Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Examples of Topamax problems? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Examples of Topamax problems?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Examples of Topamax problems?  (Read 970 times)
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Examples of Topamax problems?
« on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went to Diamond Clinic this week where they re-confirmed migraines without aura and episodic clusters.  I've been on inderal for a few years, have imitrex injections and oral as abortives, but just received a prescription for Topamax.  (As well as O2 for my next cluster cycle - woohoo!)  My question is this...can anyone provide specific examples of how Topamax has made them dumb?  Are we talking about things like "Oh, I forgot where I put my keys"  or "Oh, I forgot where I live"?  I'm just trying to get some perspective on this.  I have a very detail-oriented job, so I want to know what I should watch for...

As always, thanks for the insight!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Examples of Topamax problems?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:09pm »

on Jan 21st, 2005, 5:54pm, E-Double wrote:
Freaking weeks and I could not tolerate it!!

I literally sat with my clients/students and could not run procedures that I developed!
I was having brain farts like you could believe and I need my wits!!!

I'm off this crap! Called the doc!

Wishing you luck!

Let us know!

Eric

edited to add everything does taste like ASS!!

on Jan 21st, 2005, 6:58pm, E-Double wrote:
I was pouring my heart out to my family here regarding the effects of the Topamax on my memory.......

To say the least I forgot who I am......
How to treat my clients......
How to teach.......
How to think.......
I was in totallly distraught today!!

Point being...........

I forgot to send it lol

but it sure felt good to get out!

Eric

It sucked!  
But a few find relief from it.
Good luck!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Kidney stones. Twice.  

Thats all I have to say about DOPEYMAX  Grin

UNsolved
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 2:48am »

What Eric said.

It sucked big time for me but it must be said that all people do not experience the side effects.

So good luck!
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #4 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 6:30am »

Hi Anne,

I tried the topomax for a very short while, it slurred my speach, I forgot words and I felt nauseous (sp? sick Grin) constantly and in regards my ch - I thought my head was going to explode!!  

And yet like Jasmine says some people find it works well for them..... ??

Good luck,

Kate
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 9:03am »

Doctor gave me a month sample of Topamax.After 6 days it left me in a total stuper.I have worked in the same place for 33 years and was on my way to the restroom and got lost!I had no warning it was going to hit me this way.Dr.claimed that side effects were usually not too bad.Anyway headaches were still the same,but was told that I didn't give the Topamax enough time to work!It works for some,but my advice is be very careful. TongueDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
jon019

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 1:49pm »

Hi Ann,

Have very aggressive neuro. Ramped me up to 100mg very quickly which resulted in following:

unsafe driver (3 near accidents)
could not coherently organize thoughts
unable to spell words I know by heart
lost writing skills
lack of motivation (I basically did not care about anything and could stare at whatever for hours)

Revisited neuro who actually apologized for "the hammer" approach. Based on my initial presentation (desperation and despair) she thought it best to hit the beast hard. I hold no ill will and would do it again.

We decided to try a lower dose "and see what happens". Currently taking 15 mg which still causes some early morning "fog" and spelling/writing problems.
BUT, along with verapamil and O2 and zomig standbys I have been PF since 9/14.  

It's all a tradeoff and right now I'm choosing a little fog but functionality vs debilitating pain, desperation and despair. The battle goes on.

You are wise to investigate what you may be getting into. I would give topamax a try, with the thought that  
the lowest effective dose should be your goal.

BTW, inderal was totally ineffective for me but verapamil
seems to help

PF wishes

Jon

IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #7 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 3:22pm »

I had all the usual issues with Topamax.  However,  I had what I call PHYSICAL hallucinations  I felt like I was traped in a box, my vision was distorted, my sence of smell was wacked up also.  I was sent home from work because my eyes glazed, my speach slurred.  I had a Doctor who I respect very much come up ( I worked in a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist) and grab me and ask what was wrong with me without me even saying anything.  So people KNEW that the drug was making me GOOFY as the neuro said.  

Good Luck!

Mynm156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 5:11pm »

Thanks to everyone for your help!  I hope I'm in that group that is ok on it, but I'll watch out for the weird stuff!

Thanks again!
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 7:09pm »

Dopeymax made me forgetful and caused me to fall asleep at a staff meeting with the Colonel-good thing he had a good sense of humor.  Didn't do a thing for the clusters.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 3:21am »

Ann,

I hope that your meds work for you. Smiley

In my case, dopeymax made my ch worse. When I started it, I had a 24/7 headache exactly on the same place ch is for 6 days. Then I got up to 11 ch hits a day.
And I becme very forgetful. For an example, I went to a store and forgot why I went there.

So it was more trouble for me.

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #11 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 6:57am »

on Dec 4th, 2005, 5:11pm, Ann9900 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your help!  I hope I'm in that group that is ok on it, but I'll watch out for the weird stuff!

Thanks again!

Anne,  
Do you have someone like a spouse. close friend, or other relative that can watch for the weird stuff too? It is very helpful if you tell someone what side effects to look out for because often they can notice changes in you first.

Be well and PF,
lionsound
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 7:05am »

on Dec 5th, 2005, 6:57am, lionsound wrote:

Anne,  
Do you have someone like a spouse. close friend, or other relative that can watch for the weird stuff too? It is very helpful if you tell someone what side effects to look out for because often they can notice changes in you first.

Be well and PF,
lionsound

Absolutely!
IP Logged

Space in-between them
Ann9900
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 7:42pm »

Well, there is my husband.  But when it comes to being observant...that is another story.  It doesn't help that he isn't exactly sympathetic to the "headache" problem.  Other than co-workers, there isn't anyone else I'm around regularly enough.  

I'm debating whether or not to tell my boss.  On one hand, she can be aware and watch for the mistakes.  On the other hand, do I want to tell her she may have an idiot working for her?!?

I'm an excellent speller, so that is one thing that will definitely stand out to me (of course - assuming I notice the errors).

I'm on 25mg now for 10 days, then 50 mg.  Then I stay on that until I go back on January 9th.
IP Logged
jon019

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 11:18pm »

Dear Ann,

I know I have sent mixed msgs on topamax. It is one of the frustrations of CH that what works for one is sworn as worthless or worse for others. It troubles me to give any kind of advice as it all seems so arbitrary.

Topomax is one of the few that works, doesn't , or makes everything worse. It's a gamble, but dammit it aint permanent no matter what. I still say it is worth a try (and the more you know about it before hand the better).

I have two more words of advice then I'll shutup:

1) absolutely know what you are getting into, BUT, don't be so worried about side effects that it destroys any chance this may work for you.  

2) re spelling: It is something I have always prided myself on. Why?, who knows but it was something I was good at and noone could take away. To be unable to do it was a shock but I had to adapt. Found a coworker who was sympathetic and had the best dictionary in the place. Used it when I needed (and you will know) and told her when I don't need this anymore you will know I'm OK. If I still need it, please bear with me. She has and did (God bless her) and I will get through this. You can too.

Whatever your decision, I am thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 9:46pm »

At low doses I was fine. I was stupid when it was upped. But it worked great for a good six months. I have even thought about giving it another try. Everyone is different. My aunt takes 200 mgs for her  HA and has no problems.
IP Logged
andyiceman
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 7:31pm »

Hi,

"Topurslfmax" was a great idea by my neuro - trouble was it was a terrible idea for me.  Yes for some pts it really works.  For me, slurred speech, forgot where to drive to office - in fact on day three of treatment couldn't safely rembmer handbrake drill so thought it best to not go in!
Stopped by GP after 10 days - worst med induced 10 days and it still had no effect on my CCH.
Nice try docs - didn't work
IP Logged
BK
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 10:48am »

I have a question about topamax for those of you who have experienced bad effects.  I see one response citing 6 days into treatment before noticing bad effects.  How long for others?  I'm into day 2 on 250mg ER once a day and haven't noticed any ill effects other than a little tiredness.  I go up to twice a day in a week.  So I'm trying to gauge when I should really be concerned about getting dopey.
Thanks
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 10:54am »

1st day felt absent minded
IP Logged

Space in-between them
jon019

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:05pm »

Hi BK,

Are you sure that is not 25 mg (not 250, which is a lot).
In my case it was a one week ramp up from 25 to 50 to 75 to 100. Literature search and a pharmacist says this is pretty typical. On the other hand, if your neuro is using Topo as a cycle buster (some evidence in literature for this) maybe 250mg is his/her intent.
500mg a day sounds like way to much for a maintenance dose though.

Started noticing really disturbing side effects after one week and at 100 mg/day (quickly ramped down). Currently taking 15 mg/day. Some negative effects and am considering stopping(which could be tempting cycle restart, so not an insignificant decision).

You need to know if this a short course dosage or maintenance. Ask the doc.  

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
simplevox
New Board Newbie
USA 

greenbride2004  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:15pm »

I had terrible experiences with Topomax.  I had all the slurred speech and loss of motor skills. I crashed my car three times in a week. The worst part though was that it also causes you not to sweat ( I found this out on the manufacturer's website).  That may be alright during the winter when it's cold, but I was on it during August in Texas (whenit was 110 degrees outside) and I couldn't be outside for more than 5 minutes without literally passing out from being overheated.  I walked a few blocks to lunch one day and then passed out back at my office... literally fell down in the floor.  My husband had to come get me. I will NEVER take it again.
IP Logged

Simplevox
BK
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 1:28pm »

Jon,

Yes it is 250 and not 25.  I thought seriously about taking that much to start but my cycle keeps ramping up so out of desperation...  

If that ends up being too much I will get a lower dose and titrate up.  But I was trying to get a feel about when it would hit me full force.  I can't tolerate any abortive thus far so my neuro is trying to hit me with all he can for control.

Thanks for the input.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss