Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « this might help »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   this might help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: this might help  (Read 808 times)
tex_leger
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

this might help
« on: Dec 5th, 2005, 10:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I started Kudzu and after 24hr. it worked great then after 7 days it stopped back to a lot of pain. this went on for 5 days until I found a review by Dr. Todd D. Rozen where he said to try 10mg of Melatonin, I had been taken 6mg and it didn't help,so at 7pm 1 hr before my hit I tryed 12mg then waited, waited all night and no c/h couldn't believe it, so the next night I did the same thing and again no c/h I hope it keeps working. Dr. Rozen said you can take higher doses if necessary. I know this is to soon to tell how long it will work but i wanted to get this info out in case it could help someone. Melatonin is a cheap fix if it works.
good luck
tex Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: this might help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 10:32am »

Tex, thanks for your imput on melatonin.  Many members of this board use it with varying degrees of success.  So it's really great to hear about your progress with it.  I hope it continues. PF wishes to you.
Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 11:06am »

Another convert into the fold.  Grin
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
tex_leger
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 9:18am »

got hit last night tried 39 mg of melatonin didn't help c/h lasted 3hr's able to go to sleep at 11pm woke up at 1am with a c/h tried 3 tylenol didn't help tried 15mg melatonin again and it worked within 5 min. headache was gone don't understand why it worked the second time and not the first.
take care
Tex Huh Huh Huh Huh
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 12:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 7th, 2005, 9:18am, tex_leger wrote:
got hit last night tried 39 mg of melatonin didn't help c/h lasted 3hr's able to go to sleep at 11pm woke up at 1am with a c/h tried 3 tylenol didn't help tried 15mg melatonin again and it worked within 5 min. headache was gone don't understand why it worked the second time and not the first.
take care
Tex Huh Huh Huh Huh

I'm sorry but, 39mg?????  Holy shit, was that a typo?

BTW, tylenol ain't gonna do anything except cause rebounds.   The only thing I'm using currently for shadows, is Excedrin Migraine, and that's during the day when I don't get hit.  The night before last I tried 9mg of melatonin, didn't do much for me, but LAST night I tried 6mg melatonin in addition to taking a kudzu before bed, and that made my hit more manageable.

Perhaps you OD'd on the melatonin?  It'd might be better to try a lesser dose instead of a larger one next time?  Also, how much kudzu are you taking a day?
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2005, 12:37pm by Melissa » IP Logged
tex_leger
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 1:29pm »

no 39mg is right I've been reading on the net where they have given up to 1000 mg with no side effects maybe less is better. I take 6 pills 613mg a day. I hope the Kudzu starts working again. I called my Dr. to go back on pred. for the holidays.
take care
Tex Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 5:22pm »

on Dec 7th, 2005, 1:29pm, tex_leger wrote:
no 39mg is right I've been reading on the net where they have given up to 1000 mg with no side effects maybe less is better. I take 6 pills 613mg a day. I hope the Kudzu starts working again. I called my Dr. to go back on pred. for the holidays.
take care
Tex Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided

Wow, ok, I've never heard of that before.  I'd still check with a doc first, before taking such a large quantity.  As for the kudzu, I take the NSI brand myself which is I believe 1300mg per capsule, 3x a day.  You can check my thread "Starting kudzu again", or something like that, to see my progress.

Good luck to you!
mel
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 6:16pm »

6 or 9 mg of Melatonin 30 minutes before bedtime is the recommended dose to help prevent nighttime CH hits. I doubt that higher doses will provide any additional benefit. However, higher doses won't hurt you.

"Melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known. People have taken as much as 6 grams (600 to 3000 times the normal dosage) of the substance in carefully monitored studies with no sign of toxicity. Only four complaints regarding melatonin have been report to the FDA (USA's Food and Drug Administration). The only consistent side effect of high doses has been drowsiness and a slower reaction time. In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects. The FDA reports that in the more than two years melatonin has been available for sale over-the-counter in the United States, no alarming side effects have been reported."

http://www.melatonin.com/

BB
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 7th, 2005, 9:48pm »

Thanks for the info. Bob.  I still wouldn't take too much for myself, but if others want to, well, whatever. Undecided  

Ya know, since I went down 3mg, from 9mg to 6mg, the pain wasn't as severe when I awoke at night.  So personally, I'll stick with lower doses.

tex, let us know how tonight goes.

mel
IP Logged
tex_leger
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 10:23am »

not a good night. It seems to be hit and miss. the first one I had no trouble stopping it, the second one I had to ride it out. This has been the worst year I ever had hope it ends soon. I wish the Kudzu would kick back in. I can't understand why it stopped after 7 days.
take care
Tex Huh Huh Huh
IP Logged
tex_leger
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 9:37am »

Thursday night I took 60mg of melatonin. I started at 7pm and took 15mg every 15 min. till 8pm. waited for my 8pm hit it showed up at 9pm k2 and lasted 5min a gift. Went to bed and slept till 1am got hit again k2 got up took another 15mg melatonin and in 5 min. it was gone. the rest of the night was good. Went to my Dr. on friday and he put me back on Pred. for the holidays so right now I'm in great shape. Will do a lot of research on Melatonin and hope to get the right dose. Anyway right now I'll enjoy my grand kids for Christmas.
Merry Chirstmas to all and I hope you have a P/F one.
Tex Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 5:44pm »

on Dec 12th, 2005, 9:37am, tex_leger wrote:
Thursday night I took 60mg of melatonin. I started at 7pm and took 15mg every 15 min. till 8pm. waited for my 8pm hit it showed up at 9pm k2 and lasted 5min a gift. Went to bed and slept till 1am got hit again k2 got up took another 15mg melatonin and in 5 min. it was gone. the rest of the night was good. Went to my Dr. on friday and he put me back on Pred. for the holidays so right now I'm in great shape. Will do a lot of research on Melatonin and hope to get the right dose. Anyway right now I'll enjoy my grand kids for Christmas.
Merry Chirstmas to all and I hope you have a P/F one.
Tex Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

The dosage varies from person to person, but most usually have success with anywhere from 6-9mg.  Some have had luck with much lower doses as well; you may have to experiment with the dosage, in order to find the one that is best for you
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss