Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 11:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CABAMAZEPINE Has anbody used this? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   CABAMAZEPINE Has anbody used this?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CABAMAZEPINE Has anbody used this?  (Read 1213 times)
gfdfirefighter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

CABAMAZEPINE Has anbody used this?
« on: Oct 27th, 2005, 11:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All  

My GP put me on this about 6 weeks ago have gone through one bottle now on my refill it has decreased the number of headaches but i still get 3 a night but they are not as bad as before I started using it.
I need advice should i keep using it or request another treatment.

Smiley
IP Logged

Les we never forget 9/11/01 we lost 343 american Hero's(God Has Got One Heck Of A Fire Dept)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: CABAMAZEPINE Has anbody used this?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 11:44am »

It's also known as tegretol.
I've had client's with siezure disorder who use it.
Heavy duty stuff.
I have not heard of CHers using it but, many of us (including myself) have been on other types of anti-siezure meds such as depakote, neurontin and topamax.

If it is working for ya go for it.
If not might try one of the meds I gave you a link to in your other post.

We are all different and unfortunately do not all respond the same way thus being such a difficult disorder to treat.

Best,

Ex2
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Annette_Emond
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Family Member

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2005, 7:13pm »

When Dave was on tegretol, it gave him seizures!!!!
So did Topomax.    
Never again with the anti-seizure stuff!

Annette
IP Logged

Happiness runs in a circular motion..
you can sometimes come back around to what you thought was done.
gfdfirefighter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 11:32am »

Hi Annette

I have been on this stuff for about 6 weeks working on my refill it has brought my attachs from 6 a night down to 2-3 the pain has gone from a 9 to about a 6 if i don't get to the O2 in time. But your making me nervous with the siezure stuff. Has your huband had a history of siezures or was it deffinently the meds?

Smiley
IP Logged

Les we never forget 9/11/01 we lost 343 american Hero's(God Has Got One Heck Of A Fire Dept)
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 11:56am »

I haven't taken Tegretol, but I've known people who have.  In the headache world, it's more common for migraine than CH, but still not used too often.  I have wondered in the past if it's worth giving a shot!

I'm currently on 2 antiseizure meds....Lamictal and Lyrica.  They're the tamest antiseizures I've ever taken.

Depakote ripped my esophagus to pieces and topamax made me permanently drain bamaged.  Neurontin just made me feel like total crap.  Zonegran made me puke my brains out.

It's amazing I keep saying yes to trying meds in this class.  LOL  Guess I can't lose hope!

Carrie  Smiley
IP Logged

gfdfirefighter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 4:34pm »

Hi Carrie  

I know what you mean I felt like the walk dead on lithiam. Undecided

Smiley
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30th, 2005, 12:37am »

Carbamazepine/Tegretol is supposedly very effective in treating Trigeminal Neuralgia.  My doc prescribed it for me back in January of this year.  Didn't do anything for my clusters.  It did give me a serious ringing in my ears that I have not gotten rid of to this day.  Razzle frazzle, frickin frackin, @#$% @#$%%^

IP Logged
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 7:06am »

I must say it's not good from my experience.

Was creatively diagnosed with Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia and carbazemine is the drug of choice.  It didn't really shift the headaches for me - and the side affects aren't too great (it made me feel even more stupid than normal/ lack of energy...) .

However that was over halfway through the last cycle and  so inneffective - it led to me to the clusterhead diagnosis off the web (I'm textbook) and the rest is almost history (finger's crossed so very firmly).  

I'm having my best managed ever cycle right now - just started using O2 (works for me) as well as clusterbusters (a breakthrough for me in coping with CH) . No polypharmacy, no side effects and only 20 minutes out of bed in the night - RESULT.

For the actual headaches immigram injections are still the best way to stop attacks - plus there's a (Fuvo?)triptan I was recommended which has a 26 hour lifetime - meaning you shouldn't be woken up with the beast  - shall add the proper name when I can grab my notes.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005, 9:46am by Beastfodder » IP Logged

Ueli

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 9:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Carbamazepine / Tegretol is the stuff used to make Zombies.  Undecided
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 10:21am »

Years ago, while hospitalized for clusters at Hahn AB, Germany, they tried Tegretol.  Made me so dizzy I fell out of bed.  Didn't do a thing for the headaches.
But you never know-what works for some doesn't for others and ...Ain't it grand!  
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 2:53pm »

Hello...

Kathy is right - what works for some people dont work for others.  

I would say that if you arent having any bad side effects from it, than keep trying it because sometimes it takes awhile for a medication to really kick in and start working and sometimes the dose needs to be altered.

From personal experience, I had a doctor put me on Tegretol and I was on it for about two months before we moved and my new neurologist decided to change my meds. He said that it wasnt good for CH but I dont agree - it worked for me and was the only medication to do anything aside from pain killers. The hits were reduced, mainly during the day, and the intensity was decreased.  

One note though - I was in the hospital for a month when they first tried it and they kept pretty close tabs on me while increasing the dose. They did checks of my eyes and coordination as it can cause some sort of brain problem. I dont think that it was a big risk but they did have to do blood work to check my levels so I would ask about that.

I hope this helps - I really didnt have any bad experiences with it and it worked. If it isnt causing problems for you, than I would give it a shot as it cant hurt... But I said that already.. sorry.

Good Luck
Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
joke ten dam
New Board Junior
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

poldertocht  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 3:56pm »

if  it is also known under carbazemapine then I have tryed it several years ago with no affect what soever.
IP Logged
gfdfirefighter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 31st, 2005, 5:56pm »

Hi All  

Thanks for all the advice I went to see a neruo this morning she increased my dosage from 100 mg tabs to 200mg tabs since I have been using this my CH have deffinetly decreased I actualy have had 2 PF nights in a row  Grin so I guess this is working for me I have been on it for over 6 weeks no real side affects.(just a little twiching) Roll Eyes It's either my episode is coming to an end (I hope) or this stuff is really working for me. She also perscibed me an inhalant to stop the attach she gave me a choice of injection don't like needles. I was unable to get O2 as a script but I still have a bottle from the fire station.

So I am hopeing this is the begining of the end

Smiley
IP Logged

Annette_Emond
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Family Member

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 8:01pm »

Sorry I never got back to this thread with all the computer problems we've had.  I missed your question until today.  
Dave has had many many weird reactions to many many meds he has been given over the years.  As far as the seizures go... he was ramping up on the meds and on day 4 I found him on the floor convulsing from head to toe.  The neuro freaked and said no more of that!  He was sent for an EEG exam and they could find no evidence of any seizure disorder- and he has never had anything like that occur again except when he was on extremely high doses of Prednisone he would have heavy duty muscle spasms-  we have never been sure if it was the Pred or if it was the manifestation of whatever neurological disorder he still seems to have.  
 But- to make a long story short- if you read through all the info on the anti-seizure meds, they do tell you that it can cause seizures- rare but it can happen.  Pretty scary for us-  hope this med works for you like it has for many others.  
Annette
IP Logged

Happiness runs in a circular motion..
you can sometimes come back around to what you thought was done.
gfdfirefighter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:43pm »

Hi Annette

I went to see the nerou on monday she increased my dosage to 400mg a day and also gave me imitrex.
I have actually been PF since last saterday. But last night i had a beer and a couple shots of tequila bad idea i felt one coming on and used the imitrex which worked well it knocked my CH back in about 10 min.
I am going to keep with the current theapy and stay away from the juice Grin. I hope your husband is doing better  

Smiley
IP Logged

pubgirl
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

The next person who calls it a migraine eats teeth

« Reply #15 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:54pm »

If it is any help, Carbamazepine is used for one of the other shorter lived headache types similar to CH called SUNCT, and is used for that as SUNCT often doesn't respond well to the usual Indomethacin treatment.

At the last IHS meeting Don and some of the other OUCH officials attended in Rome one of the speakers recommended it for CH treatment, but this doesn't seem to be born out by the CH sufferers on here and OUCH Uk who have tried it. Other prevents such as Verapamil have a much better track record.

Wendy

Beastfodder:  Frova, Migard or Frovatriptan is the name you are looking for but it is better to read the thread on this than start posting it here. It isn't really a prevent and I have never heard of anyone getting more than a 12 hour block from it.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:02pm by pubgirl » IP Logged

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #16 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 9:45am »

Sounds like it's under control which is fantastic - you haven't said whether O2 is an option you've tried - worth looking into with a good mask.

Result
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss