Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Dosage of regular Verapamil (not SR)? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Dosage of regular Verapamil (not SR)?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dosage of regular Verapamil (not SR)?  (Read 361 times)
JackieN

Email

Dosage of regular Verapamil (not SR)?
« on: Mar 10th, 2002, 10:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I started on regular Verapamil a few weeks ago.  I'm up to 200 mg, which I take all at once, with dinner.  All my clusters occur during sleep.

Could you guys tell me your Verapamil dosage, and if you take it all at once?  I've still been getting the attacks, and am hoping to go higher with the Verap.

Thanks.

Jackie
IP Logged
tsol75
New Board Junior

tsol75  
Email

Re: Dosage of regular Verapamil (not SR)?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2002, 10:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jackie,

I take 240 mg 3x daily plus another 240mg split in morning and night...just started with the latest 240 increase but have been taking the other dosage for five years...it seems to work good but then again I am now in my longest cycle in over two years!  Also my verapimil says SA...whatever that means...hope that helps..

Jon
IP Logged

I Wanna Be Sedated...
Ueli

Email

Re: Dosage of regular Verapamil (not SR)?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 6:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Jackie,

First of all, congrats to you and your doc for choosing the regular Verapamil, that's the type recommended by Dr Goadsby. However, 200 mg a day is really very low for CH.  

Here a quote from Goadsby:
Verapamil is the preventative drug of choice in both episodic and chronic CH. Clinical experience has demonstrated that higher doses than those used in cardiological indications are needed, so outpatient assessment and follow-up is appropriate. The dose is increased until the cluster attacks are suppressed, side-effects intervene or the maximum dose of 960mg daily is achieved.

I am taking 560 mg / day, and with good success. Also, I think it would be better to take the Verapamil in 2 or 3 doses spread out evenly throughout the day. In this way the concentration in the blood is more constant and you can reduce possible side effects, such as dizziness.

You might want to read a post about Verapamil that I wrote some tome back on the good old message board:  http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages2/116309.html
(However, the Medscape article quoted there has a new url: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/416383_7)

Good luck with the Verapamil,
Ueli
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss