Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 3 attacks a day anyone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   3 attacks a day anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 3 attacks a day anyone?  (Read 430 times)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

3 attacks a day anyone?
« on: Oct 18th, 2005, 3:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Got this from OUCH UK so with grateful thanks to MikeP for posting it there...

This could be helpful for anybody having three attacks a day.  

Rapid Efficacy for Treatment of Cluster Headache: Presented at IHS  

By Claire Sowerbutt  

KYOTO, JAPAN -- October 17, 2005 -- New data on the intranasal administration of zolmitriptan demonstrate significant efficacy in the treatment of cluster headache, with a rapid onset of action.  

Peter J. Goadsby, MD, PhD, Professor of Clinical Neurology, Institute of Neurology, University College of London, London, United Kingdom, presented the findings here in an oral presentation at the 12th Congress of the International Headache Society (IHS).  

Cluster headache is among the most painful type of headache known, and occurs very rapidly. Therefore, all treatments must have a rapid onset of action. The current mainstay therapies are subcutaneous sumatriptan, and oxygen.  

The primary endpoint of the zolmitriptan study was combined rate of response at 30 minutes over three migraine attacks. The multicentre, placebo-controlled, double blind, two-way cross-over study randomised 92 patients to intranasal zolmitriptan 5 mg and 10 mg, or to intranasal placebo. Secondary endpoints included pain-free status at 30 minutes and effects on cranial autonomic symptoms.  

Specifically, 42% of patients on zolmitriptan 5 mg reported headache relief within 30 minutes of administration (P < .003 vs. placebo), as did 63% of patients in the 10 mg arm (P < .002 vs. placebo). With respect to pain-free status at 30 minutes post-treatment, 28% (P < .003 vs. placebo) and 50% (P < .002 vs. placebo) responded to both the 5 mg and 10 mg dose, respectively.  

"It's perfectly clear cut in this placebo-controlled trial that zolmitriptan is effective in acute cluster headache," Dr. Goadsby said during his presentation on October 12th.  

He noted that no serious adverse events were reported in either the placebo or active treatment arms.  

"An advantage of the 5 mg dose in this setting is that there is good safety data for taking 15 mg/day of zolmitriptan. If you are not a person who suffers from cluster headache this might not seem important, but if you are a cluster headache patient it means you can take three courses of treatment a day -- if you have three attacks a day, that's a big difference to your life," Dr. Goadsby said.  

"Evidence is the core to take our field forward, and I offer this evidence for clinical practice in future," he concluded.  

[Presentation title: Zolmitriptan Nasal Spray is Effective in the Acute Treatment of Cluster Headache: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Cross-over Study. Poster C024]
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: 3 attacks a day anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 4:19pm »

Thanks for posting this.  I'm fortunate that I'm not in the three-a-day category, but if I were, this would be great news. Smiley
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 6:50pm »

on Oct 18th, 2005, 3:22pm, LeLimey wrote:
"An advantage of the 5 mg dose in this setting is that there is good safety data for taking 15 mg/day of zolmitriptan. If you are not a person who suffers from cluster headache this might not seem important, but if you are a cluster headache patient it means you can take three courses of treatment a day -- if you have three attacks a day, that's a big difference to your life," Dr. Goadsby said.  

Well said Doc.
Thanks LeLimey
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 8:38pm »

And he's an Aussie. Grin
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 9:10pm »

Wherever "Old Goad" may be from, where are we going to find another doc that'll prescribe 90 Zomig snorts per month, let alone an insurance plan that'll cover this??!!

Don't get me wrong. I applaud the Goad for speaking out with this research, and I'm a BIG fan of Zomig. This kind of sheds new light on the relative danger of triptans. Well, one of them, anyway.

90 snorts/month. Wowsers.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19th, 2005, 2:39am »

Oh I appreciate what you're saying Hap, I really do.. but at least having the big chief saying it and having it in black and white means we have a bit more hope than we had yesterday eh?
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 11:43pm »

Glad you posted this as it reminded me the IHS conference is going on!  Would have been lovely to go, but a bit too expensive!!!  Can't wait to read all that comes out of it. Smiley
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 3:02am »

on Oct 19th, 2005, 2:39am, LeLimey wrote:
having the big chief saying it and having it in black and white means .........

Well...I'm not really sure what it means.

I'm sure I'll be viewed as less than objective but, I really do try.

There is a better (IMHO) press release on this than the one here, in that it at least removes the migraine confusion. (or am I the only one confused that they were talking about clusters but this reported 30 minute responses for migraine? Must be the less than objective side of me) It just always worries me when the reporter has no idea WHAT they are reporting on, and just taking notes, getting some of them wrong, and not knowing enough about the subject to catch it in editing.

Anyway....check this one for more details..
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=153939

It also has some interesting info on kids.

I just hope Prof. Goadsby keeps these rates of effectiveness vs. placebo in mind when he reads the data that will one day come out of McLean regarding psychedelics. If he forgets (it may be a while) I'll remind him that he thought:
"Headache relief at 30 minutes was significantly higher for ZNS10 and ZNS5 in ECH compared to placebo: 80% and 47% vs. 24% (p<0.001), as well as in CCH compared to placebo: 38% and 27% vs. 17% (p<0.001)"
was an advancement in treatment and "..I offer this evidence for clinical practice in future."  

BTW, yes I do think its good to know this can be used three times as often. It IS important for cluster sufferers. Just wish the data didn't come from the company making the stuff, saying we can buy three times as much.  

Bobw
(sometimes I think I'm getting too old to spend my time being objective. Wink
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Jester
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 8:03am »

Zomig rocks!
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #9 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 9:47am »

You could have just asked me, been taking 5 mg zomig last three cycles.   If you have more than 3 a day, switching to zomig may lessen the number as well.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 11:42am »

One thing about the press releases......  You guys know I was at the AHS conference in June...  I read the press releases coming out during the conference and those put out after.  They were horrible!!!

They'd used quotes from presenters in contorted ways to  make them fit what they wanted to say in the article.  The facts in the article weren't always the facts being presented...

Just read with caution!  There was one press release in particular that took the cake when I went to AHS regarding migraine and PFOs.  It was the most awful thing I'd ever read in my life!

Take Care,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22nd, 2005, 2:37pm »

Yep Thats me.  3-4 days a week.  Sometimes I go days with attacks everyday.  To be honest its prtentially good news but if I had a dime for everytime I was told Here is a silver bullet MAN. Its sad that what works for some of us doesnt work for others.  I'll talk to the Doc about it and keep my figers crossed.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss