Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prednisone and eating disorders »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prednisone and eating disorders
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prednisone and eating disorders  (Read 720 times)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Prednisone and eating disorders
« on: Oct 24th, 2005, 7:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One week into a three week Pred. taper and there will soon will be nothing left in this house to eat.  I'm even eating stale cereal the kids have cast aside for some ungodly length of time and I don't even like cereal.  The dog and cats are gonna be skippin some meals if the wife doesn't get back from the store soon.  Yikes.

I was wondering, has anyone ever try this crap for treating eating disorders?  A few weeks of this will bulk em' up fast.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

Re: Prednisone and eating disorders
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 8:46pm »

LOL You will be baking cookies at 3:00am. laugh The pred has been around for centuries and has been used for too many things.
Careful with the waistline.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:00am »

LOL If the point of treating an eating disorderr were just to add wait on.....

Besides, pred is a pretty dangerous med and people who have anorexia are often already having electrolyte imbalances, osteoporosis,  etc....so pred really isn't a good idea.  It really has to be used with caution for most things as corticosteroids are the only meds which have an effect on every system of the body.

Anyways, I know you didn't post that to get a lecture.  LOL  Do you like carrot or celery sticks?  Fruit?  hehehe

Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 10:06am »

Lecture away.  My humblest apologies!  I wasn't thinking how insensitive this sounded and meant no disrespect.  

I normally maintain good eating habits, but on this stuff self control doesn't seem to be an option.  This is my second round with Pred. and honestly I didn't know that I could eat this much.  

BTW: Being my second round with Pred.,  I stocked up on fruit.

Preliminary results......  Ehhh - if things don't improve there surely won't be a third round.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 1:01pm »

Aha... so I must eat food?! Huh

I wondered why lock-yaw(Open and Wide) set in when ever one of my children (- their question:"Mommy why are your mouth so big?"Wink walk past.

I look like an anorexic blow-up doll with Tourett's syndrome in a midlife crisis!  Wink

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Lastdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

My II's are always open !!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 11:43am »

laugh Hey Tom, Besides eating more  than King Kong, (I mean the urge to eat everything in sight is un believable) The biggest problem I have with the Pred system is Water Retention!! So on top of every thing else I have to take 80mgs of Lasix a day which keeps me basicly locked in the house for at least 5-6 hours from when I take that pill, cause I can't be away from a toilet for more than 8-10 minutes at a time. As a 53 year old man I feel like a 35 year old Pregnant woman !!! Water Retention , just something else to deal with. But seriously, really try to watch what you eat cause I myself put on 26 Lbs during one Prednisone treatment and that was for my Faild Back Surgery problem Not even the CH !!! Now I try to stay as far away form the Pred as possible.
  Best of luck to you,
     Nico
BTW, feed the dogs and cats  !!
IP Logged

Lastdaddy/Nico/Daddy
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 12:00pm »

Nico in the other thread you mention your meds.

Pred have alot of side effects but it does seem to help get a peak period under control.

Just been on it myself... water retention, you got that right!

Ask your doc with the other stuff you're taking.  Narcotics suck in my opinion and its mostly vassodialators(spelling Huh), we need vassoconstrictors!  That is why coffee and Red Bull sometimes does the trick.

My twocents
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 12:38pm »

Not experiencing problems with water retention.  Being in the woods nearly every day during this Taper has been advantageous.  It's been unusually warm (high 50's and even 60's, so sweating has helped.  The only problem has been monitoring/maintaing sodium levels to avoid Lithium Intoxication.    

Have kept eating/weight gain under control this time  through extensive exercise, eating fruit, fruit and more fruit, and only being able to eat/drink what I can carry.
But I guess this isn't a solution that everyone can deploy.    

Actually believe symptoms have improved somewhat but I guess time will reveal all.

BTW: The dog and cats are eating well but they may run into a little trouble if rain forces me to stay home for several days.

Tom
IP Logged

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 8:15pm »

Be careful, dear .... on Prednisone, even the bark of the trees starts to look appealing!  Being in the woods won't save you in that event.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:00am »

Tom may I come and work with you?

CV:
I'm a hard worker, I don't need pay (So I won't be an illegal alien - don't wanna upset jonny Wink), I'll feed your dogs and cats (I won't eat their food) and I like woods.

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 4:54am »

on Nov 1st, 2005, 8:15pm, Kris_in_SJ wrote:
Be careful, dear .... on Prednisone, even the bark of the trees starts to look appealing!  Being in the woods won't save you in that event.

Kris

It's little critters that need to be careful.  Found myself drooling over some chippy's that got too close.  Easier prey like the large wood ticks hiding under the bark of wild cherry & hickory trees have nearly met there demise as well.....

but so far I've managed to maintain some self control.

Tom    
IP Logged

burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:34am »

on Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:00am, Jasmyn wrote:
Tom may I come and work with you?

CV:
I'm a hard worker, I don't need pay (So I won't be an illegal alien - don't wanna upset jonny Wink), I'll feed your dogs and cats (I won't eat their food) and I like woods.

Always looking for good help, unfortunately like everywhere these woods are rapidly giving way to development.  In 10 years they will most likely be reduced to a few small wood lots.  

Everyone wants to move to the country but when they get here they think "Hey the country would be far more interesting if there were more people."  

Environmentally unsound municipal projects follow and soon every mile is carved into little 1/4 acre lots with neat lawns maintained by chemical warfare against weeds and that pesky wildlife.    

The folks who cared for the land and loved the solitude find they can no longer afford to pay escalating taxes and municipal service fees.  They get squeezed out followed shortly by any of that remaining pesky wildlife.

We're riding a freight train to ecological disaster

And soon everyone is moving to the country again because it's getting too crowded.

Most really don't get it, I hope someday they do.  

Tom  

IP Logged

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 7:27am »

Tom I hate it when people want to "domesticate" the country.  It is sad that the over developement of rural areas can lately just be seen in terms of money.

Country living should be:

Woods/trees
Natural ponds/farm dams/rivers and lakes
Wild flowers/grasslands/herbs/veg (no manicured lawns, no pesticides)/organic farming
Let the wildlife roam (don't kill them unless you eat them)
No fancy modern houses (should be esthetically suited to blend in with the surrounding nature)
No Yuppies should be able to buy in the country.  If you don't work the land you can't buy the land.

My opinion but then again I'm a born and bred farm girl.
City life is not for me. Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 8:31am »

on Nov 2nd, 2005, 5:34am, burnt-toast wrote:

Always looking for good help, unfortunately like everywhere these woods are rapidly giving way to development.  In 10 years they will most likely be reduced to a few small wood lots.  

Everyone wants to move to the country but when they get here they think "Hey the country would be far more interesting if there were more people."  

Environmentally unsound municipal projects follow and soon every mile is carved into little 1/4 acre lots with neat lawns maintained by chemical warfare against weeds and that pesky wildlife.    

The folks who cared for the land and loved the solitude find they can no longer afford to pay escalating taxes and municipal service fees.  They get squeezed out followed shortly by any of that remaining pesky wildlife.

We're riding a freight train to ecological disaster

And soon everyone is moving to the country again because it's getting too crowded.

Most really don't get it, I hope someday they do.  

Tom  

Boy, do you have that right!  It's unbelievable how fast my nice, quiet, heavily wooded area has disappeared!  I used to be able to sit on my back deck and watch the deer walk through the woods behind me.  All gone now.  Now, I get to sit on my back deck and look at my new backyard neighbors damn boat sitting on it's trailer.   Angry

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
hoosierdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

Are we having fun yet?

« Reply #14 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:28am »

Tom,
   I can relate. I am practicly PF when on Prednizone but man can I eat.  

Have you ever seen the movie Duece Bigalow? My wife and I went to a buffet, and after I made a complete pig out of myself and was eating my second dessert, she acted out the "Cakes and Pies" scene from that movie.

Now she refers to prednizone as playing cakes and pies.

If you havn't watched that movie I would recomend it. The Numbing shot scene at the hair transplant place reminds me of getting nerve blocks also.

C-Ya
Greg
IP Logged

..."it feels as if my head is giving birth to my brain and can't decide whether to use my right eye or right nostril as the birth canal."

Hoosier-Daddy?
;^)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #15 on: Nov 2nd, 2005, 1:58pm »

Tom,

My former flatmate suffers from anorexia and buliamia. She reads the labels carefully. If some med includes weight gain in its list of side effects she doesn't start that treatment in the first place.

Personally, I didn't gain weight when I was on pred, but I lost weight once that treatment ended.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:08am »

My step dad had a kidney transplant and is on prednisone and has been ever since of course.....geeze he is on about 2,000 bucks worth of meds a month !! But good grief can that man eat......holy shit !!! The first few years he got real big and puffy looking but now he seems to be looking alot more normal or at least not as bloated looking. He still eats alot tho !!! Mom told me he had 8 pieces of pizza today at dinner.....plus salad and some pasta and desert !!!!! My vet had one of my exotic cats on it also cuz of severe allergy reactions and infections that took over and almost killed him. Luckily (knock on wood) he only needed the one injection to desensitize him cuz I was worried after 30 days what would happen......didn't want to have to do it montly unless I had to cuz of the long term problems. Yet my dad is the healthiest person I know after bein on it so many years.......doesn't get colds of flu or anything. I hated the stuff myself.......doc put me on it years ago for allergy's and it made me bloat and feel strange. My dad has road rage BIG TIME and am thinking that shit may cause that too ?? Pred puffer Pam  

IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Lastdaddy
New Board Newbie
USA 

My II's are always open !!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:43pm »

Smiley Hey, The Pred is a wonder drug as far as I'm concerened.One of my sons is allergic to poison Ivy and he was on it , myother son was on it for chronic ear infections another one took it for a very bad sinus condition. In fact I have 7 sons and they have all been on it at one time or another. They've all eaten like there's no tomorrow, But the stuff works!! I  Just can't take it any more cause of the water problem, I have conjestive heart failure and one side of my heart pumps too much water instead of blood.Another reason I'm on the Narcotics instead of the newer CH meds. Jan , in response to yout question, Pednisone is a med that you can take with just about any other  med on the market!! But like I said ya just gotta try to watch what you eat. I know, easier dais than done!!
    Happy PF Days & Nites,
      Nico
IP Logged

Lastdaddy/Nico/Daddy
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss