Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Heat instead of Ice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Heat instead of Ice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heat instead of Ice  (Read 440 times)
Capt-Kilowatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Heat instead of Ice
« on: Nov 6th, 2005, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow. lots of good info here.  Still reading and taking notes.  I had an attack in the middle of the night last night and stuck my finger on my carotid artery after reading about it here.  It instantly went away and I went back to sleep.  I'm still amazed.  It may never work again but thank God it did at least once.  They "always" build until I have to get up and get a Maxalt MLT and let it do it's thing for about a half hour. I  know alot of people use ice to relieve the pain but never read of anyone using heat.  I've tried both and for me the heat is the trick.  I put a wet wash cloth in the microwave and then put it over my eye and cheek and it seems to dissolve the pain almost instantly albeit for only 20 seconds or so at a shot.  I then re-heat it and apply it again and same thing.  The pain in between is horrendous but the relief in between is heaven and is actually breaking it down allowing the Maxalt to get a better hold (I "think"Wink.  I was just wondering if anyone else uses heat instead of ice.  I've tried ice but it seems to hurt like the dickens until it "numbs" my head but then it still hurts although it's a different type of hurt.  Not as bad I realize but nothing like the feeling the heat gives me.  Just wondering.   Thanks.
IP Logged

"I'm Your Huckleberry"
CHTom

Email

Re: Heat instead of Ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 9:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It may be that you don't feel the CH pain because you are feeling the pain of the hot washcloth-be careful or you could wind up with a nasty burn.  From reading your post, it appears that the CH pain relief is brief-how many times do you have to apply the hot cloth to your pain spot and how long does it take before the CH pain goes away?
IP Logged
Capt-Kilowatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 11:14am »

The Maxalt MLT actually gets rid of the attack.  The heat just alleviates the pain somewhat while it's doing it's job.  I've got one of those bean bag type heating pads (can't seem to find it but will buy another if I don't soon)that you put in the microwave that retain their heat so i wouldn't have to run to the microwave every few minutes.  The washcloth goes cold very quickly.  It still takes a good 20-30 minutes for the extreme pain to subside.  All I know is that when I'm having a CH, if I can get 20 seconds every now and again of relief before it builds back up, the brief absense is pure heaven.  All I do then is remove it to another spot and although it doesn't do as well I eventually return it to the sore spot and it gets some more relief albeit short lived.  Eventually the Maxalt MLT (which is what works the fastest with fewest side effects for me) kicks it out as quickly as it came leaving me with the remnants but allowing me to get on with life.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2005, 11:16am by Capt-Kilowatt » IP Logged

"I'm Your Huckleberry"
tmcewan
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 2:55pm »

I've just found ths site!  I thought it was just my imagination that a warm washcloth made me feel better.Glad to know I'm not crazy.  I run to the bathtub when I feel a headache and sometimes the warm water and washcloth can make it go away, or at least ease the pain.  Don't know how it works, but it seems to help!  What is a Maxalt?  My Dr. has never mentioned it.
IP Logged

Tiffany
Capt-Kilowatt
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 9:03pm »

on Nov 6th, 2005, 2:55pm, tmcewan wrote:
I've just found ths site!  I thought it was just my imagination that a warm washcloth made me feel better.Glad to know I'm not crazy.  I run to the bathtub when I feel a headache and sometimes the warm water and washcloth can make it go away, or at least ease the pain.  Don't know how it works, but it seems to help!  What is a Maxalt?  My Dr. has never mentioned it.

Maxalt is the same as Imitrex etc.  I use the MLT version which disolves on the tongue instantly.  It usually works within about 20 minutes.  I'm interested that most here are using either Zonig spray or Imitrex injections for relief in the 5-10 minute range.  I liked the Maxalt because it doesn't give me any side affects and has worked every time so far.  I am going to ask my doctor for samples of the other 2 though.  I tried Imitrex spray at first but it made me feel weird and my skin prickled and didn't seem to work any faster than the Maxalt MLT.  I'd like to try the Zonig first to see how it does before going to a shot.
IP Logged

"I'm Your Huckleberry"
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #5 on: Nov 6th, 2005, 9:10pm »

Hello and welcome,

Yep I use heat too.  I get a hot water bottle and put it inside my pillow slip then rock my head on it - sounds silly I know but the pain of the heat on my head/face provides a tremendous distraction to the pain going on within.

Kate
IP Logged
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #6 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 7:04am »

Heat - dunking the whole head in a really hot bath is good for me when it really gets a hold in your head.

This year tho' I noticed that heat has actually triggered attacks once or twice now. Good news being that care of O2  and a good non rebreather mask backed by the clusterbusters method all my baths in this cycle have been for hygene not pain relief.  

best wishes and pf days
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 7th, 2005, 7:50pm »

I absolutely cannot tolerate heat anywhere on my body during a hit.  It's 100% ice for me.  On my head, neck, and in my mouth!  I tried standing in a hot shower twice, and the hit ramped up so fast and so furious, I ended up crawling out of the shower on my knees and laying on the cold tile floor.

Nope - no heat for me.   Huh
\Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #8 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 7:48am »

For some it's ice, for others heat - just so long as it works for you.

I've long enjoyed substantial relief by hanging my head under the shower and switching it from hot to cold and back again every ten seconds or so.  Not being entirely aware of things at the time, of course, I once managed to scald my scalp and half my hair fell out.  Didn't even realise until morning.

Parental Guidance Reccommended, but it works for me.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 10:48pm »

I tried heat once while i was still in cycle, under the shower and getting hit with about a 4 so tried the hot water as much as I could stand, bad mistake it pushed me into an 8 in about 15 seconds flat.

When I came out of the hard hits and started shadowing I found a heat bag as hot as possible behind my head on going to bed gave me a decent nights sleep for about the first 2-3 weeks.

We are all different and that is what makes our world go round.

PFD's All
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
jon019

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 11:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi All,

Read these posts and it is obvious that you should..., then again you should..., on the other hand you should...

Aw hell, there aint anything obvious. Hot? Cold? Try 'em both, only you is gonna know if either one is any help!

Myself, a very hot shower at onset can sometimes make a difference. Ice, I cannot stand.

PF Wishes

Jon019
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss