Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 7:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex multi day usage..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex multi day usage.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex multi day usage.....  (Read 347 times)
brokencranium
New Board Newbie
USA 

4th Generation Cluster Dude!!

Imitrex multi day usage.....
« on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 5:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello BB.... I am new and am hoping to start a little dialog regarding the use of Imitrex (2x per 24hr. Inject) for extended days.....

FYi: I am lucky in that I only get CC's every 18 months (lasting 2 months every cycle).

I ask the above because I am currently at a "peak" with my CC's and am shooting 2x per day... I know I am at  high risk for rebounding at this rate (so my doc tells).....So far (last 10 days) I have hit the 20 shot level.....and plan to shoot 2x per day if I do not get relief....I do not experience any atypical side affects either.

Note: I am not shooting for 5,6,7 pain level hits....only the 10+ kind.....

I have been using Imitrex since 1994....It has been the ONLY thing that will abort an attack (8-12mins. avg.).
So far, I have not found a prophylactic drug that will work....My doc wants me to "blast" prednisone....That's another topic to discuss in itself....

I'll stop here for now.......Just hoping the BB community can give me a little more wisdom on the Imitrex thing...

Thanks and good luck to us all !!!!!!!!!
Phil
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Imitrex multi day usage.....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 5:44pm »

Phil, be careful. That's a lot of trex. It's no good to have a PF head if your heart craps out. I have never taken that much trex, so I cannot give you any firsthand experience.

Have you tried other abortives? Oxygen works well with many of us, and it's faster, cheaper and safer than trex. I only use trex on the off-chance when O2 doesn't do the trick. Check out the link on the left.

PF wishes.
IP Logged
brokencranium
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 5:49pm »

I hear ya.....I am a little concerned about it....
Yep, tried o2....all the other "goodies" out there too....No luck though.....

I am VERY open to ANY suggestions....I am "peaking" and am hitting that "desperate" mode we all hit....

3-4 attacks at night....90% PF days though......Bedtime is the enemy right now for me......
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 5:53pm »

Sorry to hear that, bro. Vibes coming your way...

Have you tried Melatonin? It helps a lot of us with the nighttime hits. 9 mg 30 minutes before bedtime helped me a lot last cycle. It takes a few days to build up, but once it did, I only got 1 hit per night, and it was about 7 hrs after I took it, so I got good sleep. YOu can buy this stuff at the pharmacy or supermarket.

Perhaps, if you've really tried everything else, it's time to think about the alternatives... Have you been to clusterbusters.com? Also, check out the thread on kudzu. I haven't used either one, but I have read a lot on both.

If I ever get a cycle where nothing works, I'd try one or both.
IP Logged
brokencranium
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:03pm »

Good feedback....Thank you very much for the clue on the Mel....

I am going NOW to the store for some.....

Any more advice from you or anyone out there is greatly appreciated.......

Thank you again for the advice.....and support...

IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I used mulitple shots of Trex daily for years. ( You gotta do what you gotta do )

UNsolved
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2005, 7:24pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2005, 6:31pm, unsolved1 wrote:
I used mulitple shots of Trex daily for years. ( You gotta do what you gotta do )

UNsolved

Same, with the n/s.

Never stop looking for a prevent though.  Took a looong time, but finally.
IP Logged
brokencranium
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 1:08pm »

Thanks......I spoke to my MD/GP this am and he said the same thing........Gotta do what you can at this point.....
I'm lucky in that I have no health issues that conflict with trex......At least for now.....

I tried taking Melatonin for the first time last night...9mg. 1/2 hr b4 bedtime......It may a few days to load in my suystem......I had an odd night too.....HA every hour after falling asleep (6 in all)....But they were'nt the 9-10+ monsters....They were 6-7.....Odd..
Maybe 2nite will be better....

Anyone had luck with Melatonin ?? or anything else along those lines?
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 7:25pm »

Hi,

Yes - Melatonin works for night hits.  During cycle, I take 9mg about 30 minutes before bed. It takes awhile to build up blood levels, so don't expect miracles the first night - maybe by the third or fourth night.

Meantime, with regard to the Trex ... have you tried splitting doses as suggested in the "Imitrex Tip" to the left?  Personally, I find that 3mg/dose does the trick.  Since at the peak of cycle I have 2 CHA's a day, that means I'm still only taking 6mg/day.

As a former nurse, I have objection to using the same needle more than once (though many others don't).  You can request multidose vials from your doc and pharmacy, along with TB or Insulin syringes to bypass that problem.  Regardless, splitting doses can help you stay away from the rebound problem.  

PF Wishes and Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 23rd, 2005, 8:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Meletonin didn't help me at all  Undecided
IP Logged
brokencranium
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 2:14pm »

Well, last night was my 2nd night on Mel... I had dramatic changes......previous nights 5-6 attacks at 7+ on 10 scale....... last night only 2 nd they were 2-3's.....

One night alone is hopeful for me.....I'll update as I progress......also too, I got a bottle of O2 and I think that may have "tamed" the 2 attacks I had......maybe kept them low on the pain chart at least....

IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 24th, 2005, 7:20pm »

Good for you!  That Oxygen is a life saver for many here.  On the plus side also ... maybe your cycle is winding down.  However, the combination of Melatonin and O2 could really be kicking the beast in the ass.

PF wishes.  Keep us informed.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
brokencranium
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:35pm »

Thanks for those encouraging words.....True, I may have peaked and am on the way out....

If so, then this round will be the most unusual I have faced since getting them (since 14, now 42)...

My MD had a new O2 tank delivered to me Friday that can deliver 15ltrs a minute......That seemed to work real well for me......

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss