Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 8:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Work-Telling the boss about CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Work-Telling the boss about CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Work-Telling the boss about CH  (Read 297 times)
jon019

Email

Work-Telling the boss about CH
« on: Sep 15th, 2005, 9:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello All,

Yes, I'm new here. Trying to tread lightly. Searched the archives and could not find this info.

Looking for advice, info, experiences  about how to approach boss and coworkers about my CH. Right now all they know is that Jon has a "headache" problem. They've been understanding but I KNOW they have no concept of what CH is and someday the patience is going to wear out. Been missing a lot of work lately and rushing out of meetings even when it was my turn next. Bottom line, theres a job, get it done. Not even sure that educating them will be better. Might just be supplying ammo to get rid of this "freak".

Am I sounding paranoid? Maybe. This thing affects all aspects of my life, consumes my thouhgts, and losing my job right now would just be the topper.

Intending to use the OUCH letter to friends and coworkers as starter. Good idea? Any others?

Any and all replies appreciated.

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Work-Telling the boss about CH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 10:19pm »

Somewhere on this site is a letter to employers/co-workers.  I just switched computers, and this broswer is messed up. But I think you can access it through the greeen buttons on the left side.  (I think they were green. What other color could they be?)
IP Logged
jon019

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 10:24pm »

Dang, what a knothead. Just found the thread re this subject in the CH specific site. Been concentrating so much on meds and treatments site that I missed it. Sorry all, I will get better at this.

Jon019
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 11:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hate when it affects work and I guess how coworkers and supervisors react has a lot to do with your job. If you work retail or sales where you have to deal with people a lot it could be a major problem. If it's a job where they don't care what eight hours you are there as long as you put in your eight hours, then it's easier.  

I've had CH for over 20 years and have worked as an engineer for the same major aerospace/defense contractor for about the same amount of time. I sort of fit into the put in my eight hours whenever I do it category.

When the subject comes up I just explain it and that's that. I've had more than a few CH attacks at work too...

I closed my office door, turn off the light, and (must have been a Kip-9) was screaming. My supervisor heard me and was going to call 911. Somehow I mumbled "don't need to". Later I had to explain CH to him but never had a problem after that. If Frank's door is closed and the light is off... come back later.

Another time I scheduled a design review meeting for my design (I'm a computer hardware designer). So about 20 people are sitting in a conference room looking at the Powerpoint presentaion on the wall. As I was going over my design, it hit. I figured I could continue another 15-20 minutes... but no go. It got up to a Kip-9 and I just stopped talking and walked out without saying a word. Later I figured these 20 people were thinking WTF??? so I sent out an email apologizing for my sudden exit from my own meeting and explained CH to them. Lots of sympathy later (I think maybe one of them understood what a CH is... his wife has CPH).

I have an O2 tank sitting on my desk. Every once in a while somebody will see it start a conversation about their father who uses O2 for his emphysema. So I get to educate another co-worker about CH.

I think the OUCH letter to co-workers is a good idea.  As long as you are open about what is going on and get your work done, most people seem to be understanding.

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2005, 11:49pm by FrankF » IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 12:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Its a tough situation, man.  Lots of people at my office have migraines, so they understand debilitating.  I tell them take the pain of a 2 day migraine squeeze it all into a 60 minute headache, thats how severe the shit is.

I just try to get my crap done, then at least they cant bitch that you arent getting stuff done.  I am a consultant, though, so its a little different.
GL, man
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 6:28am »

Here you go.

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/resources/emp.htm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss