Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 12:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question on O2 and trex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question on O2 and trex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question on O2 and trex  (Read 302 times)
kk
New Board Newbie
USA 

Question on O2 and trex
« on: Oct 10th, 2005, 6:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My doc finally broke down and prescribed O2 for my headaches (picking it up tomorrow) but I’m a little concerned because I’ve seen posts recommending 15 lpm, but his nurse said I’m to use 7 lpm for 15 minutes. Is this something I can adjust? I am getting the re-breather mask.

When I feel a headache coming on I usually wait until it’s a KIP 3-4 before I take a 1/3 shot of Imitrex. Immediately (1-2 min) after taking the shot, my headache goes to a KIP 6-8 before starting to subside, which may take 20-40 minutes. Is this typical of the shot? It always happens for me but I’ve never seen posts describing this effect on others. Will the oxygen have this effect or should the HA just dissipate?

Thanks for any input.

Ken
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Question on O2 and trex
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 7:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I can't speak for the O2 since I'm one of the few that it doesn't work on. I do know that it is recommended that you use a higher flow than that. (10-15 lpm)

Trex. My headaches usually get worse right after a shot before it gets better. Trex works for me within 15 minutes. 20-40 minutes seems like forever!

UNsolved
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 7:05pm »

on Oct 10th, 2005, 6:53pm, kk wrote:
My doc finally broke down and prescribed O2 for my headaches (picking it up tomorrow) but I’m a little concerned because I’ve seen posts recommending 15 lpm, but his nurse said I’m to use 7 lpm for 15 minutes. Is this something I can adjust? I am getting the re-breather mask.

When I feel a headache coming on I usually wait until it’s a KIP 3-4 before I take a 1/3 shot of Imitrex. Immediately (1-2 min) after taking the shot, my headache goes to a KIP 6-8 before starting to subside, which may take 20-40 minutes. Is this typical of the shot? It always happens for me but I’ve never seen posts describing this effect on others. Will the oxygen have this effect or should the HA just dissipate?

Thanks for any input.

Ken

The LPM thing will depend on your regulator. If yours only goes to 7 lpm, then that's what you're stuck with.....which is why I proport owning your own O2 crap. I've got 870's that go up to 25 lpm, and some 540's that'll blow out an E tank in 20 seconds. Pretty cool stuff.

Some folks jam Trex, ramp up quick, then ramp down quick. Others just ramp down. Unless it doesn't work at all, and a ramp up is the only choice. Variable mileage, and all that.

Same with O2. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Your choice. And don't forget Zyprexa.

Beta testers needed.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 8:01pm »

Quote:
I am getting the re-breather mask

You don't want this.  You want the non re-breather mask.  You want the 100% oxygen that the non re-breather delivers, not the 60% that the re-breather delivers.

http://www.rtlyrics.com/02Masks.htm

Smiley

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
kk
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 8:27pm »

Thanks for all the info. I’m going to the doc tomorrow for another round of steroids (Solumedrol via IV) to try and break this cycle. I hope to have enough posts affirming the 10 – 15 lph so I can print this page and show it to my doc. Maybe he’ll reconsider the 7 lph prescription. I’ll make sure he gives me the non-rebreather mask too.

Well, it's 9:30 pm here and I feel the bastard starting to wake. Looks like it's going to be another trex party night!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 8:57pm »

http://www.mhni.com/faqs_high_oxygen.html
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2005, 9:10pm »

on Oct 10th, 2005, 8:27pm, kk wrote:
I’ll make sure he gives me the non-rebreather mask too.

Bugger that. Get a Clustermasx from Big Ben.

It's well worth the price of admission.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 7:04pm »

on Oct 10th, 2005, 6:53pm, kk wrote:
My doc finally broke down and prescribed O2 for my headaches (picking it up tomorrow) but I'm a little concerned because I've seen posts recommending 15 lpm, but his nurse said I'm to use 7 lpm for 15 minutes. Is this something I can adjust? I am getting the re-breather mask.

I hope to have enough posts affirming the 10-15 lph so I can print this page and show it to my doc. Maybe he'll reconsider the 7 lph prescription. I'll make sure he gives me the non-rebreather mask too.  

How'd things go, and with an O2 company?

I started with the same script shortcomings.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005, 7:20pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss