Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mangosteen / Xanthone update »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mangosteen / Xanthone update
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mangosteen / Xanthone update  (Read 956 times)
floridian

Email

Mangosteen / Xanthone update
« on: Dec 20th, 2005, 7:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Was pouring through a few hundred abstracts on histamine and serotonin for a newsletter article, and came across one I didn't see during the previous discussion on Mangosteen juice.  One of the ingredients that is fairly unique to that fruit is a potent serotonin 5-HT2 antagonist - putting it in the same category as kudzu.  This research "narrowed it down" to the serotonin-2A receptor, although they didn't test it for 5-HT2C, only -1, -2A, -2B, and -4.  

Quote:
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 1998 Jan;357(1):25-31.  
    Gamma-mangostin, a novel type of 5-hydroxytryptamine 2A receptor antagonist.

Chairungsrilerd N, Furukawa KI, Ohta T, Nozoe S, Ohizumi Y.

Department of Pharmaceutical Molecular Biology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan.

Gamma-mangostin, purified from the fruit hull of the medicinal plant Garcinia mangostana caused a parallel rightwards shift of the concentration/response curve for the contraction elicited by 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) in the rabbit aorta (pA2 = 8.2) without affecting the contractile responses to KCl, phenylephrine (alpha1) or histamine (H1). The perfusion pressure response of rat coronary artery to 5-HT (5-HT2A) was reduced concentration dependently by gamma-mangostin (IC50 = 0.32 microM). 5-HT amplified, ADP-induced aggregation of rabbit platelets (5-HT2A) was inhibited by gamma-mangostin (IC50 = 0.29 microM), whereas that induced by thrombin was not affected, nor did gamma-mangostin affect 5-HT-induced contraction of the guinea-pig ileum (5-HT3)in the presence of 5-HT1, 5-HT2 and 5-HT4 receptor antagonists. Furthermore, 5-HT-induced contraction of the rat fundus (5-HT2B) and 5-HT-induced relaxation of the rabbit aorta in the presence of ketanserin (5-HT1) and carbachol-induced contraction of the guinea-pig ileum (muscarinic M3) were not affected by gamma-mangostin (5 microM). Gamma-mangostin inhibited [3H]spiperone binding to cultured rat aortic myocytes (IC50 = 3.5 nM). The Kd for [3H]spiperone binding was increased by gamma-mangostin (3 nM) from 11.7 to 27.4 nM without affecting Bmax. These results suggest that gamma-mangostin is a novel competitive antagonist, free from a nitrogen atom, for the 5-HT2A receptors in vascular smooth muscles and platelets.

PMID: 9459569 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Still not selling it; still haven't even tried it, but there is some basis to believe it may have a preventive effect. If I were to buy it, it would be from my local wharehouse club, which has it for about 1/2 the price that the MLM people sell it for.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2005, 7:10am by floridian » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Mangosteen / Xanthone update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 10:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for that, Jonathan.  Smiley
We all appreciate the amount of work you put into your research. You never know... it could just be the next kudzu.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
jckgales
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Mangosteen / Xanthone update
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 9:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jonathan,
 Yes, thanks for your research , Doubt that anyone cares but I'm still doing great on the mangosteen as long as i take it regular.
Jackie Gales
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss