Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hello from Becca »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   hello from Becca
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hello from Becca  (Read 841 times)
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

hello from Becca
« on: Feb 19th, 2002, 8:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Greetings all,  
I saw something about a "medical treatment plan" for CH mentioned someplace in my wanderings through this space, but have lost the reference now.  Seems that a CHer's doc had written up the protocall for the treatment of the person's cluster attacks in the event that he or she needed to visit an ER or a doctor unfamiliar with the person's history.  I don't know that that would get anyone through the ER doors faster, but it still seems like a useful document to have. (maybe  Smiley ) I hope we can get my husband's doctor to work with us in setting up a protocall for him.  I think we might be on the edge of one of his episodic periods of CH - shadows and jabs - We are both a little afraid to go to sleep lately!
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: hello from Becca
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 9:06pm »

Hi Becca
Sorry to hear your hubby may be going into cycle.  That's a scary time.  I'm going to try to move your post up to the General Posting area, because I'm not sure how to answer your question.  If it doesn't work, I'm going to copy and paste it there manually.  We'll find an answer for you, one way or another.
Hang in there,
Margi
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2002, 9:40pm »

There's a form at this address. It's from About's Site and for clusterheads care at emergency rooms. It might be a good idea to remove the word "migraine" in the section that lists the meds and put in "cluster headaches." It also might be a good idea to change the definition in the very begining so it doesn't claim CHs is just an episodic condition.

http://headaches.about.com/library/forms/f-emerg-doc-ch.htm
IP Logged
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 7:52am »

Thank you!  This form looks like just what we need.  

for a  bit of our history:
My hubby, Bill K, is one of those who has not taken (nor been offered prescriptions for) many medications for his CH.  He's been episodic for greater than 20 years.  We were trying to recall the beginning of this nightmare illness, and the nearest we can figure, it started back in the early 70's, shortly after we got married -  Shocked - I'm hoping that's a coincidence.......

Anyway, about the only thing he's ever used was a beta blocker, for a short time due to the fact that it didn't work well and had undesireable side effects for him. ( & me   Kiss )  He has also used darvocet, and lots of caffeine, for some relief during his cycles.

A few months ago we aquired a machine to concentrate oxygen from room air, which has helped some with aura type pains, but he has not had a full blown attack since he got the machine, so don't know yet if it can be of any use as an abortive.   We thought it might help since Bill also has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP to sleep.  He had a remission of CH episodes for a period of about three years after beginning the CPAP therapy for sleep apnea, but had a very bad episode about a year ago, and now seems to be on the cusp of another.  (We're getting nervous!)

Bill has on occasion, been able to abort an attack by doing some very energetic exercise at the very beginning of the episode, but that dosen't help, I think, with the usual scenario - which is the slammer that gets him while he's sound asleep.  

Like everyone here, we are grateful for this community of folks who know and understand about CH, and all the information you have to share, and willingness to help.  Thanks.  
IP Logged
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 8:56am »

If the concentrator doesn't work on full-blown attacks you might want to consider getting the regular cylinders. Concentrators haven't helped many people from what I've read (and experienced) plus there's the chance he'll get an attack and there will be a black out. Then the concentrator won't work.
IP Logged
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 10:26am »

Bummer - thought this expensive little machine might do the trick.  Will have to try once again to get Bill's doctor to prescribe the oxygen tank for home use.  

IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2002, 5:49pm »

My neurologist writes a little letter with a date and official letterhead on it.  It states that I suffer from frequent migraines and cluster headaches and that I occassionally need a narcotic injection to abort the headache.  Signed DR. X

This has gotten me just what I needed and avoided allergy treatments, and a bunch of other weird ideas and solutions to possible headache problems.  This way they say "what works"?  I say what works.  The dr. orders the shot and I am in and out in an hour max.  NICE.  Any dr. who doesn't follow I would file a complaint with the medical director and in the meantime ask to see a different dr because I know it is hospital policy for him to follow my drs note.

Good luck!!  Talk to your hospital/dr.  Know your options.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Becca
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24th, 2002, 9:36pm »

Aah ha!  -  Yours was the original reference I saw to the treatment plan form.  Thanks for your reply, and also thanks to Ted for the form he sent along (link for it).  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss