Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Medrol »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Medrol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Medrol  (Read 338 times)
jon019

Email

Medrol
« on: Oct 24th, 2005, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello All,

Started bad here. Didn't introduce myself properly. Regrets, but first impressions are just that and cannot be taken back. I apologize. For whatever it's worth, my recent experience.

Episodic clusters turned to close to chronic. Could not handle it anymore. After many years of being "strong"
and riding it out finally admitted I needed help and went to a neuro (recommmended by an OUCH member by the way).

What a knothead, asking for help is NOT a weakness, my God, as I have learned, it is a necessity.

Anyway, i found a gem. After 20+ years of visiting 10+ Drs I found one who really empathized. She listened while I described the 2-3 daily hits, nodded and I thought, ok here goes another. Then i described the terror involved with laying down and going to sleep and the hourly hits destroying any sembalnce of sleep. She actually winced. I am going to repeat that, she winced!

Right then I knew, maybe I had a chance. Her next statement convinced me.  "Hmmm, well, I treat this condition VERY aggressively". Handsprings, joyous shouts, dances, whatever you can think i was thinking them. Didn't do them, but it was close...

First thing she did was an IV of Solu- Medrol with a taper of a 6 day medrol pack. Folks, after months of daily hits (2-3 per day and 4-7 per night) it stopped that very same day, Sept 14, I will never forget it. Added scripts for verapamil and  topamax which I am still taking. Probably just as important, don't know.

It is now Oct 24 and I have been PF since. God is good, we will see how long it lasts. Not recommending, just describing my experience.  

My research shows this is a very powerful corticosteroid which should not be used more than once every 6 months. i count every day day hoping it will last that long.  

Do your research, consider the options, appreciate the PF days, and know that whatever happens, the folks here at ch.com provide the support, comfort, knowledge and laughs unavailable anywhere else.

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Medrol
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 10:54pm »

Solu Medrol has been very good to me to. I've taken it often.  

Glad to hear you found a good neuro and some pain free time.

PF Wishes
UNsolved
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 11:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 24th, 2005, 10:31pm, jon019 wrote:
Added scripts for verapamil and  topamax which I am still taking. Probably just as important, don't know.

They're just as important, if not more so, than the steroids and the break they're giving you. The whole point of the `roids taper is to give prevents time to kick in.  
Getting Verap AND Topo on the first go-around is pretty aggressive. You may have a Keeper Doc.
Only problem with Topo is you need to increase doses slowly, which is kind of tuff if you're a 2-3 week episodic (which ain't you.)

Luck.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
jon019

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 10:24pm »

Thanks Mr. Happy,

I plead brain cramp. Of course the follow ups are as important as the steroid buster. Tolerating the verap fairly well. Have reduced the Topomax to 15 mg/day and still getting the "fogs" (spelling harder than usual, conversation affected). Still longing for Gator's fish tank to stare at when it gets slow at work.  

Haven't worked up the guts to go "no Topo" yet since the dance always looms. Thanks to you and Ben I have in my possesion a shiney new clustermask which I have yet to use and "almost" wish I could try. Damn, I could have used it for so many years that it holds a certain allure.

Ah well, soon enough.....

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss