Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 3:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?     »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?    
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?      (Read 4382 times)
Ueli

Email

Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?    
« on: Dec 10th, 2005, 12:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I asked this week my GP for something to help to fall asleep, so I could go to bed before 6 am.

He gave me Clonazepam (Klonopin) 0.5 mg to take half an hour before bed time.

Now, according to the package insert and to RXlist.com this stuff has a list of nasty side effects longer than my arm. If I followed the instructions I would either die of starvation (no driving to the grocery store) or with thirst (no more beer or other booze).

Sleep would be something nice, but to buy it together with lots of horrible side effect is not exactly what I wish for.

So my questions:
Has anybody some experience with this stuff?  
Or any other (issue-related) comments?  
How does it interact with CH?

I have tried: Melatonin - no effect at all.
The neuro gave me Carbamazepine (Tegretol) and Trimipramine (Surmontil). Both great to sleep, but beyond awful the day after.

Oddly enough, I recently took a few times Paracetamol/Acetaminophen against a tooth ache, and I slept well those nights, and without any aftereffects. Could this be the solution to my problem?

PFNADs, Ueli                  smokin

IP Logged
CHTom

Email

Re: Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?    
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 1:24am »

Normally used as an anti-anxiety agent but also good for sleep.  Actual side-effects are minimal, with drowsiness being the most common, so often used to help people sleep.  If taken at night, you shouldn't feel sleepy during the day, particularly at the .5mg dose; very low addiction potential and overall an excellent medication, safe to take (just don't combine it with alcohol).  I have used it without any problems; no adverse action on CH, may actually help with the anxiety that often occurs with severe CH attacks.  You can feel safe taking it-sleep well.
IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?   &
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am using Klonopin for a muscle relaxer, 1mg twice a day. It works great for that. The only thing I've noticed is it does make me relax, and for the first couple weeks, it would make me sleepy. (I started taking it only at night at first) When I take it during the day, I usually have some caffeine to offset any drowsiness. When I take it in the evening, sometimes I will doze off, then wake up after about a half hour or so. The drowsiness doesn't really bother me anymore.  

If it works for you, great! I don't really worry too much about most side effects, unless I've had a problem with a certain class of drugs in the past. I just take them, and if I have side effects, and they bother me, I let the doc know, and try something else. Not every side effect affects every person.  

Alcohol will intensify the effect, so be careful. I probably wouldn't wash it down with a glass of cognac.
IP Logged

floridian

Email

Re: Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?   &nbs
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 7:01pm »

I have taken klonipin for anxiety/panic - my prescription is for 0.5 mg twice a day. I find that even half a tablet in the morning is often enough. I asked to switch to that from xanax, as klonipin is longer acting, has fewer ups and downs.

There have been some anecdotal reports that benzodiazepines like xanax and klonipin may be beneficial for CH - lessens frequency and/or intensity, cuts shadows. See Mel's thread on xanax.  

The benzos can lead to a dependency if used regularly. My personal strategy is to use them when necessary, to use flavonoid GABA-mimetic compounds for day to day augmentation of inhibitory neuro-receptors.  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Benzodiazepi ne%20Drugs

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2005, 7:03pm by floridian » IP Logged
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

Re: Any info on Clonazepam (Klonopin)?    
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 8:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I take clomazepam (i think i spelled it wrong) for panic attacks I take a full one 0.5 mg before i go into a walmart or any place crowded and noisey side effects only makes me kinda tired Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss