Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 8:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « More about KUDZU...?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   More about KUDZU...??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: More about KUDZU...??  (Read 266 times)
cherylc
New Board Newbie
Canada 

4 baby girls

More about KUDZU...??
« on: Sep 15th, 2005, 9:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well...I am an episodic CH sufferer.  My last episode was in January.  I read through the info on this site and presented my doctor with the info on O2 and got a prescription.  I used the O2 as described and was able to cope and get through my cycle.  I also started using Melatonin at night and taking calcium/magnesium supplements and drinking lots of water, as mentioned by different posters on this site.  My night time hits decreased and thanks to this site I got through the cycle.

I continued taking calcium, but stopped taking Melatonin when the cycle was over.  Well, after camping for a week in August (not sleeping well on an air mattress) and forgetting to take the calcium, I ended up with a CH the day after we got home.  I immediately came back to this site, ready to try anything you suggested.  Since Kudzu was easier to get then mushrooms I decided to try it.  The only brand I found was Solaray so after reading through the Kudzu survey I decided to take 2 pills that night and then 2 per day.  After 2 days of CH hits the results from the Kudzu combined with 6 mg of melatonin at night was IMMEDIATE! I kept my O2 tank ready.   I couldn't believe that it worked, especially after trying so many different medications over the last 24 years.  I still experienced slight pain over my eye every once in awhile (I assumed would have been a CH), but had no CH's for a week.  That weekend we went to a family wedding and I ended up staying up late, not taking my KUdzu at the regular times (9 am and 9 pm), and forgetting to take Melatonin.  Was hit with 2 kip 10's in 24 hours that the oxygen didn't even work on.  Once I returned to my routine of taking the pills, I had no more ch's.  

WOW...I didn't have to cope through this cycle.  They were gone!!  Now my question is...when do I stop the Kudzu?  It has been 3 1/2 weeks and my clusters used to last 3 weeks.  I am afraid to stop taking my Kudzu!!
Any advice?

I also think that it is worthwhile to investigate CH's and sleep cycles.  I have always been a "night owl"  and have experienced CH cycles after staying up late, studying for exams, working many night shifts.  I noticed this pattern before, but it really makes sense now that I have seen how Melatonin can help me.  Any comments?

Just wanted to say thanks again for this site and everyone that posts here.  If I had to rely on my doctors I would still be in pain, pacing in my room in the dark, throwing up, sweating and all that fun stuff!!  I feel so grateful that I had these last few weeks without CH's.  

IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: More about KUDZU...??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 10:53am »

Hi cheryl. I'm so glad you had good results with kudzu!  Smiley  I can only say what other episodics have said. Most try to taper a week or so after the last "activity". As you've found out, hits will happen if you taper during your cycle. You can take your time tapering. It appears that it's relatively harmless, so I don't think this is something you have to get off of quickly.
Continued PF wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 11:36am »

Cheryl, I'm so glad that the kudzu is working for you. Isn't it amazing? Especially when compared to some of the heavy-duty drugs that most of us have put into our systems, trying to treat CH.

I too, have wondered at the night-owl syndrome and what effect it has on CH. My theory is that a major factor that contributes to CH is somehow related to seratonin, dopamine, and melatonin levels. I have no way of proving it, testing it, or scientifically measuring it, though. Hopefully, someone a lot smarter than I, will come up with a study, someday. In the meantime, congratulations. May you continue to have a mild and pain-free cycle. After I had been completely pain-free for two weeks, and I didn't feel it "lurking," (hard to describe that feeling...) I quit taking the kudzu. I didn't taper it or anything. I just stopped, with no adverse effects, other than having recently grown a tail and a few extra fingers on each hand.... (I'm kidding)  Grin
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 12:08pm »

ditto to what Frank said regarding finishing the Kudzu regime. I've pushed it too soon, both times on stopping taking it. And paid. This time after a late hit I decided I would take it till I started feeling (thank Nani for this description) empty-headed. That feeling of "its" presence having vacated the premises. Like Frank said, its hard to describe but I've now reached a point where I'm pretty sure I know when it has really gone away. Then I quit - and just flat stop taking them -- no taper.

I don't like taking anything longer than I have to.  

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 2:07pm »

What is this thing you call sleep? Grin

Awesome results!!!

Feel good!

Ex2
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss