Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Homeopathy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Homeopathy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Homeopathy  (Read 300 times)
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Homeopathy
« on: Aug 26th, 2005, 10:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25082005/325/new-study-says-homeopathic-medicin es-don-t-work.html

discuss amongst yourselves...
 Grin
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: Homeopathy
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 12:52am »

Quote:
"This finding is compatible with the notion that the clinical effects of homeopathy are placebo effects," it added after examining findings from 110 homeopathy trials and an equal number of conventional medical trials.

Practitioners of homeopathic medicine, invented in the late 1700s by German physician Samuel Hahnemann, believe that the weaker the solution, the more effective the medicine.

Huge popularity in 1779 Paris too when Franz Mesmer was magnetizing people.  Booted from Vienna, Marie Antoinette gave him a government pension in Paris, being she was Vienna-born royalty herself.  Louis XVI appointed a commission to investigate Franz Mesmer.  
  Ben Franklin was appointed to the commission but Antoine Lavoisier directed it.  The language was not yet in place, but what Lavoisier introduced to the study of magnetism was a placebo control and blind test.  
  The commission, which also included the ill-fated Dr. Gulliton, who afterwards died by his own invention, unanimously dismissed the practice as quackery.  They determined back then, the possibilities of abuse were great.  
  Well aware that sceptism was harder to sell than the supernatural, Franklin commented, "There is a wonderful deal of credulity in the world, and deceptions as absurd have supported themselves for ages."  
  Mesmer continued unabated, the exercise of reason - and well planned inquiry - could not eradicate superstition.  Franklin would be surprised at the persistence of delusion, a more lucrative business than he had imagined.  Franklin himself had toyed with electrotherapy and concluded the minimal results were psychosomatic.*

327. 7304  S  

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2005, 7:58am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 9:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

In Hahnemann's time his treatment of giving patients a few drops of water was much better than the 'conventional' cures. The usual blood-letting, purging and other more harm- then helpful procedures of the time were rather weakening than helping an already sick patient. So Hahnemann can be credited for letting the natural healing power work, enhanced by the wonder drug "placebo".

In todays science there is nowhere the slightest hint of the 'memory effect' of water, the cornerstone of the homeopathic superstition. Or could it be, if, for example, meteorologists adopted the homeopathic view of water, they could make better weather, with rain and wind more evenly distributed than today?   Grin

Alchemists had to buy lead for their attempts to make gold. In homeopathy tap water is turned into the equivalent of gold, money.

I'm glad to observe that our government did at least one sensible thing this year: They kicked off homeopathy from the list of treatments health insurance has to pay for (together with craniosacral and other bogus treatments, but sadly not acupuncture).    laugh

PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin

IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 12:10pm »

Homeopathy --

I found a "homeopathic remedy finder" on the net and entered the symptoms of CH. It said the homeopathic remedy for CH symptoms is belladonna.

The following is a quote from Erowid about belladonna:

"First of all I like to inform all that playing with belladonna is like playing with dynamite. LSD, X, DMT are no comparison to atropine based plants. With most these drugs no matter what you see (I do not call for example LSD a hallucinatory substance, it causes severe distortion of sight, sound and mind) you are still aware that the plant or chemical are responsible for the effects. With belladonna the entire concept of reality goes down the drain, the very fabric of reality will break down. you can be sitting down watching t.v. at one moment and next you see your dead grandmother next to you on the sofa asking for more tea. I am not kidding here you will not know what is real and what is not. I personally took a bath with over million insects and did not know that this was not real. You can be contacted by numerous alien entites (remember witches at sabbat using among many other things belladona, visiting satan himself) that either can frighten you to death or make you touch an angel. Now enough scaring you. No, not enough you can easily die and I mean easily... Last note even seasoned trippers like Terence McKenna are afraid of where a belladonna trips takes them. As Terrance once told me, the places belladonna takes you, you were not meant to go."

BB
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 12:28pm »

I read the article on Yahoo news yesterday, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't homeopathic treatment also include using the likes of LSA, shrooms and kudzu??

Also, I was looking to see who sponsored the study.. I couldn't find any info. on that. Undecided
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 1:07pm »

on Aug 27th, 2005, 12:10pm, BikerBob wrote:
Homeopathy --

I found a "homeopathic remedy finder" on the net and entered the symptoms of CH. It said the homeopathic remedy for CH symptoms is belladonna.

No doubt that the various chemicals in the atropine family can have serious negative effects.  But the dose is the poison for many compounds.  

With homeopathic meds, there is a strange notion that less is always more.  Some of these are so diluted that they don't contain a single molecule of the 'active' ingredient. You would probably get a bigger dose of those strange and terrible compounds driving by a corn field where datura grows as a weed (and even that has no effect).  

To make things more knarky, some things being billed as 'homeopathic' remedies do contain relatively large amounts of a compound (ie, some are standard herbal salves, etc).    
---

Good to see you back, Ueli, I assume all went well.   Doctors with balloons worry me less than clowns with balloons.  

---

Quote:
I read the article on Yahoo news yesterday, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't homeopathic treatment also include using the likes of LSA, shrooms and kudzu??

Homeopathic  concoctions can use anything - herbs, minerals, medicines, etc.  They believe that a very low dose of a compound has the opposite effect that a high dose does.  So if something causes a fever, the 'laws' of homeopathy say that a very diluted amount will cure fever.  They also believe that the more diluted the fever causing compound is, the more powerful the homeopathic fever reducing power becomes.    

Taking several capsules of kudzu a day is not a homeopathic dose.  Taking a low dose of shrooms is not homeopathic - the clusterbusting effect usually doesn't require a full blown trip, but most people do feel something equivalent to a few beers --- it is acting in a normal shroom way, not is some paradoxical anti-shroom way.  

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2005, 1:18pm by floridian » IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 1:11pm »

on Aug 27th, 2005, 12:28pm, Melissa wrote:

Based on the definition of homeopathy, I would say that treating CH with those things is not an example of practicing homeopathy:

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=homeopathy& amp;x=20&y=14

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Melissa

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 1:43pm »

Ok, thank you for the correction Flo & Steve!

Smileymel
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss