Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapimil in episodic CHeads »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapimil in episodic CHeads
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapimil in episodic CHeads  (Read 356 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Verapimil in episodic CHeads
« on: Oct 13th, 2005, 9:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How long do you take verapimil if you are episodic?  Do you continue on a small dose even when you are not in cycle?
So lets say i take 480mg a day when in cycle, and then when the cycle is over, i reduce to 240mg a day.  You think that would help me to not start another cycle?  Or you just think i will build up a tolerance to it?
Thanks and PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

Re: Verapimil in episodic CHeads
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 11:55pm »

Episodic.
Ramp down. ASAP.
You'll be the first to know if it's the wrong choice.

Take what you need. Leave the rest.
Den

RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 12:00am »

You are saying i will be the first to know because i may get hit after i get it out of my system?
Thanks  
BMonee

IP Logged

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 12:19am »

Yup. Simple as that.

Only users lose drugs.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 3:58am »

Brian what dose of verap are you on? You should be winding down gradually anyway, I was recommended to wind down by 80mg a week (check with your own doc though cos you are not me!) And the good thing about doing it this way is if you are NOT out of cycle you are going to know pretty quickly and can increase your dose again. It'll take a few weeks to come off it but the advantage is you won't have to do much to increase the dose again if you were overly optimistic.. here's hoping your cycle is over!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 8:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Ramp down. ASAP.  
You'll be the first to know if it's the wrong choice.

Couldn't say it better than that. I waiy 2 weeks after the daily/nightly hits stop and taper off the verap.

Goadsby suggests that a tolerance may build and that you should not remain on the meds when out of cycle.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 8:57am »

Agree with all above.  I lower the dosage as soon as it is not necessary to take as much.  Sure, I've been wrong about when to lower it but...
  Anyway, it took me too long to find the level of dosage to tame the beast and I don't want to use that level unnecessarily.  Then taper down when able to the lowest level until not needed.   Just don't want the beast morphing or adapting by overly prolonged acquaintance with the verap.  Gives me confidence it'll work next time too.  

When the fighting's over, clean 'em up and store safely.

Quote:
and then when the cycle is over, i reduce to 240mg a day. You think that would help me to not start another cycle?  Or you just think i will build up a tolerance to it?

I'd think you'd just know when 240mg is not enough anymore.  

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005, 9:10am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 5:50pm »

Helen, i only take 180mg a day cause of a probable conflict with propranolol.  I take a half pill twice a day.
I have been skipping some doses recently cause my cycle ended about 7 weeks ago.  So I have been taking 180mg one day, and then 90 mg the next day.
I wonder if even that low dose made a difference cause i got hit on wednesday night.  It had been a good few weeks since i last got hit.
I expect to start a new cycle in this next couple of weeks.  I wanted to get the verapimil out of my system so that i can do a cluster-buster treatment right at the start.  Last cycle i did 2 treatments and i believe it reduced the severity but not the frequency.  
Thanks
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15th, 2005, 7:19pm »

Hi BMonee,

Sorry I picked up late on this thread.

I'm also episodic ... 3-5 years between.  After my first 2 cycles, I stayed on low-dose Verap (120mg/day).  My last cycle, I needed to greatly increase my dose to obtain relief.

When it was over, I decided to wean totally off between cycles.  I was afraid I'd reach a point where Verap wouldn't work any more.

Took about 4 months to do it from 600mg/day.  I did fine reducing by about 120mg/day every two weeks.  Took me the longest to go from 240mg to 120mg/day without shadows kicking in.  Been Verapamil-free for a long time now and am really happy about it.  Should I decide to go the traditional treatment route next time around, I figure the Verap will still work.

In other words ... if you don't need the meds between cycles, get rid of them.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss