Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex pills worthless? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex pills worthless?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex pills worthless?  (Read 548 times)
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Imitrex pills worthless?
« on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Been mostly free of these headaches for about two years except for the occasional shadow, but they just fired up again.

I went to a doctor today after having 7 headaches in one day. Normally I just suffer through the one or two a day, but after that little episode I decided I was going to see what a doc could do for me.

Well I went to this guy that a friend recomended. He is her family doctor and she said he was real good about helping her and her mom with their migranes, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Well I ended up with a few samples...Maxalt pills. Imitrex Nasal spray and imitrex pills.

I've seen the nasal spray around the site a bit, but never saw anyone mention the pills. Are they totally worthless? Is it going to be any use if I take a pill at the very first sign of a headache?

He wrote me a prescription for the imitrex pills also. I was thinking I should probably take it back to him and get him to write me a prescription for the nasal spray if I find that it works.

I'm just not any good at going to doctors and I guess I screwed this visit up.
IP Logged

Smiley
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: Imitrex pills worthless?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:23pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:12pm, OwieMan wrote:
I was thinking I should probably take it back to him and get him to write me a prescription for the nasal spray if I find that it works.

Ding!
Also, try the Zomig NS before you throw all your clams in one basket. The pills take too long, not worth it. Except for Frova, Amerge, Maxalt......oi vey. Let's not thicken the pie.
Wait'll you try trex jams or O2 at high rates.

Neat stuff.
RJ
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:26pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:28pm »

Hi,

Forget the pills - take waaaay too long to work for clusters.  I'm assuming here that you have been formally diagnosed.  For the latest in medical treatment, please try printing and reading this link.  If you want to stay with a GP, you'll certainly want to share it with him/her.  If you go to a neuro, you might still find it worth sharing.

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

A good and empathetic GP can be great - I have one.  And, this article is stapled inside the front of my chart.

PF Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:37pm »

Really I dont know what the hell it takes to get formally diagnosed. I've been to two doctors and they both said it sounds like cluster headaches to them. Is that formally diagnosed?

What about maxalt...those work in pill form? I didnt get what you meant.

Yeah, I'll go talk to him again and get him to give me a prescription for the nasal spray and ask him about zomig.  

He seemed to know a little about them and isnt afraid to try things at least. I've read the stories here about pain in the ass doctors that people have had to deal with. He says he isnt like that and is willing to try things. Although he said he is scepticle of the o2 treatments which so many here seem to swear by. I'll see if I can get him some more info for the next time I go see him.
IP Logged

Smiley
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:44pm »

Print the link I gave you.

Normally, you must have things ruled out before a diagnosis of true Cluster Headaches can be given.  This usually includes a visit to a neurologist, a CAT Scan and/or MRI, etc. to rule out things llike tumors or other REALLY bad things.

Also, take the Cluster Quiz to the left.  

I strongly urge you not to diagnose yourself.  Without a formal Cluster HA diagnosis, you won't find proper treatment and you won't be taken seriously by the professionals who treat this disorder.  

Take Care,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:49pm »

I hope I havent been living with a brain tumor or anyurism for the past 10 years Tongue Who knows!!  

Right now none of that costly medical expense is possible, so I'm just going to go with this doc and try these samples he gave me.

I've taken all of the quizzes and read tons of info. Some things are hard to overlook even though I'm not a medical professional.

One day when I have a decent paying job and medical insurance I'll go get a my head scanned, but for now I can barely keep my internet running.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:51pm by OwieMan » IP Logged

Smiley
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:53pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:37pm, OwieMan wrote:
Really I don't know what the hell it takes to get formally diagnosed. I've been to two doctors and they both said it sounds like cluster headaches to them. Is that formally diagnosed?

Sounds good to me, but there's many that'd disagree. If it sounds like a cluster, looks like a cluster, and feels like a cluster....
We aren't blessed with a plethora of knowledgeable CH docs. You're always your own best advocate.

What about maxalt...those work in pill form? I didn't get what you meant.

Imitrex is the shortest lasting triptan on the market, but the only one that comes in injectible form. Other triptans take longer to work, come in pill form, but the last from 4-24 hours, in theory.

Yeah, I'll go talk to him again and get him to give me a prescription for the nasal spray and ask him about zomig.

Good. I'm able to get by with snorts instead of jams. Good.

He seemed to know a little about them and isnt afraid to try things at least. I've read the stories here about pain in the ass doctors that people have had to deal with. He says he isnt like that and is willing to try things. Although he said he is scepticle of the o2 treatments which so many here seem to swear by. I'll see if I can get him some more info for the next time I go see him.

Nuthin like a doc that is willing to work with you. The only non-negotiable point should be oxygen. It should ALWAYS be used as a first choice abortive. Period. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, But the Survey Sez........try O2. First.

Luck.
RJ
IP Logged

OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:40pm »

So, I was lucky enough to get a headache a little bit ago and got to try my nasal spray. It had been trying to peek through for a couple of hours, then as I was typing that last post it decided to kick in.

All I gotta say is woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Still a little bit of burning above the eye and the neck is a little stiff, but it stopped it from becoming full blown.  

No zombie walking while tapping my head and moaning, so this looks promising.  

Dont know how I'm going to afford the stuff and I plan to look into getting a welding rig with an adapter, but I got my first taste of stopping one and I'm giddy as a schoolgirl.

IP Logged

Smiley
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:17pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:40pm, OwieMan wrote:
It had been trying to peek through for a couple of hours, then as I was typing that last post it decided to kick in.  
 All I gotta say is woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Yup. Take as directed. Works wonders. Pretty cool.

Dont know how I'm going to afford the stuff

Triptans are expensive, no question.  

I plan to look into getting a welding rig with an adapter, but I got my first taste of stopping one and I'm giddy as a schoolgirl.

Wait'll you kill one dead in it's tracks with some O2. I know where you can get regulators real cheap.

There should be lots more input, but I think you hit this place on Lithium Night.

Try again tomorrow.
RJ
IP Logged

OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 3:03am »

Will that regulator fit on a welding oxygen tank... read somewhere they are different sizes.

IP Logged

Smiley
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 3:04am »

Thanks for the link kris. I will see how interested this doc is in learning.
IP Logged

Smiley
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #11 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 8:12am »

I got my first taste of stopping one and I'm giddy as a schoolgirl.

I hear ya brother! the first aborted CH is the one that keeps you digging for more ways to stop'm. Wait'll you get a load of stopping one dead with a few puffs off the O2 tank. You just want to dance in the street and tell everyone you know.  

As for your doc being skeptical about O2 -- mine was too. didn't want to give the scrip for it at first but I more or less told him that I didn't care what he said, that oxygen was what I wanted and here was information that led me to the decision. I don't think he though I would leave without it.

keep on knocking them back.

scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 11:11am »

Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen .. Oxygen  .. Oxygen ..  

BTW, did I mention OXYGEN ?? ??

I bugs the snot out of me that doctors will gladly give out scripts for these meds that have a list, a mile long, with side effects or possible side effects.  Why are they so leary of oxygen?  It is cheap.  It is safe.  It is effective.  There are almost NO side effects.

BUT, let me warn you!  It will not work if it is not taken right.  You need a non-rebreathing mask, and a regulator able to go up to 15 lpm (litre per minute).

As far as using welding oxygen, have no fear.  A welder MUST have pure oxygen in order to get a good weld.  The tanks, most of the time, are filled from the same source.  There is no difference in the oxygen.  The difference is in the tanks.  Industrial tanks have different fittings than medical tanks.  Medical tanks need to be inspected and tested more often than industrial tanks.  IM Jonny (he is KING around here) about what fittings you need in order to convert to the medical regulator.  He will make sure that you have the information you need.

If money is a big concern, as you state, then oxygen is the way to go.

BTW, I am a 27 year sufferer, and the last 7 years, chronic, and the last 6 years, a worshipper of OXYGEN!

Good luck, and glad you found us.

Chuck

Have I mentioned the virtues of OXYGEN??   Grin
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 11:52am »

on Oct 4th, 2005, 3:03am, OwieMan wrote:
Will that regulator fit on a welding oxygen tank... read somewhere they are different sizes.

The 540 regulators WILL fit welding O2 tanks. Got a bunch of `em waiting for a good home. $12.50 plus actual shipping.

Yell as needed.
RJ
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2005, 11:57am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Imitrex pills are worthless to me. THe injections are magical though  Grin

UNsolved

Thank god for Imitrex !!
IP Logged
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 12:40am »

Thanks Mr Happy. I am going to look into these as soon as I get my finances squared away....it's not a good situation with me and money right now.

Any idea of the cost to purchase a tank and get it filled?
IP Logged

Smiley
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 1:00am »

Owie, just a few tips I have done in the last few years with the imitrex pills...when i dont have the shots....First of all, if i am getting slammed during the nite,  i will take one before i go to bed to try to abort it....it works alot of times for me....Second, i have dissolved the pill in water and kept it in a pill bottle so I can take it when i get hit...it seems to work faster for me........O2 helped me some but useless when i am at work as i cant use O2 on the job...or so my nursing supervisor says....you would think nurses would be more sympathetic to ch sufferers but i have found this is not true...Good luck! smiles, nancyc
IP Logged
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 2:53pm »

Thanks for the tip Nancyc I was crushing the pills up and putting them in a small piece of kleenex before eating them and it seemed to work better.  

I got a box of the imitrex nasal inhalers...6 of them cost 145 dollars so I am now saving for an oxygen tank hoping that works. The inhalers work ok, but not as fast as the first time I used them. No way can I afford to use these damn things.

The Maxalt pills seemed to cause me to have more headaches, gave me diahrea and generally made me feel like crap. I would get anywhere from 6-10 headaches a day after taking those...I tried them 3 times while waiting to fill my prescription. Once after taking them I had a headache that lasted around four hours, though relatively light. After that was finally done with I got about 4-5 more. The last time I took one I ended up getting at least 10 headaches that day, but they were somewhat bearable. It seemed that they would lessen the intensity of the headache, but just cause more of them....not what I was looking for.
IP Logged

Smiley
OwieMan
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 3:04pm »

Just as a side note... I had a friend that gave me a few doses of shrooms for the fun of it and I just happend to have them around after my headaches started. I tried them at two different times and the second time I did them I was hit 6 times the next day. So no luck for me with the shrooms.
IP Logged

Smiley
rextangle

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 3:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Owieman, with mushrooms or any clusterbuster treatment, it is normal to get hit fairly hard after dosing... the next 5 -7 days can be hellish... it's important that you read all the info at www.clusterbusters.com before doing it. Detoxing is crucial before doing it. Ask all the questions you have... many of us can help you.

Maxalt worked wonders for me for a while, but the rebound HA are nasty. It eventually stopped working and made every attack much more severe.  

02 02 02 02 02 02 02 02... as Chuck advised you.
That's your best friend!... and ask Mr. Happy about the latest 02 equipment. He's got it all!

Good luck and PFDAN to you,
Rex
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 6:05pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:17pm, Mr. Happy wrote:
There should be lots more input, but I think you hit this place on Lithium Night.

Sure!, pick on me when you know I dont wander down here much, Hap Grin

Owie Dude.....try renting a tank until your finacially stable, a scuba size can cost $160 to buy.

When you go to the welding supply joint DO NOT tell them you are going to breath it, for insurance reasons they will not rent to you.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

ClstrHeadSupport
New Board Junior
USA 

Supporter of my Cluster Head, Stephen Pope.

PopeFamily_430  
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 3:36pm »

They make imitrex in a nasal spray??  Does that work for anyone here?  I'm looking around for anything imitrex that works because injections work wonders but our insurance doesn't cover them.  We've recently tried the pills, the ones that supposedly are "quick dissolving" but that doesn't seem to be doing much.
IP Logged

Sara Pope
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 3:42pm »

If your insurance doesn't cover the injections, it probably won't cover the nasal sprays either.  They're about $20 - $25 a bottle here in Canada, one use bottles.  Not sure how much they are where you live.

Just a word of caution about imitrex though - yes, it does abort attacks.  But more and more people are reporting an increase in cluster activity when they are using imitrex.  My husband goes from 1 or 2 a day to 6 - 8 a day if he uses imitrex more than once a week.  

Zomig is another tripan drug but it doesn't seem to have this same side effect of producing more attacks.  I'm not talking rebound headaches here, either.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss