Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 9:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mexican Pharmacies? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mexican Pharmacies?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mexican Pharmacies?  (Read 470 times)
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

Mexican Pharmacies?
« on: Aug 18th, 2005, 5:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anybody ever go to Mexico to get medication?  Living in Las Vegas, it is pretty close.  Anybody familiar with the names (probably in Spanish) of Imitrex or Zomig or other abortives?  Prices?  Anything to be concerned of or other suggestions to share/know ahead of time?  Anybody personal experiences?  Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
maffumatt

Email

Re: Mexican Pharmacies?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes I used to go quite often. My mother lives 90 miles from Mexico and goes there once a month to get her meds. Stick with the brand names and everything should be ok. Some perscriptions that you need here are not needed there and some are. I had some dental work done there too, no complaints..................................
Matt
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:37am »

Are these common to pickup in Mexico-----Prednisone, Verapamil, Imitrex-tabs, Imitrex nasal spray, Imitrex injections?  Brand names to look for or avoid?
IP Logged

marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 7:29am »

The brand names are different down there. Look for the composition (sumatriptan, for instance, for imitrex). The pharmacist will show you the brands that are made up of it. On the med box look for the name of the laboratory. You will be OK if you buy the ones from the big labs (pfizer, etc.). They all have subsidiaries in Mexico.
Jose
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 7:35am »

Matt and Jose,
Thanks for the tips...leaving now for a burrito and some meds.
IP Logged

LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 1:21am »

What a long day...110 degrees, but a dry heat!  Took about 6 hours due to detours to get to this border town outside of Yuma, AZ/Andrade, CA and drove back to Las Vegas in less than 5 hours.  Misson accomplished!  

Am not going to post prices here, but I confidently write that buying medication in Mexico is WAY LESS than anything here in the USA, with OR without insurance.  Each pharmacy is probably a bit different in price, at least according to the "hecklers" in the street trying to lure people into their pharmacy opposed to the over 10 pharmacies/competition on the same 1 block.  I got lucky and chose one that was clean, very organized with many bi-lingual (English speaking) knowledgeable employees.

Mexican pharmacies no longer carry Imitrex injections.  For whatever reason Glaxo no longer distributes to them.  So as for Imitrex, they stock 20 mg nasal spray inhalers (one per box) and choice of 50mg or 100mg tablets (two tabs per box) put out by GlaxoSmithKline.  The name of Imitrex in Spanish is Imigran.  My pharmacist taught me to check the expiration dates, which are all at least July 06.  

Prednisone...Spanish name is Meticorten Prednisona.  Available in both generic or brand name.    I'm not one to play with CH's and gamble on the quality of the mexican made generic, so I chose the brand name-Shering-Plough-for 3 times more in price.  Three times more in price for brand name over generic and still WAY LESS than USA prices.  One 20 mg tablet per box.
Generic quality had 100 tablets per bottle.  

Verapamil...Spanish name is Dilacoran Verapamilo.  They had sustained release and immediate release.  I chose immediate release, believe I read there is still controversy understanding which release method is best for CH sufferers.  Regardless, I chose brand name once again-Abbott.  30 tablets per box, 80 mg each.  

Just out of curiosity, I asked about Zomig.  They stocked it, but the price was the same as the Trex tablets so chose the Imitrex.

Also to note...no visit to the doctor required, hence save more $ and time...no script required, no insurance limitations on quantities, etc.

US Dollar vs Peso exchange rate was good, 30% discount for "bulk buy", no tax, however they do add on 4.4% if you pay by Visa or Mastercard.

At the Port of Entry...I parked on the US side and walked across the border.  When walking back, their is a checkpoint by US Border Patrol.  The officer looked in my two yellow plastic shopping bags and examined each box of medicine.  He asked who this was for?  Replied, me!  He asked if all of this was for me or if I intend on sharing with others?  Told him, once again, just me...stockpiling for 60 days now and possibly one year from now.  He let me go through the border without further hesitation and was very cooperative.  Apparently, due to the minimal restrictions on purchasing medicine from Mexican pharmacies and the VERY LOW PRICES compared to the USA, many people buy mass quantities of a drugs and distribute back in the USA.  Border Patrol did his job well!  

This road trip was worth it!!!!  Hope this thread was educational for you and/or your loved one....Gregg in Las Vegas

PS  I did have 2 CH's during these 13 hours and am thankful to those who replied with such understandable advice of how to use Insulin syringes with Imitrex.  PF in less than 3 minutes each time with 3mg shot each.  See thread on this Medication/Treatment board titled...Insulin syringe and Imitrex" for details of how to use it effectively.  Time to finally sleep....good night!

IP Logged

docblondie
New Board Newbie
USA 

none

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 5:13am »

on Aug 19th, 2005, 1:21am, LasVegas wrote:
What a long day...110 degrees, but a dry heat!  Took about 6 hours due to detours to get to this border town outside of Yuma, AZ/Andrade, CA and drove back to Las Vegas in less than 5 hours.  Misson accomplished!  

Am not going to post prices here, but I confidently write that buying medication in Mexico is WAY LESS than anything here in the USA, with OR without insurance.  Each pharmacy is probably a bit different in price, at least according to the "hecklers" in the street trying to lure people into their pharmacy opposed to the over 10 pharmacies/competition on the same 1 block.  I got lucky and chose one that was clean, very organized with many bi-lingual (English speaking) knowledgeable employees.

Mexican pharmacies no longer carry Imitrex injections.  For whatever reason Glaxo no longer distributes to them.  So as for Imitrex, they stock 20 mg nasal spray inhalers (one per box) and choice of 50mg or 100mg tablets (two tabs per box) put out by GlaxoSmithKline.  The name of Imitrex in Spanish is Imigran.  My pharmacist taught me to check the expiration dates, which are all at least July 06.  

Prednisone...Spanish name is Meticorten Prednisona.  Available in both generic or brand name.    I'm not one to play with CH's and gamble on the quality of the mexican made generic, so I chose the brand name-Shering-Plough-for 3 times more in price.  Three times more in price for brand name over generic and still WAY LESS than USA prices.  One 20 mg tablet per box.
Generic quality had 100 tablets per bottle.  

Verapamil...Spanish name is Dilacoran Verapamilo.  They had sustained release and immediate release.  I chose immediate release, believe I read there is still controversy understanding which release method is best for CH sufferers.  Regardless, I chose brand name once again-Abbott.  30 tablets per box, 80 mg each.  

Just out of curiosity, I asked about Zomig.  They stocked it, but the price was the same as the Trex tablets so chose the Imitrex.

Also to note...no visit to the doctor required, hence save more $ and time...no script required, no insurance limitations on quantities, etc.

US Dollar vs Peso exchange rate was good, 30% discount for "bulk buy", no tax, however they do add on 4.4% if you pay by Visa or Mastercard.

At the Port of Entry...I parked on the US side and walked across the border.  When walking back, their is a checkpoint by US Border Patrol.  The officer looked in my two yellow plastic shopping bags and examined each box of medicine.  He asked who this was for?  Replied, me!  He asked if all of this was for me or if I intend on sharing with others?  Told him, once again, just me...stockpiling for 60 days now and possibly one year from now.  He let me go through the border without further hesitation and was very cooperative.  Apparently, due to the minimal restrictions on purchasing medicine from Mexican pharmacies and the VERY LOW PRICES compared to the USA, many people buy mass quantities of a drugs and distribute back in the USA.  Border Patrol did his job well!  

This road trip was worth it!!!!  Hope this thread was educational for you and/or your loved one....Gregg in Las Vegas

PS  I did have 2 CH's during these 13 hours and am thankful to those who replied with such understandable advice of how to use Insulin syringes with Imitrex.  PF in less than 3 minutes each time with 3mg shot each.  See thread on this Medication/Treatment board titled...Insulin syringe and Imitrex" for details of how to use it effectively.  Time to finally sleep....good night!

Smiley
A note on the 50 & 100 mg tablets, you can break them in half and take half tablet and it will be just as effective- this way you now have 2 doses for the price of one.
Cheers,
Chris
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 5:53pm »

Glad to know it went well!! And thanks for the spanish translations. I've saved them here. I have family in Venezuela and sometimes I ask for meds from them because of price. Also JuanCarlos is building a spanish CH site out of Chile since he was so moved by this one, and I'm sure the spanish names will be of help. He already takes imigran, but the other names will help.

IP Logged
bradboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 7:22pm »

wow pain free in less than 3 minutes with injections? I'm going to talk to my doctor about this as an abortive. I talked to them today about 02 and they said they don't prescribe that as a first line of treatment. I've been waiting two days for my doctor to call me back after telling him the samples he gave me didn't work, I am so pissed he didn't call. The nurse I spoke to mentioned they were going to try me on the verapimil. I've been relying on percoset as an abortive but I have a tendancy to abuse them. I've always used them like candy whenever I have had them for toothaches or when i got in a car accident.

As for mexican pharmacies, I guess its ok if you can go there but I was told when shopping for meds online not to go with mexican online pharmacies because they don't always give you what you think you are getting and the quality isn't as good. I have used a canadian pharmacy for propecia (for hairloss). The price was much cheaper when I started but it continues to go up each time I order. Just an FYI before anyone uses online mexican pharmacies, or any online pharmacy for that matter, do some research and don't buy from just any website, be very careful. I've even heard stories of mexican online pharmacies not even sending you anything after you order....
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 9:52am »

on Aug 31st, 2005, 7:22pm, bradboy wrote:
I talked to them today about 02 and they said they don't prescribe that as a first line of treatment.  They don't know much about cluster headaches. Did you ask why they do not prescribe O2? O2 is cheap, safe and effective. It it a main line of relief for most people here and the people here are the experts.

I've been relying on percoset as an abortive but I have a tendancy to abuse them. THIS IS YOUR MOTHER SPEAKING "KNOCK IT OFF".

I've always used them like candy whenever I have had them for toothaches or when i got in a car accident. Do tooth aches and car accidents happen often? Or only when you're spaced out on percoset?

IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
bradboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 10:17am »

The only car accident I have ever been in was in March when some MORON wasn't paying attention and plowed into my VW beetle while I was stopped behind another car with is for explorer doing 45mph and sandwiched me. I am a very responsible driver and good thing I was wearing my seat belt and only suffered a minor back injury, still I was out of work 2 months.....

Bad teeth I get from my father and drinking too much mountain dew and not taking care of my teeth for years. I take care of myself teeth now and drink plenty of water. It also didn't help I didn't have dental insurance for many years.
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 2:28am »

Hilarious!
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005, 2:29am by LasVegas » IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:21pm »

Bro, careful with the dosages.  Certainly other people are more familiar, but for example, the Imitrex statdose is said to put 6mg in you.  I typically use about 1/4 to 1/3 of a dose.  Maxxalt i have says 10mg.  You are talking about 20 and 50 and 100mg of this same shit per dose?
Careful, check it out and make sure you got it right.
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss