Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chronic CH & Melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chronic CH & Melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chronic CH & Melatonin  (Read 2196 times)
dougW
New Board Veteran
Canada 

pain is inevitable.   suffering is optional

Email

Chronic CH & Melatonin
« on: Feb 14th, 2002, 10:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As reported on Medscape today.  There is a lot of info out there on Melatoin, I'm in the process of compiling a  list.  

Doug Wright

Chronic Cluster Headache May Resolve With Melatonin Treatment

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Preventive treatment with melatonin provided complete relief in two patients with long-standing chronic cluster headache, clinicians at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia report.  
Drs. Mario F. P. Peres and Todd D. Rozen describe the cases in the December issue of Cephalalgia. Both patients experienced daily and nightly headache that began within 40 minutes to an hour after falling asleep.

The first patient, a 38-year-old man with a 20-year history of headaches, had been experiencing approximately six headaches per day for at least 10 months a year. As the authors discuss, remission had never lasted longer than 14 days.  

After the patient had tried steroid tapers, valproic acid, verapamil and lithium, the authors started him on a dose of melatonin 9 mg daily at bed time. After 2 days, the headaches disappeared for the duration of the 6 months' follow-up.

The second patient was 40 years old with an 8-year history of excruciating headaches 3 times a day. Like the first patient, he had experienced no headache-free periods lasting longer than 2 weeks. The authors documented that the 9-mg daily dose of melatonin resulted in remission for 8 months.

Drs. Peres and Rozen note that this is the first report of chronic cluster headache responding to melatonin, and that both nocturnal and daytime cluster attacks were prevented.

In an interview with Reuters Health, Dr. Rozen, who is currently affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, claimed that "melatonin is completely underused."

"The average dose of verapamil required is above 700 mg, more than the PDR recommends," he said. "With Depakote, we often need 2000 mg. So if we can use an agent like melatonin that is so benign, that is a real plus."

While the two patients described here continued using the preventive agent they were previous prescribed, "I've found patients who respond to melatonin alone," Dr. Rozen noted. In other patients, the dosage of the prophylactic agent could be cut in half.

He advises that melatonin be the first line of treatment for cluster headaches, both episodic and chronic. He has also found success in using melatonin to treat some migrainous headaches, hypnic headache, delayed sleep phase headache and seasonal hemicrania continua.

Cephalgia 2001;21:993-995.

IP Logged

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness. I'll meet you there. (Rumi)
Shelley

Email

Re: Chronic CH & Melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2002, 9:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just like so many things....some have reported results like the article.  Around here, it went into the dust bin with so many other things.
IP Logged
HowardS

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 5:51pm »

I am convinced that Melatonin triggered my CHs.  Of course, I was abusing Melatonin, taking it for about 3 months....

The moment I stopped taking Melatonin the cluster headache cycle ended!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2002, 6:32am by HowardS » IP Logged
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

Similarities between melatonin and psilocin
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 7:06pm »

Interesting to read that study. Pretty small sample size, though... just two patients. Still, it makes sense to me that melatonin could work -- the chemical formula of melatonin is C13H16N2O2, while the formula for psilocin is C12H16N20.  

Their 3-dimensional structure is strikingly similar as well. See:

http://www.erowid.org/cgi-bin/chem_compare/chem_compare.cgi?LM=_pl_mushr ooms_ia_psilocin_3d_mid.jpg&RM=_sm_melatonin_ia_melatonin_2d.gif

Thanks for the link.

pinky
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2002, 7:08pm by pinksharkmark » IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15th, 2002, 7:13pm »

Wow!!  Very cool!  Trust Professor Pinky to find this commonality.

The one and only time Mike took melatonin (which is illegal in Canada, go figure), he had an attack within 20 minutes.  But I think it might be worth trying again - maybe that attack was going to happen anyways.

Hmmm....it actually makes a lot of sense that they are similar in chemical structure.  I wonder why one promotes sleep, though, and the other one almost prevents it (for awhile, anyways).
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
MOB

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 2:23am »

Thanks once again DougW  Smiley

It's nice to know you are still out there looking out for us  Cheesy

Hope you are well ?

Best Wishes,

Michael (MOB)  Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss