Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone, verapamil and ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone, verapamil and ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone, verapamil and ?  (Read 448 times)
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

prednisone, verapamil and ?
« on: Oct 5th, 2005, 3:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all! Chris here, I am looking for some suggestions. I have been suffering for the last 20 years as an episodic sufferer. I have most of the time been given prednisone as an prevent and imitrex inj as an abort. That was as long as I had insurrance. I currently do not have any so I am looking for another route. I am seeing the Doc (MD) in a few days so I am going to ask for a slightly different line of treatment. Keep in mind that I am trying to keep my med costs to a min.

prevent 1 : prednisone, 60-80 mg per day with two week taper

prevent 2: for when the pred stops working. verapamil, starting @ 120mg per day increasing 120mg every 3 days up to 600-900mg.

abort ? with these two prevents does anyone know of a good abortive that would be low cost? has anyone tried
zyprexa..that is what I am thinking about asking the Doc for......imitrex is out of the question this time around due to its high cost without insurance. I tried the zu last time around and it did not work to well for me. Any good suggestions for an abortive?

PFDAN to all!   Smiley Cheesy  Wink
Chris
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: prednisone, verapamil and ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 6:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

E-Double reports that Zyprexa has been useful as an abortive. It didn't help me though. As far as a cheap abortive med ... maybe caffeine, like a Red Bull might help.

Goodluck
UNsolved
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 7:25am »

Your doc can give you a sample of Zyprexa and you will know, within 1-2 doses, whether it works for you.  

Have you looked at:

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

and, http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/HA2005.pdf  
 Read all the material, even sections on migraine. Material which important to cluster folks is sometimes also common to migraine.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 10:45am »

Oxygen.  Can treat 20 attacks for the price of one trex injection.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 5:42pm »

on Oct 5th, 2005, 6:59am, unsolved1 wrote:
E-Double reports that Zyprexa has been useful as an abortive. It didn't help me though. As far as a cheap abortive med ... maybe caffeine, like a Red Bull might help.

Goodluck
UNsolved

Yup!
Zyprexa kicks ass as well as trex does for me.
Which means, 7-10 times will knock a doozy out and fast.
The other times just outta luck!
It is much cheaper than triptans and has not given any nasty side effects.

Oxygen is also much cheaper even if you have to purchase your own rig.

Good luck!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 6:32pm »

Sure would like to hear more about Zyprexa beta testing. Bob J has been hawking it's usefullness for a while. Eric, you're the first one I can remember with a positive Zyprexa vote....(there may have been others, mind like a sieve). Been trying to get Ozzy to Beta Drive a few complimentary tabs, but's he's on some kind of health food kick lately.....when he's not chomping Amerge and Trex snorts. The wimp.

O2, as always, is a first choice non-negotiable item. But I sure would like to hear some more from a few hearty Zyprexa trial-ees.

You go first.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 7:20pm »

Ditto to RJ.  I'd love to hear more success stories about Zyprexa.  Should this subject have its own thread?

Meanwhile, Chris ... give it a try, or go for the oxygen.  Whatever you choose, may it bring you PF time!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

christopherjc68  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 8:54pm »

Thanks Everyone for the input! At the time I am taking 1000 mg of Taurine, fast acting B12 and B6 tab and slamming it down with a cup of strong coffee as an abort. Seems to help alot! Tomorrow is the Doc apt.
I will ask for the pred and verapamil, and I guess I will do a trial on the Zyprexa plus look into some O2, I am limiting my med budget to about $150 for the total cycle.

I am sure the doc is going to recomend Topamax since she already mentioned it while I was making my apt.
I have never tried Verapamil before so I am curious to see how well it works! I think I will push that over the Topamax....I would love the O2 but without insurance and the time to set up my own rig I will have to see what the cost are and deposits if any...oh and I cant forget to get my Doc excuse! My Boss Seems to think that Clusters are made up and this is something that I invented During my last cycle I invited him over to watch me go through an attack but he refused....lol

Thanks All! Your all the Best!
many PFDAN to everyone!
Chris
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 9:08pm »

on Oct 5th, 2005, 8:54pm, cjc68 wrote:
Thanks Everyone for the input! At the time I am taking 1000 mg of Taurine, fast acting B12 and B6 tab and slamming it down with a cup of strong coffee as an abort. Seems to help alot! Tomorrow is the Doc apt.
I will ask for the pred and verapamil, and I guess I will do a trial on the Zyprexa plus look into some O2, I am limiting my med budget to about $150 for the total cycle.

Dude....setting a $150 limit on the cost of a cycle is....well........theyr'e called Suicide Headaches...people are having long term relationships ruined...job and homes are lost.....dogs and cats are sleeping together.
I salute you.

Long term goals exceed the value of short term benefits. Once in a while. (That's that Pappy Happy used to say. Never understood what he meant.)

$150 cycle. Neato.
RJ
IP Logged

allan_r
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 9:20pm »

For what its worth- I just started another round of verapamil and prednisone- having lived since feb with only oxygen as an abort.   The h/a s increased to 3 a day from 3 a week.  Oh well.  

The prescriptions - prednisone 22.41.  Verapamil 24.31 at a Walgreens.  Verapamil at 480 per day.    

The cost of oxygen- paid in full by insurance, however, while fighting for coverage I found the price to be billed without insurance at $65 per month minimum with a 7-10 per tank fee.  

I didn't shop around or investigate welding supplies- as insurance is paying.

Last year i was on Topomax for 5 months, worked until the last.  The cost was outrageous- over $230 per month as I recall on the label.  Additionally, don't try that- try verapamil first---- the Topmax side effects are serious both physically and mentally.  

Allan R

IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Oxygen.

The most economical and effective abortive you will find.
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

christopherjc68  

« Reply #11 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 1:55am »

on Oct 5th, 2005, 9:08pm, Mr. Happy wrote:

Dude....setting a $150 limit on the cost of a cycle is....well........theyr'e called Suicide Headaches...people are having long term relationships ruined...job and homes are lost.....dogs and cats are sleeping together.
I salute you.

Long term goals exceed the value of short term benefits. Once in a while. (That's that Pappy Happy used to say. Never understood what he meant.)

$150 cycle. Neato.
RJ
lol.. that sounds like a new thread " The $150 cluster cycle"  I was without insurance my last cycle as well, cost me even less lol, $60 red bull, $10 Kudzu, $20 prednisone plus all the other CH home remidies, Hot and Cold showers, lots of fish, White Grape juice and the list goes on and on....lol even tried the Tobasco sauce....lol
Chris
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

christopherjc68  

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 2:26am »

on Oct 5th, 2005, 9:20pm, allan_r wrote:

The prescriptions - prednisone 22.41.  Verapamil 24.31 at a Walgreens.  Verapamil at 480 per day.    

The cost of oxygen- paid in full by insurance, however, while fighting for coverage I found the price to be billed without insurance at $65 per month minimum with a 7-10 per tank fee.  

Allan R

Wow! that's not bad! I was under the impression that it would be at least twice that much! I am going to see what the doc says about using both the O2 and Zyprexa as an abort? I have only tried the O2 a couple of times during a trip to the ER while I was waiting for the imitrex to kick in.. It did help
This will be the first visit with this Doc....She has never treated C/H before but said she  seemed eager to try....lol not sure if this is a good thing or not....lol She said she will study up on them before my apt. I know I should go to a Neuro but he wanted $290 just for the first visit.....The MD is only charging me $85.
Chris
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

christopherjc68  

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 2:07am »

Well the Doc gave started me with a 100 mg prednisone taper (10 days), 240 mgs verapamill straight, no taper (said I should be on this all the time (full time prevent) and 5 to 10 mgs of zyprexa either just before bed or at onset, the first night I had about a k2 kit but quickly took 5mgs of zyprexa and it was gone in minutes.....no hits ever since approx 1 week. Every other night I have been taking 5mgs of zyprexa before bed! I cant really say if the zyprexa is working or not or if it is the prednisone and verapamil? The Doc did also gave me script for the O2 if I need it. lol...I was trying to do all this with a med budget at $150 but the Damn zyprexa was $180 for 15  10mg tabs that can be broken if need be. The pred and verapamil was only $10 per. Thats not too bad! The $200 cluster cycle budget......lol\
Chris
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 2:20am »

Hope you can get the O2 thing together.
Verap sure did me right.
Once the pred taper is over, you'll get down to the acid tests.
I don't know jack about Zyprexa, but I thought the 2.5 mg range was sufficient. You may possibly have 60 hits of abortive at hand.  Ask the experienced.

Good luck stumping the panel.
Tack on a $45 consult/arguement fee.
RJ
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005, 2:23am by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss