Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Readers Digest Article »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Readers Digest Article
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Readers Digest Article  (Read 554 times)
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Readers Digest Article
« on: Oct 25th, 2005, 2:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Doc Tepper from NECH as well as a few other notables in the headache business have been busy.  The Nov. 05 issue of Readers Digest has a fairly well written article on headaches.  It mostly discusses migraines, but it has a few mentions of clusters, and one of them is a direct quote from Doc Tepper, and their info is pretty accurate, if not extensive.  

It discusses the various medications used to treat headaches (all headaches) in categories of abortive, preventive, off-label, and experimental.

In the experimental category is BIBN 4096 BS which is the CGRP peptide that is believed to affect the trigeminal nerve, and is being researched to use as an abortive and for people who can't take triptans because of cardiac issues.  
Quote:
"In one study, BIBN 4096 BS was as effective as triptans.  It may be safe for those with heart problems (triptans aren't)."

The other experimental medication is Trexima.  This drug combines an NSAID (non steroidal anti imflammatory drug) with a triptan to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
Quote:
"Trexima has been shown to offer faster and longer-lasting relief than triptans."

Further info in the article:
Quote:
BIBN 4096 BS, available only as an intravenous formulation, is several years away from the makert; Trexima could be available sometime next year.

I'm assuming that the Trexima reference to offering faster relief is in comparison to pill forms of triptans.

Something we should all be watching for, and perhaps have OUCH contact NECH regarding possible trials with the Trexima for cluster headache sufferers.

Cat

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005, 2:07pm by catlind » IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
zanychef
New Board Newbie
England 

i'm busting with a masx cant really go wrong can i

Re: Readers Digest Article
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 2:15pm »

i'm up for that even if i am over here Grin
IP Logged

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too badSmiley
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:31pm »

Luckily I dont have cardiac issues now, though i am sure that after dealing with a few more cycles, i will have cardiac issues.
Its nice to see such a wide publication print an in-depth article about some of these meds, and even a little about clusters.  Hopefully there will soon be large amounts of research and funding once the public learns about these life altering ailements.
PF wishes
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 10:46pm »

Hey, Cat......scan the article, and send it thru the CH underground. Neato.  

Just tried finding the article to no avail, then realized it was a TV Guide in the mitts.

What's in a name?
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 4:21am »

My mum is a Reader's Digest subscriber. I hope that article ends up into the Finnish version as well. Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 8:18am »

thank you cat for info I told my wifey about the story in RD now have to go get it for her she loves to read Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss