally less than 10 minutes I felt FINE = PF!!  
I have never had the CH completely leave, I always have some lingering, never completely PF.

The other difference ws no triptan hangover. I was a bit in a zone for about 5 minutes. I felt like I was just stairing into space but then fine!

It seems worth it to me!

1: Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6    

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.
=======================================================
Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=======================================================
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Re: Zyprexa.... kick a$$ abortive !!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 6:51am »

Eric -  

Glad it worked that well for you!!  Zyprexa was one of the first abortives I was ever given for the NDPH.  It didn't work as an abortive for me, but instead as a 'dulling force' since as you know, I'm never PF.

How is it working that fast?  That's awesome!!  I used to take a 5mg pill (oh btw, you can actually get them prescribed in 2.5's if that works best for you!), and for a little while before being admitted at one point, I was taking 10mg a day of Zyprexa.  It knocked me out - that's how it helped.   Undecided

Geodon is another atypical antipsychotic they've used here and there.  I did not do very well on it, but it does come in IM injectible form if worst comes to worst!

Hoping the Zyprexa continues to knock out the beast for you - and maybe get you some sleep as well!!!

Hugz,
Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:01am »

Don't tell me, let me guess............

It's so effective you've bought shares in the company!

Am I right?  Do I get a prize?

Seriously, though, glad you've found something  (anything!)  that works and thanks for passing on the word.

Gunna look at that one myself,

Brian.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:50am »

Good to hear Eric.

Hope it keeps working for you.

PF
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 10:36am »

Lovin' that zyprexa!!! Grin

IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 1:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Dr Rozen also tried Zyprexa on me. Didn't help. At the time I was having a really bad time and would've tried anything.  

At least it worked for you! Hooray headbanger

Unsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #6 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 5:15pm »

Hey, that's great, Eric!!!  Cheesy
I'm very happy for you. hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:35pm »

Glad to hear you found some relief!
IP Logged
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2005, 3:47am »

Good to hear e-double!  

I haven't heard of "zyprexa". (How do they think of these names?) Keep us posted; I am sending my vibes out to you bro. Kick that creature back to the depths of hell. (Give it a good kick for all of us while you are at it!)  Wink

IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 4:58pm »

It does help some folks. Save it for when you really need the sleep because it will put you DOWN for the count. Sometimes that is a good thing, but I can't work and take it.

One other heads up, this stuff will pack weight on you faster than prednisone, and I'm talking about 20 pounds if you use it for more than a month.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss