Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « To: Pink Floyd, Flash and others »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   To: Pink Floyd, Flash and others
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: To: Pink Floyd, Flash and others  (Read 604 times)
forgetfulnot

Email

To: Pink Floyd, Flash and others
« on: Oct 15th, 2005, 6:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Subject: Shroom treatment

Recent experience:

After a year and a half of no clusters they began to creep back into my sleep, O2 would get rid of them for a while. As the O2 Became non-effective then I did the old shot of Imitrex. As this became a nightly deal, I remembered a 9 month old jar of mushies in the freezer.  

End result, during this time I increased Verapamil to 720mg with some relief. Now comes a small dose of shrooms, 2 hr buz at most. Had one of the worst C/H in my life, Imitrex to the rescue. Since that night everything has eased of and I am back to normal.

I would like to point out one thing which I don't agree with as follows,

Daily drug intake (not necessarily for cluster H/A)
Lithium 900mg
Verapamil 720mg
Xanax 2mg for stomach problems
Pentoxifylline 1200mg for improved blood flow
Imitrex as needed
I have never backed off any prescribed drug prior, during or after a shroom treatment.

Why would someone want to do that?  

Seems like sticking a sharp stick up your ass.

Lee
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

Re: To: Pink Floyd, Flash and others
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 7:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Lots of folks can take one CH med or another and have the shroom treatment work. And lots of folks can’t. Quite a few can use verap and shrooms successfully. Fewer get away with Imitrex, but there are a few.  I don’t recall offhand seeing anyone use prednisne and shrooms successfully. Lithium doesn’t seem to block the treatment, but is advised against because it has a reputation for enhancing the psychedelic effects of indole ring hallucinogens. Don’t know offhand about Xanax, doubt if much is known about Pentoxifylline.

The ClusterBusters recommend going as med free as possible to give thee treatment the best chance of working (all cautions about withdrawal of meds apply). But if you can use a combination successfuly, go for it. If you can’t  get clear of a med without problems, and you want to give the indoles a shot, go for it.  The exception here might be SSRI’s, might be some some danger here in combo with indoles...precautionary prinicple applies. Other than that, worst case is you end up back where you started.  

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
rextangle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 11:38am »

Well said, Tommy...

Lee, I hope that you get a long PF time from your last dose.
I've been med free for a year now. No abortives, no preventives. I use 02 and dosed on Wednesday.
I'm going through the aftermath hits right now (no fun) but hopefully things will get better. It is more difficult for me, being chronic makes it harder to evict the beast for good.
Good luck to you,
Rex
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 12:06pm »

on Oct 15th, 2005, 6:27pm, forgetfulnot wrote:
I am back to normal.

Lee

So, you're saying that's a good thing Lee?  Grin

Tommy explained it well as always.

You said "daily" list and that included imitrex. Are you, and have you been, using it daily?

Everyone is different but...It appears that the more of it people use, and the longer they've been constantly using large amounts, the more difficult it is to break a cycle.  

I doubt the Pentoxifylline would have any negative effects. After looking at it, I may have to do more research on it. How's it working for you for its intended purpose? I may want to give it a try myself.

Glad things are getting back to normal Lee.  
Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 7:19pm »

on Oct 16th, 2005, 12:06pm, Pinkfloyd wrote:

So, you're saying that's a good thing Lee?  Grin

You said "daily" list and that included imitrex. Are you, and have you been, using it daily?

Everyone is different but...It appears that the more of it people use, and the longer they've been constantly using large amounts, the more difficult it is to break a cycle.  

I doubt the Pentoxifylline would have any negative effects. After looking at it, I may have to do more research on it. How's it working for you for its intended purpose? I may want to give it a try myself.

Glad things are getting back to normal Lee.  
Bobw

Hi Bob, re-read the line on Imitrex (As needed)

This blood flow drug is a long term deal and I forget to take the the stuf right, the Doc say give it more time, 6 months is not long enough.

Hope your doing well.

Lee
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 8:59pm »

on Oct 16th, 2005, 7:19pm, forgetfulnot wrote:
This blood flow drug is a long term deal and I forget to take the the stuf right, the Doc say give it more time, 6 months is not long enough.

Wowsers. 6 months, and you're barely out of the starting gate. Modern pharmacology still blows me away every day.
Brand Name:  TRENTAL     TRENTAL Patient Info
(or PENTOXIFYLLINE)  CheckRx!
Generic Name: PENTOXIFYLLINE
Drug Class: VASODILATING AGENTS

Looked that goop up on RxList. I don't know what to say. Long term VASODILATING, short term VASOCONSTRICTING (see: Trex). They're kinda opposites, eh?

Your's is definitely an interesting case.
RJ
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2005, 9:00pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 9:44pm »

I agree with tommyd and BobW, and have some additional information you may want to consider...

My opinions regarding your meds and their interactions with hallucinogens:

Lithium 900mg - I've never used Lithium but have read from several reliable sources that it greatly increases the psychedelic effects of hallucinogens. It is strongly advised to stop using Lithium for weeks before using hallucinogens.  

Verapamil 720mg - Large doses of verapamil may inhibit the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens and lower doses probably will not. In my case 480mg verapamil did not interfere.

Xanax 2mg for stomach problems - I haven't used Xanax but it acts on the GABA receptor GABAa, the activation of which dampens higher neuronal activity. If you're using it for stomach problems I doubt that will affect the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens. It is usually prescribed for anxiety disorders and OCD. If you have anxiety disorders or related psychiatric problems you should definately avoid hallucinogens.  

Pentoxifylline 1200mg for improved blood flow - I don't believe that this will have any effect on the therapeutic or psychedelic effects of hallucinogens.  

Imitrex as needed - Triptans block the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens and should be avoided for 5-7 days before and after dosing.

Regarding your use of Pentoxifylline:

Pentoxifylline (Trental) is used to improve blood flow in patients with circulation problems to reduce aching, cramping, and tiredness in the hands and feet. Is this why you are using it? You wrote "This blood flow drug is a long term deal and I forget to take the the stuf right, the Doc say give it more time, 6 months is not long enough." If that is why you are using it, you may want to ask your cardiologist about changing meds. I asked a cardiologist about this. He said that a combination of cilostazol (Pletal) and clopidogrel (Plavix) is usually more effective in treating that condition than pentoxifylline (Trental). Pletal and Plavix won't interfere with hallucinogens either.

PF wishes,
BB
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 9:46pm by BikerBob » IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 10:17pm »

on Oct 17th, 2005, 9:44pm, BikerBob wrote:
I agree with tommyd and BobW, and have some additional information you may want to consider...

My opinions regarding your meds and their interactions with hallucinogens:

Lithium 900mg - I've never used Lithium but have read from several reliable sources that it greatly increases the psychedelic effects of hallucinogens. It is strongly advised to stop using Lithium for weeks before using hallucinogens.  

Verapamil 720mg - Large doses of verapamil may inhibit the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens and lower doses probably will not. In my case 480mg verapamil did not interfere.

Xanax 2mg for stomach problems - I haven't used Xanax but it acts on the GABA receptor GABAa, the activation of which dampens higher neuronal activity. If you're using it for stomach problems I doubt that will affect the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens. It is usually prescribed for anxiety disorders and OCD. If you have anxiety disorders or related psychiatric problems you should definately avoid hallucinogens.  

Pentoxifylline 1200mg for improved blood flow - I don't believe that this will have any effect on the therapeutic or psychedelic effects of hallucinogens.  

Imitrex as needed - Triptans block the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens and should be avoided for 5-7 days before and after dosing.

Regarding your use of Pentoxifylline:

Pentoxifylline (Trental) is used to improve blood flow in patients with circulation problems to reduce aching, cramping, and tiredness in the hands and feet. Is this why you are using it? You wrote "This blood flow drug is a long term deal and I forget to take the the stuf right, the Doc say give it more time, 6 months is not long enough." If that is why you are using it, you may want to ask your cardiologist about changing meds. I asked a cardiologist about this. He said that a combination of cilostazol (Pletal) and clopidogrel (Plavix) is usually more effective in treating that condition than pentoxifylline (Trental). Pletal and Plavix won't interfere with hallucinogens either.

PF wishes,
BB

Things you have said that  are incorrect in my case.

1)  
greatly increases the psychedelic effects of hallucinogens. It is strongly advised to stop using Lithium for weeks before using hallucinogens.  

Bullshit

2)b]Xanax 2mg for stomach problems[/b] - I haven't used Xanax but it acts on the GABA receptor GABAa, the activation of which dampens higher neuronal activity. If you're using it for stomach problems I doubt that will affect the therapeutic effects of hallucinogens. It is usually prescribed for anxiety disorders and OCD. If you have anxiety disorders or related psychiatric problems you should definately avoid hallucinogens.  

Bullshit

3)Pentoxifylline 1200mg for improved blood flow - I don't believe that this will have any effect on the therapeutic or psychedelic effects of hallucinogens.  

It Doesn't

4)Eating a large dill pickle just before injesting shrooms will probably send you to the throne for a while. What effects you may not effect others in the same way, except the pickle, that"s a pretty sure deal.  

Thanks for the info BB  Grin

Lee

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 11:13pm by forgetful » IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 7:03pm »

Take what you need, leave the rest.

PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss