Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Give up the good stuff? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Give up the good stuff?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Give up the good stuff?  (Read 605 times)
barbee

Email

Give up the good stuff?
« on: Feb 20th, 2002, 9:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Friends kept telling me my CH must be from allergies.   ???So, I gave up the good stuff:  cheese, chocolate, wine,  vodka.  and guess what?  Still had the CH.  It's been a week since I had the things I like.  Tonight I'm having cheese, wine and chocolate, plus maybe a cappucino.  If I'm still having the CH, might as well enjoy the good stuff.  ;)
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

Re: Give up the good stuff?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2002, 5:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good for you! There may be those that have some kind of allergy problem but I'm not one of them. Nothing so far as I know caused them.  Had a friend who taught psychiatric nursing and thought that people are so anxious to at least find something definite that they blame everything on allergies.  I do not say it isn't true, but maybe in this case it is and you're right. If so, at least you'll not have to give up the good stuff.   Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2002, 6:40am »

I tried that too a few years ago.  Gave up all refined sugars, coffee, cheese..you name it..just to see.  Well that turned out to be a real joke.  It never had a thing to do with my clusters...just made life a little more boring! Tongue  I'm not saying that these things aren't triggers for some people...just not for this clusterhead.  Life is too short..we might as well enjoy ourselves!

PFDAN to you
IP Logged
David_M

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2002, 7:57am »

I read a posting yesterday from people who were vegetarians and vegans, and it didn't make a wit of difference for ch either.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2002, 8:13am »

Barbee, your friend probably heard something about the migraine trigger list, a meaningless (at least for us) collection of all the good stuff that some migrainer in the last 200 years thought to be a trigger.

Migrainers consider a trigger period of 24 hours or more, and if were the same for CH, then everything we eat or drink could be considered a trigger.  Embarassed

However, for CH a trigger is easy to identify: If you get an out of schedule attack within 2 hours of ingesting something, it is probably a trigger, but if it is something you like, better double check.  Smiley     If you don't get hit within 2 hours, it can be considered save.

There are very few common triggers for CH:
For 90% or more of all clusterheads alcohol is a sure fire trigger, so check on your wine and vodka.  
For some (~10%) MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate) that is used liberally as "taste enhancer" in many ready made food is a trigger.
A few Clusterheads have some other triggers, but these are so rare it makes no sense to collect them in a universally valid list.  

Coffee:  migrainers usually avoid coffee like the devil the holy water, but for many clusterheads coffee helps to abort an attack. Caffeine also helps to speed up the absorption of many meds.

We clusterheads are off bad enough, it makes no sense to deprive us of some goodies, just because of hear say.
Ueli
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2002, 6:29pm »

Everyone (everyone who doesn't understand clusters, that is) keeps telling me its something that I ate, too much stress, blah blah blah.  Well, I thought that there might be something to it, so I stopped eating and drinking the "known" triggers.  Didn't work.  Still got hit.  Now I just roll my eyes at them when they start diagnosing me.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
murphysmom

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2002, 8:36am »

Peace:  I've been a veggie-head for longer than I've been a clusterhead, but I did give up cigarettes and alcohol specifically because of ch.  But I still chow on chocolate and drink coffee.  (I don't eat meat for spiritual reasons) So hey whatever works for you. mmom Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss