Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 2 Prednisone ?'s »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   2 Prednisone ?'s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2 Prednisone ?'s  (Read 393 times)
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

2 Prednisone ?'s
« on: Aug 7th, 2005, 1:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got my Prednisone tablets today, 20 mg each.  Started today with 3 tabs, equals 60mg.  Please correct me if I am mistaken, but the recommended way to take these for CH is 60mg ED for 7 days, then taper down 10mg day to finish?

Question #2....Read somewhere that Pred is catabolic.  Meaning that it eats away at muscle.  Also read Pred increases water retention, stores body fat and creates a loss of strength.  Is all this true?
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: 2 Prednisone ?'s
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 4:28am »

Hi Gregg,
In answer to question 1.. it varies. Different doctors will start with slightly different doses sometimes but your's is pretty much standard.
2. Yup, all of the above and many more besides! Steroids are pretty scary drugs as you know which is why it's recommended you stay on them for no longer than 3 weeks, the intention is to give you a pain break whilst another med such as verapamil has a chance to kick in. They are not intended as a stand alone med as sadly, if you don't have something else to take over when the steroids stop the chances are very high the CH will just come straight back.
I hope this helps.
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 6:08am »

doesn't sould like pred is too good for you.  I've never used it. I went 14 years with no proper diagnosis and this year got O2. I've read it doen't work for everyone, but i was one of the lucky ones. I recommend trying that first if you already havn't. If you have then I guess try pred. I guess getting rid of pain is first thing on your mind.
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 11:34am »

Did a bit more research last night after I started this thread and now realize how serious corticos like Prednisone really are.  Guess the best thing to do in terms of health is to increase cardio to at least 30 minutes daily, do some type of physical activity such as lifting weights everyday to avoid the catabolic affects, eliminate sodium intake, increase water intake, stick to a healthy diet of high proteins (about 1 G per lb of bodyweight) and good carbs such as brown rice, baked potato, yams, brocolli, oatmeal, etc.  Also to keep the carbs to morning, afternoon and early evening...at least 3 hours before bedtime to avoid it storing as fat.  And lastly, to eliminate bad fats and foods with artifical sugars.  These are all basics for any healthy diet anyway, so can't really hurt providing while on corticos something similar to this diet is followed.
IP Logged

bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 8:39pm »

I took the pack last year. My doc said that I probably would be hungry all the time. But I really wasn't. I was fine until the end. Nothing bad happened. I just started to feel yucky the last week. But I became pain free for a little while,  and that's nice.
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Tried Pred, 3 trials of it, for the 1st time during my last cycle that started in 9/04. Did stop my clusters, did increase my appetite but at the 30 - 20 mg point on the taper down is where I had my problems. I actually experienced withdrawal symptoms, i.e., couldn't sleep, shakes, cold sweats, chills, etc., for 2-3 days on each taper down. Also the clusters returned with a vengeance at this point, obviously the preventative I was on (Lithium and Inderal) didn't work for me. Decided to stop all conventional meds at this time and try an alternate therapy. Finally got out of cycle after 8.5 months, usual cycles historically would last on average 8-12 weeks. Wonder if the Pred may have been the reason for my prolonged cycle.  
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:52am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
docblondie
New Board Newbie
USA 

none

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:04am »

Hey LV,
Yep Pred is not good for you- It has been the only saving grace for me though.  Here's my Hx.  I have been on and off pred. since '89.  My dose is 80mg for 7 days- 60 for 7, 40 for 7, 20 for 7, 10 for 3, stop.  Clusters usually return in two weeks, I start the whole process over again.  I usually have about 10 months of remission after a 7  month cycle of headaches.  So, as you can see, I have been on high doses of pred. for long periods of time.  I am a 37 yr. old female, good health, no helath probs. related to the pred. use. (yet)
I am fit, 138 lbs, strong and active.  My diet is ok, I take 2000mgs. of calcium to ward off the bone loss due to pred.  (reccommended!)
Keep checking in with your primary physician as pred. can be damaging- but if you're healthy otherwise, you may be ok.  I may be an unusual case, lucky, but have had little probs. related to pred.  
I have found that a mix of topamax and verapamil makes the headaches more tolerable- more like a 7 on the 1-10 scale.
Best of luck!
Chris
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:22am »

Chris can I ask what dose of verap and topomax you are on please? I'm glad you have found something that is "helping" although I think settling for a "7" is not acceptable. Have you tried imitrex or O2 or any other abortives?  
Thanks  
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:13am »

The Pred is on taper at 40mg and getting hit once a day now for each of the last three 40mg days, basically PF for the last week-only 1 CH and that's cause I was stupid and had a couple beers and forgot to take my meds that night, leanred my lessons there.  My concern is I stretched the Pred with 60mg too long and now only have four 20 mg Preds left.   Don't know how to most effectively split this taper!????  Unless this Verapamil is going to finally kick in, guess i'm F--KED and have to deal with these CH's.  How long does Verpamil usually take to kick in?  Have been on 240mg for the week 1, then upped the dose to 480mg about 5 days ago, this Saturday will be 2 weeks total on Verapamil.
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:42am »

Dont make a big deal over nothing. You will only be on the pred. for 3 weeks. I use it evry cycle with no effects other than increased appetite and no pain.
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 7:27am »

on Aug 18th, 2005, 6:42am, don wrote:
Dont make a big deal over nothing. You will only be on the pred. for 3 weeks. I use it evry cycle with no effects other than increased appetite and no pain.

No big deal?  Well, when I don't have enough Pred to make it through 2 weeks, certainly not 3 weeks, and the CH's are coming back because the Verapamil hasn't kicked in...IT IS A BIG DEAL!!!  Anybody else appreciate "The BIG deal" that has a recommendation on how to use these last 4 Pred tablets and/or how long Verapamil usually takes to kick in?
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:38pm »

Re read my post.

Have you used any of these meds in the past?
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 1:32am »

Check your PM's Don.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss