Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 4:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « This doesn't make sense to me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   This doesn't make sense to me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: This doesn't make sense to me  (Read 283 times)
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

This doesn't make sense to me
« on: Oct 7th, 2005, 1:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,  I've been  a clusterhead X20 years; about 9 years or so ago- after finally being diagnosed correctly with CH, I went to a neuro who really did nothing, asked me a couple of questions, I had an mri, and an eeg, which determined nothing, then sent me home with nothing.

I've been going to my family practitioner for meds each yearly cycle. I called him yesterday cuz the vrap isn't really working for me this time, and the nurse just called me back to say he may send me to a neuro for an evaluation.  What for??? What the heck is  a neuro gonna do for me that my doc can't, except order tests I don't have the money for (no insurance).

I see that a lot of you go to neuros; what do they do for you? Just prescribe meds?

Thanx,
Jen
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
unsolved1

Email

Re: This doesn't make sense to me
« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 1:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You need to communicate that information to your doctor. Tell him/her that you can't afford to go to a neuro right now. Most neuro's won't see you unless you have insurance to begin with.

Goodluck'
UNsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 1:19pm »

Have you tried oxygen, Jennifer? Remember to read the link on the left if you decide to try it. You can get a welder's oxygen setup without a prescription. PM Jonny or Mr Happy for details. You may want to consider the alternative methods we've discussed. No dr needed. Keep us posted, OK?
pain free wishes, nani
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2005, 1:20pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 1:22pm »

http://www.headachedrugs.com/pdf/HA2005.pdf  
 Read all the material, even sections on migraine. Material which important to cluster folks is sometimes also common to migraine.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 7th, 2005, 1:33pm »

Update- the dr just called back. He is giving me Topomax for the next 4 weeks. I followed the threads regarding the med and am aware of the side effects others have had. At this point, its worth a try.

Nani, haven't tried o2 on my own, admittedly I'm a little afraid to. But when I had a hellacious 10 and ER trip, it never even touched the pain.  

So I've been spared the neuro trip thus far.
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 9:04am »

Hi Jen..

Nice to meet ya...  

The Question about the Nero, I think myself its more of an insurance thing.... My GP Dr would not give me anything, except for samples when I went to him for CH, he told me that he would get into trouble with the insurance company. Then I basically had to tell the NERO what I wanted, they wanted to try all this different things I never read here before... But after I told them what I wanted and I get all my information from this site I got it.  

As for the O2, I tried it also in the ER, it did nothing, but this last cycle was so bad that I bought  my own O2 (Insurance would not cover it for CH) cost me about $200 dollars for a portable system and $10.00 refills on the tanks... After I practiced with it about a week, I learned how to abort HA with it, the O2 has been my first weapon of choice now.

Good Luck hope your cycle ends soon..

God Bless & PFDAN's
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 8th, 2005, 12:52pm »

Hi Jen,
Like most, you have to arm yourself with more info than the neuro can ever hope to have, and then you just have to use him to get what you want.  Tell the neuro you need O2, and you need some other meds for preventative and abortive.
You said the 1 time you tried O2, it did nothing for you.  I would try it again.  Get a non-rebreather bag, and make sure you get the neuro to prescribe it at 15lpm, that way the O2 supplier will give you a regulator that goes that high.  It might even be possible that you can simply talk over the phone with the neuro, that way you wont really have to have a doctor visit.
Oxygen is cheap, and works for more than half the people here.
PF wishes
BMonee

PS, if you get a neuro that knows a tiny bit about CH, Im sure it wont be a prob to just simply place an order with him/her for the meds you want to try.  
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss