Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 12:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Xanax and Shadows... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Xanax and Shadows...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Xanax and Shadows...  (Read 857 times)
Melissa

Email

Xanax and Shadows...
« on: Dec 10th, 2005, 2:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ok, after trying everything under the sun this morning to rid myself of these blasted shadows, I finally broke down and took a .5mg Xanax because my anxiety was becoming quite elevated due to the shadows and my 2 kids.  Well, 20 min. later I was a lot calmer and my shadows disappeared.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?

thx,
mel

P.S. I'm agitated again, but it's because my kids won't freaking SHUT UP!  The shadows are still gone though, but I wouldn't doubt if maybe they are due to a residual tension after an attack(s) at night?
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Re: Xanax and Shadows...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Mel, I had that very thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago.  I went back in to talk to the doc and she gave me 3 more refills to help with the shadows during a high cycle and over the holidays.

I asked her if it would be that it was calming the trigeminal nerve, and she said that it was more likely coming from the seratonin and norepinephrine levels being affected.

Not sure why it worked, don't really care, it worked Smiley

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 6:51pm »

A few other people here have reported improvement after taking benzo's like xanax - I think Karla was one, and there was atleast one other.
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 8:23pm »

Well, not too long after I had my shadows go away from the Xanax, I laid down to take a nap and slept 3 hour uninterrupted without any pain.  After I woke up I felt a bit out of sorts and within 30 min. the shadows returned.  I then decided to take a 1/2 pill of xanax (.25mg) and they've seemed to lessen once again.

I think this evening before bedtime along with my Kudzu, I'm going to take another full pill (.5mg).  I'll update in the morning as to how that affected my nighttime hit(s).

Cat- it's hard to get refills on that stuff because of the addictive factor.  I was shocked when I had called my doc to let him know I went into cycle with my anxiety escalated, and he called in 60 pills for me (no refills).  
All things considered, I thought that was great.  All I want is a full freaking nights rest in order to help get past my anxiety again, sheesh! Wink
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 10:46pm »

Mel, you are correct about their high addictive qualities.  Xanax doesn't take long and doesn't take much for a person to become addicted, especially in a situation where it both lessens anxiety and alleviates shadows.  

My doc gave me 36 pills with 2 refills, .5mg.  After all hell broke loose back in the fall with my grandmother dying, helping a murderer, erasing a VHSC tape of the last xmas with my dad alive, being diagnosed with pheochromocytoma (false positive) etc. etc. I was at the end of my rope and my doc wasn't in.  The other doc I saw put me on the xanax at 2mg 2-3 times a day as needed.  I was in LOOPY land!!!  I had no idea it would have that effect on me.  When I got back in to see MY doc she put me on the smaller dose.  If she hadn't I wouldn't have taken anymore, as it was I was breaking them in half and quarters.   Because it affected me so badly I take them very reluctantly and only when I absolutely have to.  

I took it after shadowing at about a 4-5 all day and the kids were just about due home from school and I knew I wasn't going to be a very nice Mom, so I took it to help with the bitchiness, and to my surprise, not only did it help me not be bitchy above my norm Wink it killed the shadow.   I haven't tried it a second time though, so not sure if it works beyond that one time incident.

Let me know if it helps you at night, lately sleep hasn't been of any quality at all and in very little quantity.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 11:08pm »

I have the opposite effect with benzos...as soon as I relax on them, i get slammed!  Weird how some meds help some, and hurt others...the damn beast pisses me off.....smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11th, 2005, 8:40am »

Didn't help worth a crap for sleeping.  Still got slammed last night.  BUT, I take 1 .5mg pill each morning to help with my anxiety from losing sleep and it helps the shadowing immensely.  For the rest of the day if they get worse, I just hit the tea (or coffee) and excedrin migraine to take care of them.  I am now just accepting that no matter what I do, I'm gonna get hit at night.  I'd reach for my trex to kill it, but I'm trying this cycle med free because I am on enough stuff as it is right now.  Right now I'm going to update my other thread to reflect my decisions on what I'm ingesting each day.  

Shake me and I'll rattle Mel.
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 12:40am »

Any Dude's take this on a regular basis. I do and have had strange changes in my unspeakables.

Lee
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 2:30pm »

I've been taking .25mg morning and mid-afternoon for about 14 mos.  During that time, my attacks have become less and less frequent.  Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.  

Also, during this time I have been on the water/water/water regimen, and seemed to notice more shadowing on those days I didn't keep the water consumption as high.

However, if you read my post "Cancer, Chemo and Clusters" in Headache Specific, I was thinking the chemo might have had something to do (somehow) with my lessening attacks . . . . who knows?  But I'm certainly not bitchin' . . .  VERY grateful for any and all CH PF days.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss