Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question ... Maxalt-MLT 10mg ... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question ... Maxalt-MLT 10mg ...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question ... Maxalt-MLT 10mg ...  (Read 3114 times)
findjoshua
New Board Junior
USA 

findjoshua
Email

Question ... Maxalt-MLT 10mg ...
« on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 6:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  I have been using Maxalt for the last two cycles of my cluster.  I had been using Immitrex, but for some reason my doc. gave me Maxalt during one visit and I have been sticking to that. I found that it worked in the beginning pretty quickly, but now am not so sure.  I find that the pain from the cluster comes on almost immediately now, with very little warning and more intense than in past years.  I take a Maxalt as soon as I feel it, and lately I've been wimping out after about 10 minutes and take another.  I don't know if a) I'm overdoing it with the Maxalt or b)my clusters have changed so that Maxalt doesn't work.  Un-medicated, the clusters usually last 35-45 minutes, and even lately, when I take the tablets, it still lasts that long.  Anyone have any experience with Maxalt and it losing it's efficacy OR with cycles intensifying sometimes?  Thank you. This site has been  such a comfort.
Joshua
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

Re: Question ... Maxalt-MLT 10mg ...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:43am »

Triptans like Maxalt, imitrex, zomig, often lose their power and we don't know why. Overuse possibly or sometimes they just quit working for us.  

Ask your doc to try another triptan...Nasal sprays and trex stat doses work the fastest.  

Oh..when trying out  a new one....don't mix two different triptans within 24 hours of each other...it's very dangerous.

Be well and PF,
 lionsound
IP Logged
findjoshua
New Board Junior
USA 

findjoshua
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:31am »

Thanks for the advice, b/c I do actually have nasal spray at the pharmacy waiting to be picked up too.  How is it dangerous to mix?  
Glad you posted.

Cheers.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:15pm »

on Nov 23rd, 2005, 9:31am, findjoshua wrote:
Thanks for the advice, b/c I do actually have nasal spray at the pharmacy waiting to be picked up too.  How is it dangerous to mix?  
Glad you posted.

Cheers.

Potential heart attack or death
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
rextangle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Joshua, I used to use Maxalt, but not anymore.

Don't over do it! Dangerous, and the rebound CH attacks you get from them are nasty!

Docs should tell that you should not exceed one per week!
Eventually it stopped working completely for me as I abused them, and if I were to take one, the attack would intensify immediately.  

Good luck,
Rex
IP Logged
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:49pm »

Maxalts come in melts too - melt in your mouth kind of thing it's a halfway house between the injection and the pill.

If you're stuck with pills I've even been told to crush them in your mouth and have them with a carbonated drink to help get in the bloodstream quicker.

Kip 8 and wind - now there's a thought.

Caught some of mine last time round - but it's not something I'd choose to have in my life. Try O2 - but have a good look at clusterbusters website.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 1:38am »

on Nov 23rd, 2005, 8:43am, lionsound wrote:
Triptans like Maxalt, imitrex, zomig, often lose their power and we don't know why. Overuse possibly or sometimes they just quit working for us.  

GOD, i pray this never happens to me.  Trex is the HAMMER for me and is 100% successful for me so far.  But, i try to use it VERY sparingly.  only 1/4 to 1/3 of a dose, and only if the O2 hasnt brought my CH under a kip-7.  If i lose trex effectiveness, i dont know what i would do.......too depressing to think about.
Joshua, Im not a doctor, nor do i play one on TV, but in my personal opinion, i dont like Maxalt.  I think it may have to do with the size of the dose.  I took the 10mg dissolving tab thing, and I got CRUSHED by the beast.  
Also, if you are taking this frequently, sometimes more than 1 in a day, it is pretty hard on your heart.  Like E2 said, you take too much, or if you mix different delivery methods, you could be increasing your risk to have problems.
Do you use Oxygen?
Hope you can get some relief.....with or without the maxalt.
BMonee

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 11:00am »

on Nov 23rd, 2005, 7:49pm, Beastfodder wrote:
Maxalts come in melts too - melt in your mouth kind of thing it's a halfway house between the injection and the pill.

If you're stuck with pills I've even been told to crush them in your mouth and have them with a carbonated drink to help get in the bloodstream quicker.

Kip 8 and wind - now there's a thought.

Caught some of mine last time round - but it's not something I'd choose to have in my life. Try O2 - but have a good look at clusterbusters website.  

Common misconception with Maxalt. Studies have shown that it actually takes the melt tabs 5-10 minutes longer to become effective. Reason is that this particular drug is not absorbed through the mucous membranes of the mouth, but in the gut. A pill makes it to the gut quicker. Crushing it may actually speed up the process.

However, I don't discount the convenience of popping a melt in the middle of the night instead of searching for your pills and getting a glass of water.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
JoeKen
New Board Junior
England 

Late Life Sufferer.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 1st, 2005, 3:22pm »

Smiley
My question is only slightly related to this thread. I persuaded my GP to prescribe Maxalt 10mg Melts in the hope that it would act quicker than Almotriptan 12mg tabs  -  he was reluctant to give me my preferred 'upgrade', Imitrex nasal spray, on the grounds of cost.
Being the cautious type, the first time I tried the Maxalt Melts I cut the Melt in half and put the unused half back in the original packing, as best I could. The HA began to fade in 10 mins and was gone completely in 20 and I became an instant fan. The next time that I got a HA that did not respond to oxygen I returned to the saved half Melt, but this time it had no effect and I had to sit out the HA until the beast found other things to do. Within a couple of days I was hit by another Kip7 ish HA and went for a full Maxalt Melt tablet which cleared it in about a couple of hours.
Questions: -
1)   Is the active ingredient in the Maxalt (Rizatriptan) very volatile at room temperatures  -  each Melt is individually sealed in a plastic and foil pod which is then individually sealed in a paper and foil envelope, 3 of which are then sealed into a semi-airtight plastic box  -  would this explain the ineffectiveness of the second half Melt?
2)   Up to the time I took the first half Melt I had been having only shadows and managing to control them with loads of strong black coffee and oxygen. To be hit so soon afterwards with a Kip 7 made me wonder if the Maxalt was possibly to blame  -  any thoughts?
Has anyone any advice or similar experiences to advise?
3)   I am now in possession of both Almotriptan tabs and Maxalt Melts. Until I read one of the posts above I would have thought nothing of following an ineffective Almotriptan dose with a Maxalt dose, or vice versa, after the specified interval of 2 hours. I guess the potential relief that such an action may supply would generally be considered too drastic  -  any further thoughts?
JoeKen
IP Logged

Not sure I should be here, but it's as near as I'm going to get to finding out what is the correct name for my condition. Usually KIP 5 or below but last up to 16 hours and always one-sided, behind the eye, usually right but ocassionally left.
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #9 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 4:48pm »

I had very similar problems with Imitrex tabs and injections. It worked great at first, but the tabs not only lost effectiveness (quit working completely) but also seemed to cause multiple day and night attacks. I've had the same problem with caffergot (ergotamine) though it seemed to have a longer effective duration after taking it.  

Sometimes toward the end of a cycle I get a constant high KIP level attack-several days worth. Almost sounds like a migraine at that point, but non-throbbing and definately debilitating. I've even had a monster 4 or 5 hour KIP9/10 that seems to end the cycle. After thinking for quite a while "why haven't I died yet?", it ebbs away. Usually just shadows for a week or so after that. Fortunately I normally get several years between cycles.  

Maxalt worked very well last round (first time trying it). I tried to use it only every other day (alternated with Stadol nasal spray). Always a gamble whether a full on attack is coming or just a KIP3 or 4 discomfort period. Got to take it ASAP to abort. I take meds with hot water when available (15 minutes to work on empty stomach). I would take a second 10mg if still having a definate break through attack. I did this at most only once each day (as directed). It didn't seem to cause multiple attacks or rebounds. I think the Verapamil was finally taking effect and cycle was ending too though. Best of luck, Rich
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss