Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 8:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Rooibos Tea? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Rooibos Tea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rooibos Tea?  (Read 6784 times)
Melissa

Email

Rooibos Tea?
« on: Dec 8th, 2005, 12:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just got my 1st box of this stuff by UPS today and was wondering if anyone else drinks it?  I do like the taste of it, with a tiny bit of Splenda, and it is very comforting while hot.

According to Flo's info:

Quote:
Rooibos is an interesting alternative to coffee or tea. This 'red bush' from Africa makes a caffeine free tea that has a number of health benefits.  

Rooibos contains a flavonoid called Orientin, which has a verapamil like action. It lowers blood pressure by inhibition of both intracellular Ca2+ release and extracellular Ca2+ influx, which relaxes blood vessels.  

Rooibos contains rutin, a flavanoid that may be useful for veinous insufficiency. Some research has indicated the Sinus Problems that many clusterheadaches suffer from are associated with veinous insufficiency that affects the trigeminal nerve.  

It is not clear whether two or three cups a day contains enough orientin to have a verapamil-like effect, or whether there is an interaction with verapamil. Regular use of the tea is believed to help with a variety of other benefits, including:  

nervous tension  
allergies  
skin conditions  
digestive problems

http://med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Rooibos

I ordered it from the link given on the page through Amazon.com.  The name of the supplier is "The South African Food Shop"(www.southafricanfoodshop.com) out of North Carolina.

I guess we'll see just how low my BP gets between the kudzu, xanax and now this tea eh? LOL  (BTW, I have severe anxiety, so anything that lowers my BP is a good thing)

mel
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

Re: Rooibos Tea?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 4:24pm »

Well, I must say that after I finished my mug of tea at 1pm, I got very sleepy.  I went and laid down on my bed, closed my eyes, and all of a sudden I drifted off to sleep.  For the next 2 hours I had my husband telling me by for work and my son coming in and out waking me up off and on.  But ya know what?  It was the most lovely 2 interrupted hours of sleep I've had in MONTHS!  Even before my cycle started.

Right now that I've been up for about 20min, I am shadowing on and off, like I usually do during the day, but as I sit here typing, it sometimes feels just like a burning sensation in my temple, which is bearable.

I'm definately going to have a mug of the tea along with my kudzu and melatonin before bed tonight.  I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Smileymel
IP Logged
Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 7:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ahhh - nothing beats the refreshing power of sleep!  Good for you Mel - hope this continues to work for you.

Carol
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2005, 10:38pm »

sleep good Grin
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Flash

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 6:24am »

Yes but I only discovered it lately which so have not been able to guage it's impact on CH.  I suspect that if it did anything it might help with shadows similar to gunpowder tea which I have found to be very effective.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 7:04am »

cool Mel/Flash/Floridian
Thanks!

I saw it for sale at Earth Fare
(they have a monstrously big herbal section)
I'll have to try it.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Melissa

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 7:14am »

Well, can't give any info. on how the tea has an effect on my nighttime ch's because I believe the melatonin screwed me up. Undecided

Tonight I won't be taking any melatonin and will just have the kudzu and tea.  I'll update once again.  

*sigh*
mel

p.s. if that doesn't help, then I'm going to include a xanax before bedtime also.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005, 7:16am by Melissa » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 7:24am »

Oh veteran sister of ours, you should know that you must give something time to take effect.

Don't meddle too much, too quickly with your chosen cocktail.

I know it's hard, especially when dealing with the increase in anxiety ( I really understand).

Little by little so things don't run amuck on ya Wink

Hang in there!!!

Kiss
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 7:42am »

on Dec 9th, 2005, 7:24am, E-Double wrote:
Oh veteran sister of ours, you should know that you must give something time to take effect.

Don't meddle too much, too quickly with your chosen cocktail.

I know it's hard, especially when dealing with the increase in anxiety ( I really understand).

Little by little so things don't run amuck on ya Wink

Hang in there!!!

Kiss

Goddamnit I hate this!!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

I'm sorry Eric...I really am.  OMG I hate this. Cry

hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer hammer
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005, 7:52am by Melissa » IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #9 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 9:12am »

hug hug hug
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

FiRe: Rooibos Tea?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 9:41am »

First of, thanks Rori for the hugs. Smiley

Secondly, it WAS the melatonin screwing me up.  I updated my other thread to reflect it.

Thirdly, I do believe the tea helps with the shadows, albeit mildly.  Either way, the stuff tastes good. Grin
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 3:33am »

Mel, I was raised on Rooibos Tea and cup fulls a day!

Kids were not supposed to have any caffeinated drinks and we give it to our babies as a cooling, soothing drink, without milk, it enhances sleep and calm babies down.

The tea is used as a face wash to alleviate skin rashes and has been believed for years to enhance the youthful appearance of skin.  It is a great anti-oxidant.  We have a skin care rage made from Rooibos.

So, yes, it is good stuff.  I just can't stand the smell or taste of it anymore after years of drinking the stuff, it is a naturally more sweet tea than normal teas and it does not contain the caffeine that I really can't go without.

Maybe I should start drinking it again as it is cheap and plentiful over here.  Totally forgot about our own stuff because it is under my nose but maybe also because of the overdose I had as a child.

Thanks for the reminder.

BTW:  You can never drink an overdose of Rooibos and as an adult you'll probably have to drink quite a lot to get the Verap effect.
It makes a good ice tea - without milk, with or without some lemon and/or honey.  You can replace your normal water intake with weak black Rooibos tea.
Warm Rooibos is nice with milk and brown sugar (just remember it is naturally sweeter so you'll use less sugar).
Rooibos without the milk makes and excellent herbal bath and face wash.
It also enhances shine and the colour of hair when used as a rinse - if you have reddish coloured hair.

Hope you find some benefits from it.

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss