Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need Help! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need Help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need Help!  (Read 762 times)
GlendaB
New Board Junior
USA 

Love you guys!

greenwinglove
Email

Need Help!
« on: Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone here use triptans and have high blood pressure and/or heart problems?

I had been advised by several doctors in the past not to ever use any of the triptans due to having tachycardia and arrhythmia.  And now my new GP is saying that I should try it.  Needless to say, this is scaring the hell out of me.  

Can you guys give me your opinions on this, what would you do?

Cry  Undecided
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:46pm by GlendaB » IP Logged

Pain-free days and nights to all!
With Lots of Love,
Glenda

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Laurie

Email

Re: Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 4:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You have already received multiple medical opinions from MDs who have evaluated your medical condition...and you say that all but 1 told you to stay away from triptans.  Perhaps your question should be "Is my new GP's recommendation different from that of the other MDs because (s)he has accurately evaluated my heart condition to be less serious that they other MDs thought it was, or because it's the only abortant (s)he is familiar with and (s)he knows I'm in unbearable pain?"

What abortant are you currently using?  Have you discussed alternative abortants (including oxygen) and prophylactics with a good neurologist?  You really, truely, absolutely need to talk to a neuro, not a GP, because the neuro will have greater knowledge of your options.

I have a healthy heart, use Zomig, and it scares the hell out of me too.  I may be particularly sensitive to triptans, but I stopped using Imitrex after 2 doses because I had symptoms similiar to those of a heart attack (like something very heavy was on my chest and I couldn't breath).   I didn't go back to sleep even after the CH was knocked back, because I thought I might die.  (It also worked great, which is why I risked a 1/2 dose the second time for a KIP 8.  And I still have the rest of the package packratted away, "just in case", in typical clusterhead fashion <s>).  For me, taking 2.5 mg Zomig (the lower dose!) is like being body slammed in the chest for 3 hours, but it's not as bad as the Imitrex...or the CH I'm aborting.  I'm rambling a bit.  My point is that triptans are wonderful meds, but they are deliver a pretty heavy blow to the circulatory system, and are not something to fool around with against medical advice.

Laurie

IP Logged
judyw
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran

Knowledge is Power

9537257 9537257   judyw143  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:37am »

Smiley I agree with Laurie on this Glenda...coming from a major heart disease family, have done much reading on some of this stuff...My heart doctor, whom my GP makes sure I consult on any med changes (even though, I seem clear of heart disease, thankfully) has been supportive of CH and its ramifications to my overall health...and, as I generally only have elevated B/P when chronic CH is having a tantrum...uses the Inderal to raise and lower CH symptoms as needed...as it also works for the B/P...Has noted strong use of Verap here and some of the other calcium blockers...but seems of the mind that I should not take it...As have had good results with this advice...Has worked for me for many years...even before him...He says the secret is in the dosage....good luck and keep us posted...143
IP Logged

judyw143
don

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:57am »

Have you made your GP aware of the other recommendations ?
IP Logged
GlendaB
New Board Junior
USA 

Love you guys!

greenwinglove
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 2:51pm »

Thanks for the replys!    Smiley

I did Don, and expressed my concerns also.  He stated that all my problems were being successfully treated with the meds that I am on and that there shouldn't be any problems.  My new GP is a wonderful doc, he said he just wanted me to be totally aware of my med options, and that he wasn't trying to confuse me with his opinion.  I told him I would have to be real, real bad before I would consider it.  

I think the negative feedback that I have gotten from docs in the past about me using triptans would make me really apprehensive and if I did try it the outcome
wouldn't be a positive one, although I could be wrong.

IP Logged

Pain-free days and nights to all!
With Lots of Love,
Glenda

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Paco
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 6:11pm »

The day of my angioplasty, I got hit in the hospital, starting another cycle. My cardiologist said no Imitrex. My local doc said no Imitrex. Two nights later--at home--a Kip 9-10 woke me. I stumbled into the bathroom and shot myself in the thigh with 6mg. The pain was gone in four minutes, and I didn't die. Thanks to a good friend, I have a stash of several shots that I will have no qualms about using when I get hit again. From a famous line in a movie: "What? You want to live forever?"  Tongue
IP Logged
Jack

Email

Note for Laurie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 6:37pm »

Your well reasoned post was great and logical and literate and good.

I particularly liked your use of the word prophylactic. I use that word sometimes too.

You used the word abortant.

I have a couple of questions:

Is abortant a word?

Is abortive a word?

If they are both words are thee distinctions between abortive and abortant that I , and others should know about.?  

I have ben using abortive.

Should I use abortant?

I think ch.com and the good leaders at OUCH might want to reserve the term abortant for descriptions of Hub, such as:

"That Hub sure is a mutant"  

or

"Hub, he's a downright abortant"

I apologize for this post in advance. If I hadn't spent this much time on it already I would probably just cancel it but this has taken me about 2 or 3 minutes so I will submit it.

Smiley
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 6:40pm »

I have borderline high blood pressure

I also have a "left bundle branch block".  The left side of my heart doesn't get the electrical signal teeling it to contract.  I borrows it's signal from the right side so it beats funny.

I've used all 3 forms of Imitrex, Zomig, Maxalt and Amerge with no problems.

PACO - you better not keel over you scum!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Paco
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23rd, 2002, 6:53pm »

Have left instructions with my attorney in case I flake out. Karen wants a Harley.  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss