Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 2:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « We could of told 'em ... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   We could of told 'em ...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: We could of told 'em ...  (Read 432 times)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

We could of told 'em ...
« on: Aug 16th, 2005, 1:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 45 Issue 8 Page 1069  - September 2005
doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2005.05189.x  

Brief Communication  
Treatment of Cluster Headache Attacks With Less Than 6 mg Subcutaneous Sumatriptan  
Nora Gregor, MD; Christian Schlesiger, MD; Esra Akova-Öztürk, MD; Christoffer Kraemer, MD; Ingo-Wilhelm Husstedt, MD; Stefan Evers, MD, PhD  
Background.Subcutaneous (SQ) sumatriptan 6 mg is effective in the treatment of acute cluster headache attacks. However, patients sometimes benefit from a dose less than 6 mg.

Objective.Therefore, we designed a prospective open study to evaluate how many patients benefit from a dose less than 6 mg SQ sumatriptan.

Methods.We enrolled 81 consecutive patients with cluster headache and recorded their use of SQ sumatriptan and oxygen. Patients regularly using SQ sumatriptan 6 mg were advised to treat attacks with doses less than 6 mg and with oxygen. Efficacy and side effects of the different treatment options (6 mg, 3 mg, 2 mg, and oxygen) were evaluated.

Results.As a result, 74% of the patients using SQ sumatriptan 3 mg showed efficacy and 89% reported efficacy after 2 mg. Seventy-nine percent reported side effects after the use of SQ sumatriptan 6 mg (29% severe side effects). After the use of 2 mg SQ sumatriptan, only 50% of the patients reported side effects, none of these were classified as severe. Patients' preference was 41% for 6 mg sumatriptan, 28% for doses less than 6 mg, and 31% for oxygen.

Conclusions.We conclude that sumatriptan in doses less than 6 mg can be effective in the acute treatment of cluster headache attacks. We suggest that patients should have experience in their individual efficacy of sumatriptan doses less than 6 mg.

IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: We could of told 'em ...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 1:50pm »

Yeah, but they won't cut the price in half, will they? The "tip" is probably still the smartest way to get the most for your money.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 2:58pm »

This was my first cycle in almost 3 years, I had some Pretty Hard Hits a couple of times in the night.  

Each time I used only 2mg of TEX inj and each HA was gone in less than 10 minutes, which was good cause I didn't have alot of the side effects that I usually get from using the full 6mg...(Statdose Pen)

I talked to my Nero about finding out if I could get a 2mg shot.. She suggested the TREX Vials, but my Insurance would not let me get them, because they (Insurance) had to Preapprove them... Anyways...

So I just divide the Statdose refill into 3 seperate diabetic syringes... So that I have 3 - 2mg shots from one statdose refill...  

I keep about 9 syringes at the ready, so I do not have to mess with them during an attack...

Hope this helps...  

PFDAN's to ALL !!!
Charlie

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 4:42pm »

Quote:
We could of told 'em ...

We probably did. I'll bet they read it here and stole it from this site so they could say they tested the theory and make a bunch of money by publishing it.
Damn thievin' doctors.  
I want my money back! No, wait. I've never used imitrex......  
I want your money back. I want all the money back!  

Cynical BobG
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 7:10pm »

How long do you suppose it will be before they come out with 2mg Statdose Pens and charge the same amount?!?  I'll stick with my own method of division, thank you very much.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 10:46pm »

Posted by: Bob P

Yeah, but that would have just been anecdotal evidence and a couple hundred success stories doesn't mean squat, does it BobP?  Grin

Posted by: BobG
We probably did. I'll bet they read it here and stole it from this site so they could say they tested

I wouldn't doubt it came from here. Glaxo probably did some google searches to find out why some people weren't using their full allottment.
The numbers dont seem to quite add up though. Who used just oxygen so that more people preferred just 02 to the numbers preferring smaller imitrex doses? Guess we'd have to pay for the entire report.

on Aug 17th, 2005, 7:10pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
How long do you suppose it will be before they come out with 2mg Statdose Pens and charge the same amount?!?  I'll stick with my own method of division, thank you very much.

Kris

One good thing that may come from this will be more doctors may now prescribe the vials and more insurance companies may cover the vials.
What they'll probably end up doing is cutting the costs by 25% for the 2mg pens but then tell people they can now use three times as many shots, so people will end up spending 2.25 times as much each month. ;-(
I think I'll go check out Glaxo stock prices.

hmm..went up 14 cents today. Guess the prospect of people using less imitrex didn't scare the investors.
Analyst comments..
"Cites better-than-expected 1Q earnings; ups 12-mo. price target to $49 from $44"

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 8:32am »

Quote:
Yeah, but that would have just been anecdotal evidence and a couple hundred success stories doesn't mean squat, does it BobP?  
Only if I'm one of the success stories! Grin
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
don

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I want all the money back!

Standard Vegas response.
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 7:22am »

on Aug 18th, 2005, 6:34pm, don wrote:
Standard Vegas response.

Vagus Nerve Stimulation? (Getting reamed up the arse by corporate America, so hard and so long that it sends one into palpitations, causing them to proclaim, "I'M SICK OF THIS SHIT! I NEED A VACATION!!" then buying a ticket to Sin City, drinking more than any one person ever should, blowing their pension and their childrens' inheritance, waking up stark naked in a room where apparently, there was a hellacious party that was thrown, and one's head is lying in box of half-eaten pizza with cigarette butts ground out in the cheese, surrounded by empty and half-empty beer bottles with cigarette butts floating in them, wondering where one's clothes happen to be, and realizing that the door is wide open and people are walking past and gawking through the open door...

er... Nope. I know nothing about it.  Lips Sealed Cool Grin laugh
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005, 7:23am by Jeepgun » IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 3:55am »

on Aug 18th, 2005, 6:34pm, don wrote:

Standard Vegas response.

Responses were invented in Vegas!
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 3:59am »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 7:22am, Frank_W wrote:

Vagus Nerve Stimulation? (Getting reamed up the arse by corporate America, so hard and so long that it sends one into palpitations, causing them to proclaim, "I'M SICK OF THIS SHIT! I NEED A VACATION!!" then buying a ticket to Sin City, drinking more than any one person ever should, blowing their pension and their childrens' inheritance, waking up stark naked in a room where apparently, there was a hellacious party that was thrown, and one's head is lying in box of half-eaten pizza with cigarette butts ground out in the cheese, surrounded by empty and half-empty beer bottles with cigarette butts floating in them, wondering where one's clothes happen to be, and realizing that the door is wide open and people are walking past and gawking through the open door...

er... Nope. I know nothing about it.  Lips Sealed Cool Grin laugh

Hey Frank, that's just a typical day in the life of Don when he visits the joints on Fremont Street.
 Grin
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20th, 2005, 8:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I can only hope Bob.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss