Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Possible to modify the Stat Dose system?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Possible to modify the Stat Dose system??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Possible to modify the Stat Dose system??  (Read 382 times)
ClstrHeadSupport
New Board Junior
USA 

Supporter of my Cluster Head, Stephen Pope.

PopeFamily_430  
WWW Email

Possible to modify the Stat Dose system??
« on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband (the sufferer) and I have been trying to get our hands on some syringes for him to divide up the doses of his imitrex.  We've failed miserably.  We've talked to our pharmacist who's only told us we can't get them without a perscription.  And his Neuro doesn't seem interested in perscribing them.  We've even tried to locate a feed store (someone on here gave us the tip that we could go to a feed store and tell them we were watching our friends diabetic cat and they had forgotten to leave us the syringes) but we live in the city.  When I say the city I mean the Bay Area of CA.  San Francisco.  We live in Fremont but if you're not familier with that area chances are you'll get me when I say San Francisco!  The closest thing we have to a feed store in Fremont is Petco.  

So my question is has anyone on here found a way to modify their Stat Dose systems to deliver only half the dose at a time.  Maybe by cutting down the white tip that pushes out the medication??  We have multiple Stat Dose systems so I'm wondering if we can cut one of the white tips down so it only pushes out half, then use the unmodified system to deliver the next dose, the other half in the vial.  What do you think??  Has anyone ever tried this??  We can't really afford to waste the imitrex if it doesn't work you know, so I'm hopeing someone has tried it.

Also, does anyone here get perscribed the vials of imitrex instead of the Stat Dose injections??  How does that work??  It's easy to split the doses that way right??  I wonder if his Neuro would go for that...
IP Logged

Sara Pope
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: Possible to modify the Stat Dose system??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:10am »

does the "imitrex tip" link on the left of the CH.com website offer any help here?

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
ClstrHeadSupport
New Board Junior
USA 

Supporter of my Cluster Head, Stephen Pope.

PopeFamily_430  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 2:18pm »

No I don't think so.  Not unless they've added something recently.  It only tells you how to split your doses with syringes.  I want to know if it can be done with the Stat Dose injector system.
IP Logged

Sara Pope
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 2:36pm »

actually it is specifically addressing auto-injectors. it ain't a pretty process but it looks like it'll do the job.

scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 3:04pm »

It's a lot easier to take the syringe out of the stat dose cartridge and to inject it the way it is suggested in the tip.

You can however modify the pen(auto injector) if you really want to fuss around with it.

You do not need to buy syringes to split the dose of the statdose.

I have vials and syringes but I also have statdoses.

I have only used the auto injector 1x and that was the very first time I used trex.

Despite having vials, I still prefer to use the ones in the cartridge if for no other reason they are small and convenient.

Good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
joke ten dam
New Board Junior
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

poldertocht  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:48pm »

Huh you cant modify the auto injector I tried it it still delevers the total dose. Your best bet is the imitrex tip. Embarassed
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:21pm »

You can modify them.

There was a guy some years ago who gave the amount to cut off the plunger so it would only deliver 1/2 dose.  You then have to take the syringe out and put it in a regular stat dose pen to deliver the remaining 1/2.

Dan "Magman" had a post where he built stoppers in the side of the pen so it would only deliver partial doses.  That post was only a few months ago and should be easy to find.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Squanto
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:00pm »

Here's a suggestion:  
The sumatriptan (Imitrex) for subcataneous injection is available in 6.0 mg vials (in 0.5 ml of solution.)  It comes in cartons of 5 vials.  
Give your Doctor and/or your pharmacist this number:
NDC 0173-0449-02 (that the identification number of the cartons of 5 vials)

You should be able to obtain insulin syringes without a lot of hassle. The insulin syringe is calibrated in tenths of a millimeter (ml)  

I draw up 2 vials, giving me 1.0 ml of Imtrex (12 mg) in one syringe. Then when I need a shot, I give myself 0.2 ml of the solution (that's 2.4 mg of Imitrex.)  That amount works well for me and doesn't spike my blood pressure.  I've tried a larger injection, but didn't notice ANY benefit from a bigger doseage. Your mileage may vary. I get 5 injections out of 2 Imtrex vials instead of 2 injections if the same amount that's  in 2 of the Stat Dose thing.  Plus the cost is less - even though my insurance covers the vast majority of the cost.

Being half way careful about keeping my hands and the injection site clean and not touching the needle, reusing the syringe and needle has NOT been a problem for me.  

The insulin needles are very small and "almost" painless and were easy to get used to. I usually inject my "love handles" or the top of  my thighes, moving from area to area with each sucessive injection.

Squanto
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:13pm »

One other suggestion if you have a couple of days.  Do a web search for veterinarian supply companies (primarily located in western states like Wyoming, Utah, etc.)  It's quite legal in those states to sell empty sterile vials and TB or Insulin syringes.  You might have to say you're a Veterinarian, but that's usually a formality.  They can overnight supplies to you.

You can then autoinject a syringe into a sterile vial and pull up the amount you need.  Clean needle each time and sterile technique observed.

I've been out of cycle for awhile, and the supplier I used last time has gone out of business, so I can't make a recommendation on that.  Just a thought ... and you didn't learn this from me.

Good luck!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 3:23am »

Hi CHsupport.
The Imitrex tip to the left describes exactly what you need to do to get what you are looking for.
In text, it sounds very complex and intricate, but in reality, when you have the thing in front of you, it is quite simple.  Really, very simple.
I prefer the vials and syrenges to the statdose.  Just simply ask your doc or pharmy the next time you get a refill to give you the vials with insulin syrenges.......reason being, you want to administer less than a full dose.  If you tell them you dont want to take a full dose, they really should cough up what you want.

Ya just gotta demand it.  If they dont wanna hand over the goods, just start crackin some heads together!
PF wishes to Hubby
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 3:49pm »

Hey gang.  She knows about syringes.  She wants to use the auto injector pen.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 4:11pm »

on Nov 4th, 2005, 3:49pm, Bob P wrote:
Hey gang.  She knows about syringes.  She wants to use the auto injector pen.

So are you saying that the question was answered. Because the question looks answered to me.  

And may I say to Squanto, you are one cool old dude. Between the updates on your creativity with the "alternative" therapies and this input on your syringe management, you are on my list of "cluster heros". You definitely seem to take the approach of not wanting to lay around till someone comes up with the answer, but that you're going after it. All admiration for that spirit!!!

scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss