Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:02pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « BOTOX »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   BOTOX
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: BOTOX  (Read 430 times)
Elissa

Email

BOTOX
« on: Mar 17th, 2002, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Alright..let me have it....I've heard about Botox.  I've only known it to help with plastic surgery but never for headaches.  Actually my stepson herad something about it on t.v. while I was out and told me about it when I got home.  I figured this was probably one of the best places to find out info on it.  I'm going to ask ny neuro on 4/10.  I'll try anything at this point.  Please.....feedback from anyone.  Thanks guys!
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

Re: BOTOX
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 8:18pm »

Botox is used for quite some time in plastic surgery, to paralyze the muscles that pull the fore head into wrinkles. As a side effect of this procedure it was found that it can alleviate migraines. Therefore, it is now often used to treat migraines (with or without wrinkles).
Botox has not been proven to be useful for CH, and it is advocated only by those who believe in the help from vascular decompression, an other procedure useful for migraine but not CH

Good Luck with your neuro visit,
Ueli
IP Logged
Elissa

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 8:30pm »

Thanks Ueli.....I am seeing a new neuro on 4/10 and I am definitely asking about it.  Also, I found a nurse on this board who is familiar with the detox anesthesia program.  At this point, I'm almost willing to do anything.  

How have you been?
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's some info:

http://www.headachedrugs.com/HeadacheDrugs/related/efficacy_botulinum_to xin.html
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
headpain

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 9:06pm »

I'm a chronic sufferer.  I had botox injections done about six months ago and noticed a reduction in the intensity of the headaches and to some extent a reduction in the frequency.  The injections are relatively safe compared to other treatments.  I basically followed the protcol in a article by Silberstein for migraines plus had additional botox injected into the temporalis and occipitalis muscleson the affected side.  There are published case reports of botox working for resistant cluster headache.  I  would post them for you but I don't know how.  Good luck!
IP Logged
headpain

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 9:06pm »

I'm a chronic sufferer.  I had botox injections done about six months ago and noticed a reduction in the intensity of the headaches and to some extent a reduction in the frequency.  The injections are relatively safe compared to other treatments.  I basically followed the protcol in a article by Silberstein for migraines plus had additional botox injected into the temporalis and occipitalis muscleson the affected side.  There are published case reports of botox working for resistant cluster headache.  I  would post them for you but I don't know how.  Good luck!
IP Logged
headpain

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18th, 2002, 9:07pm »

IP Logged
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19th, 2002, 7:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Elissa, BOTOX relaxes the muscle that it is injected into.  

The reason it helps in some cluster sufferers, and  Headpain's post above is not the first of its kind, is that some cluster sufferers have a muscle tension component input to their cluster pain.
IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
headpain

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21st, 2002, 7:07pm »

It probably has some other direct pain relieving effect than just muscle relaxation.  You can feel some pain relief soon after the injections wereas muscle relaxation takes about 3 weeks to occur.  I believe the anticholinergic effects helped my frequent nasal congestion and lacrimation.  Be wary of others trying to give advice who may keep you from trying a relatively safe and helpful treatment.  No one knows why this helps some headaches but it seems to help some.  More study is needed.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss