Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 10:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Drug money »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Drug money
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Drug money  (Read 625 times)
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

Drug money
« on: Jul 11th, 2005, 5:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Big Pharma is always saying they cannot lower drug prices because it costs so much in research and development to bring their products to market.

Well, they do spend a lot of money on R&D. In 2004, Pfizer spent $7.68 billion on R&D, and Glaxo spent $5.2 billion.  

But that was chump change compared to what they spend on marketing and promotion: Pfizer spent $16.9 billion, and Glaxo spent $12.9 billion - more than twice thier R&D spending.

This is according to a study done by the Center for Public Integrity. The whole story is at http://www.publicintegrity.org/rx/

Pfizer’s sales in 2004  - $50.9 billion, a 9.8% share of the market. Glaxo sold $32.7 billion, a 6.3 percent market share.

Of the top ten pharmaceutical firms, only one - Sanofi-Aventis - spent more on R&D ($9.26 billion) than on marketing and promotion $5.6 billion).

Johnson and Johnson spent three times what they did on R&D on promotion and marketing: $15.8 biillion vs. $5.2 billion.

The top ten Big Pharmas:sold $265 Billion in drugs  in 2004, spent $50 billion on R&D and almost $100 billion on marketing and promotion.

To be fair, some of this markeing and promotion cost went for free samples.

To be just a little unfair, this reminds me of what can be heard on certain street corners: "First one's free..."

First one’s free...

-tommyD

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2005, 5:59pm by tommyD » IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Drug money
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 7:25pm »

All too true!!!!!!

But is there any information about the political bribe money paid to our representatives and political parties?  

After all, how else can you explain the U.S. Pharmaceutical industries ability to remain the only protected industry in our supposed "global market" "Free Trade" economy?

Or do they just roll these costs up into the Marketing/Promotions category?

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 8:03pm »

The study says the industry as a whole spent $800 million on lobbying over the past seven years. Chump change for these guys. They bought the government for chump change.

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 8:13pm »

on Jul 11th, 2005, 8:03pm, tommyD wrote:
The study says the industry as a whole spent $800 million on lobbying over the past seven years. Chump change for these guys. They bought the government for chump change.

-tommyD

I guess if you only count what our Representatives reported........ laugh

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss