Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil  (Read 250 times)
bradboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Verapamil
« on: Aug 31st, 2005, 10:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My doctor called me in a Rx for Verapamil. I'm to take 120mg for 5 days, check my blood pressure, then take 240mg.

I'm also starting 9mg of melatonin tonight 20 minutes before bed.

I'm calling my insurance company tomorrow to see if I can get reimbursed to go to the New England Center for Headaches in Stanford CT. If they will I'll set up an apointment but won't get in for a month.

I have an MRI with my neurologist on Oct 7th.

The past 3 days or so I've also been getting migraines which kind of scares me. Although the migraine isn't nearly as painful as the CHs its still annoying.

I feel better now that I've found this message board and doing research understanding what is going on with me, I just wish I didn't have to go through it.....

I think I've figured out what triggered this cycle, it started the last time I flew on an airplane a month ago. I was supposed to go to Utah on business on Sept 18th but was able to get out of it and hopefully won't have to travel until I get this under control.

I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see if I can get an abortive as well, I like the idea of the injections because I read in here today someone got relief in 3 minutes.

thanks everyone and I hope you all have a CH free night. sweet dreams.
IP Logged
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

Re: Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 11:02pm »

Sounds like you're on the right track Brad.  I've always been a little hesitant of the side effects of the preventatives like verapamil, so I choose to stay away from them and go with the imitrex and O2 when I'm in cycle, I've had good luck with both.  I was just reading your other thread, glad to hear you're not going to have the sinus surgery.  Imho, ENT docs are a little to quick to jump on some of their procedures to try to fix things, it's like they are all looking to make the next payment on their new Lexus  Wink  I'm glad you're finding some good info here on the board, like I said before, if you need anything don't be afraid to yell.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 11:54pm »

When I first started verapamil, I had my first PF day after about two weeks when I was up to 240mg (had three that night, but had 02 to help with those).  Both the 02 and the Verapamil were DEMANDED from my doc, supported with info copied from this site.  Suffered a year of misery, mis-diagnosis, tests/scans (all normal), and non-working meds before coming here, finding a "name-for-the-pain" and the information/weapons to battle the beast.

No matter what other abortive(s) your doc prescribes, make sure you get a script for 02.  Works for most of us  . . .  relatively inexpensive, no side effects and works in minutes if you use it early-on in the attack.  You need a 15 lpm regulator and non-rebreather mask (the one with the bag)

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 5:41am »

Hi Brad,  
I hope you are able to go to NECH....they are the best! I see Dr. Sheftell. They are all wonderful.
A month is a pretty short wait for there. If the appt ends up farther away than that ask to be put on a cancellation list.

I also have migraines and CH. verapamil helped me with both, so does the oxygen, imirex,  and O2. It is importamt to have the sepaprate diagnisis, because sometimes you might need other prevents and aborts just for the migraine.

Quote:
I feel better now that I've found this message board and doing research understanding what is going on with me, I just wish I didn't have to go through it.....
Wish you didn't either, Brad..but very glad your here Smiley

Let us know how you make out.
Be well and PF!
-lionsound
IP Logged
bradboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 7:48am »

It happend again last night about an hour after I fell asleep. The headaches are feeling different now. It used to be a sharp pain between my eye and top of my nose, like a shooting or stabbing pain. Now, it still starts there but my whole forehead has intense pain almost like my brain is exploding. Also just above my temples feels like blood vessels are swollen.

I feel very groggy this morning. Not sure if its the melantonin, the verapamil or the percoset I took throughout the night, I'm not sure how many I took probably about 6 or 8 the past 24 hours.

I almost went to the ER last night....I almost wish I could be hospitalized at this point.

I'm going to call my neuro today and the NECH after I call my insurance company.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss