Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 3:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Neurontin + Maxalt mlt? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Neurontin + Maxalt mlt?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Neurontin + Maxalt mlt?  (Read 2865 times)
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Neurontin + Maxalt mlt?
« on: Mar 11th, 2002, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,I'm new to this website.  I just spke to neuro.  He will see me Saturday, but has prescribed a Neurontin along with Maxalt mlt.  I never tried this - any feeback?
IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

Re: Neurontin + Maxalt mlt?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 6:28pm »

Kim,
Your not new anymore, your a junior Smiley
Welcome to the family.  Whoo hoo, right?  NOT  Grin

I got maxalt mlt at the end of my cycle last year and got to use it on some shadows and it worked.  Cool pill.  Haven't had a chance to use it on a full blown cluster.  Good luck tonite.  And good job getting to see a doc.

Now, use the "search" button at the top of the page and you will get TONS of posts on both Maxalt mlt and Neurontin.
Good luck!!
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2002, 6:28pm »

neurontin is a drug used to prevent pain and also seizures.  I tried it a couple of years ago and it did nothing to help my ha's.  However, I have heard of many neurologist perscribing it.  Good luck and i'll pray it works for you.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 12:57am »

Kim,  I've tried Neurontin and Maxalt.  I did not have any success with the Neurontin but, the maxalt helped me very little.  Imitex Injections do the best for me as far as an abortive.  I've not found anything of any good yet as far as an preventive that works for me.  I'm currently on lithium, as I am Chronic, but, it has'nt had time to work on me yet I do'nt think.

Mikey,  Grin
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 6:20am »

Mikey:  when I see the word chronic, I want to cry for you.  Thanks to you and all who responded on the meds.  I'm not a novice on computer, so tentatively i searched around and did find some info on the meds. I found that yes, neutrontin is a seizure med and mahalt is like an imitrix type of thing.  A while back, while in the throws of a hideous ch cycle i was prescribed the imitrix shot.  At the time i was on so many different meds (dr. kept switching - we were doing a desperate dance to try and interrupt the ch cycle).  I remember sticking that white thing (didn't look like regular injection needle) into myself,  but i had poor results.  Remember at the time of that ch cycle i was REALLY a hysterical person.  Maybe this time since i've begun the dr. routine and started meds at the onslaught (i'm just starting this cycle) i'll be more coherent and prepared to deal.  Wishing you PFDAN! Kim
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 6:22am »

Mastiff:  SOW!  I'm a junior!  I can't tell you how excitedI am.....Thanks for the post!
IP Logged
wally

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 3:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Welcome Kim!!!   my doctor put me on imitrex nasal and maxalt last year. i used the maxalt for the first time 3 weeks ago which was the middle of my current cycle. the maxalt works well for me, but it seems to take forever (30-45 mins) for it to start working. im going to the doctor within a week or 2 and im gonna find out if there is a form of maxalt that works quicker...... good luck
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 6:03pm »

Hey Wally, this is my second day of using the neutrontin with the maxalt.  Guess what?  I got two more attacks today.  They are still not off the rictor but getting stronger, ya know what I mean?  The neurontin is a pill i take 3x day, and I'm supposed to take the maxalt the instant i feel the onslaught.  The pill is the kind you disolve on your tongue and then swallow.  This morning I was in such a frenzy that i couldn't get the damned wrapper off the freaking pill and was mighty agitated.  Finally got it though, after 30 minutes the ch faded.  got another ch early this evening.  Took the maxalt, jumped in hot tub and rocked.  Lasted 45 minutes.  What the hey.  I don't know, Wally, what do ya think?  Don't seem to be working at the present time....PFDAN to you!
IP Logged
MANDY

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12th, 2002, 7:39pm »

kim, thank you for replying to my message, im currently in a remission period, im 25 and been getting these headaches since i was about 18, only i finally found a dr last winter who could diagnose the problem, i actually had one dr tell me it was a sinus infection!!! My last attack was at the beginning of dec, and ended a little after new years. I was getting 2-4 headaches per day. I acutally vomited a couple times the pain was so bad, boy did that make it worse! About a day after i was taking the pred they stopped, but until the pred got into my system, i still had to suffer. The imitrex spray made it worse and 2 fioricets only dulled the pain slightly, i just want to be prepared the next time, so i will look on this web site further for a quick pain killer. thanks! Smiley
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13th, 2002, 1:20pm »

Many thanks to all who answered!  Third day of meds and thanks to you all I'm coping like NEVER B4!  god bless you all!  PFDAN to all.  Kim
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13th, 2002, 10:04pm »

Well, I'm chugging along with these meds.  HOWEVER, today i took two more maxalt dissolving pills than i was supposed to.  Is this a BAD thing?  You can only take 3 a day.  Well I got 6 onsets today, so what the hell am i supposed to do???????I'll call dr. in am.  Just thought I'd ask...kim
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 7:46pm »

Woops!  Fourth day of Neurontin and Maxalt - NOT WORKING...Woke 5:50 am with kip 8 , did the meds, took the bath, ice paks, coffee, pacing, drooling, and general insanity for 1 hour.  CH faded but never left me and is still with me as i speak.  It will NOT END!  Peaks and fades, peaks and fades.  I'm bummed.  See doc Saturday, what next?????  Maybe i'm not giving it enough time?  Patience is wearing thin..............  Wishing all well. kim
IP Logged
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 8:18pm »

For what it's worth....

My first Neuro had me try Neurontin - got up to 3400 mg per day with zero help.  No side effects - no help.

Maxalt MLT dissolved fast but was so slow that it was not worth the effort.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 8:24pm »

Hey Marc, i'm only taking 300 mg/day (Neurontin).  At first i thought it might be working but alas, not.  but 300mg is a lot less than 3400...maybe up dose????  Maxalt helps (i take it w/coffee and it speeds up the effect) alas, also speeds up kim... i dunno.  see what doc says saturday.  Thanks for input. kim
IP Logged
vangogh71

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15th, 2002, 4:54pm »

Never tried the Neurontin but did try the Maxalt for half a day!

I had major side effects from it; Got pins and needles waist down (became quite painful, couldn't stand or sit without pain).  Then lost feeling in my legs, that freaked me out so I was rushed back to my doctor who noticed my face was really flushed and my blood pressure had skyrocketed from the morning appt I had just had.

Suffice to say I was taken off the medication and haven't tried it since.  I know my doctor talked to the pharmecutical rep and they said this was a very uncommon reaction.

Luckily I do not have the same reaction to Imitrex as this stuff is what works for me (though I hate the 2 a day limit, what are you supposed to do for the other 4 or 5 attacks?)  Thankfully here in Canada I have no limits on the amounts I can get and my coverage is 80% and then my wife's is 80% of the 20%.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss