Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Asthma meds and CH ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Asthma meds and CH ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Asthma meds and CH ?  (Read 257 times)
boos2

Email

Asthma meds and CH ?
« on: Aug 10th, 2005, 12:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This may get long but please bear with me, I tried search but didn't come up with anything.  It could be my comp. Couple of questions at the end.

I have been PF for at least 2 years.  I decided to go the allergist to see if I could get these allergies under control.  I live in Houston, one of the worst places for allergies. Anyway, they start running some test and it turns out I have asthma.  No real surprise, my dad is a severe asthmatic.  They put me on some new meds and BOOM I start getting CH's again. They are getting bad, multiple hits a day.  I go to my neuro and he says there is a correlation between the asthma medicine and the CHs tells me to stop taking the medication. I am in good shape I exercise often I've even done the MS150 4 times (bike ride from Houston to Austin) never knew I had asthma before so I don't have any prob. not taking that med.  I go back to the allergist he says there is no link between the two.  But gives me differerent medication to try in case headaches are a side effect of the other med.  I have actually been PF for 2 days, think the cycle is maybe over, start taking the new medication for asthma and Boom, get hit again.

OK that was a little history that brings us up to now. A couple of questions.

1. Is there or is there not a link or something going on between my medications?  This is what I take...

for CH  
Indomethacin daily and Imitrex as needed

for asthma
I was taking Advair daily and abueterol as needed
Now taking Q-var and Foradil instead of Advair

2. I was taking Verapamil and Imitrex but my neuro switched me to Indomethacin for a daily preventative.
Anyone else taking this?  He said he has had better luck with it than Verapamil.  Seems odd since I was having such good luck with Verapamil.

Sorry so long I was trying to keep it short, I'm just looking for any insight into this. I just want some relief and I am trying to figure out if there is a connection, since my doctors seem to have differing opinions. The CHs will win out if I have to make a choice, but supposedly I am only using 54% lung capacity and if I don't treat the asthma it will get worse ( my dad is in the 20% range) .  

Thanks for any input.  I don't post much no internet at work (limited sites). Don't have much time to post but lurk and read when I get a chance. This site has helped more than once.  Thanks again.

Mike
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Asthma meds and CH ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 12:38am »

Hi Mike ...  

(1) I don't think there is any link between asthma meds and CH. Never heard anyone else mention a link either. I took both Advair and Albuterol before and it had no effect on my CH condition.

(2) If the Indomethacin doesn't work within a week, it's not going to. (MHNI told me that) Also, I don't see why your doc took you off the Verapamil if it has helped you in the past. I'd be asking for that again!

Hope you find some relief soon.

Best wishes

UNsolved
IP Logged
boos2

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 8:09pm »

I thought it was a little weird too.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 8:32pm »

Indomethacin shows good results for CPH, but not many success stories for CH.

The experts think Verapamil is still the preventative of first choice for CH.
              smokin
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 8:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It is possible that one of the meds triggered attacks....

When many of us go to the dentist we have to ask for numbing agents without epinepharine.

Some asthma meds have agents similar to if not containing epi.

This could set one off...possibly.

As far as indomethacin goes.....It probably will not touch the CH.

I have taken it daily for 1 yr for another HA type that I have in addition to CH. It keepd my icepick HA at bay but not CH.

I'm actually trying to come off of it so that I may attempt lithium yet realized that I could not go cold turkey, terrible analgesic rebounds!!!!!

Anyway back to the asthma meds.....it could be

Good luck!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
boos2

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 8:53pm »

Is it ok to take both Indomethacin and verapamil.  I still have a 90 day supply of the Verapamil.  I have been on the Indomethacin for a week now and I am still getting hit every day.  I just hope I don't get fired because my production has been way down over the last month since I've been in this cycle.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 8:59pm »

Yes!

I was taking 560 of verapamil and at one point was up to 100mg of indomethacin.

now 560 verap & 50 trying to get down to 25 (today) and then nothing.

It is safe, might mess with stomach a little but ok otherwise.

Hang in there

E
IP Logged

Space in-between them
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:00pm »

go to the "getting to know ya board" and print out the letter to employers & colleagues.

It has been extremely helpful for many of us!
IP Logged

Space in-between them
boos2

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:23pm »

I've printed that before.  It has been helpful.

Thanks so much for your insight it has been very helpful.

Mike
IP Logged
boos2

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 9:09pm »

Well, I'm back.

I hadn't taken any of my asthma meds since last Tues.  I went out of town this past weekend and felt great.  Just taking verapamil and singulair.  No headaches since last tues.  I was feeling really good.  So I thought I would try my asthma meds again today.  Bam! I got hit with a killer today at work.  My head is still hurting at 9 oclock at night. Not as intense a pain as when i got hit earlier just a shadow all day long.  There has to be some sort of connection.
IP Logged
boos2

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:16pm »

update for wednesday,

didn't take the Q-var of Foradil and no headache.

I may try one more time tommorow, but if I have another headache, that's it, back to the doctor to tell him he's crazy and there has to be a connection.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss