Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « 5-HTP »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   5-HTP
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5-HTP  (Read 278 times)
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

5-HTP
« on: Mar 24th, 2002, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone tried 5-HTP ?  it's Hydroxytryptophan.
I found a reference to it helping with seratonin production and helping migraine (of course, no mention of Cluster)......

Since the imitrex works I was wondering if evening out my seratonin would help using 5-HTP.

Any comments?
Mark

P.S. I have tried feverfew, magnesium, ginkgo, riboflavin, and Melatonin.  The only one that seemed to help at all was ginkgo, but not enough to be worth taking.
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: 5-HTP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2002, 2:05pm »

I took it for a while, out of cluster, to see what it was like.  Quit taking it before my cluster started.

Another guy took it while in cycle.  He got 2 pain free nights and then the CH returned.

I asked the doc at the 5HTPDIRECT web site if it was good for clusters.  Of course he said yes, but he's trying to sell the stuff.

Anyway, not a lot of definite info on it.  Only the one guy who got a couple days off before they came back.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2002, 3:34pm »

Well, today is my 2nd day on 5-HTP and I haven't had a cluster yet... I made it past my 2:00 PM daily one...

So... all as that means is that I didn't get one... Could be the 5-HTP, could be the verapamil finally doing something, or I could be going out of cycle......

Who knows... but I'm going to keep taking it since I don't see any side effects yet.... If it doesn't hurt.... I might as well try it.

Thanks...Mark
IP Logged

Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2002, 3:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I took 50 mg of 5-HTP before bed time for 6 weeks.
It didn't make a difference, neither way.
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2002, 11:19am »

Thanks Ueli, I haven't had too much cluster since I started taking the 5-HTP, but then again it's about time for me to come to end of cycle, so.... who knows....

I keep hoping to find something that breaks it so I don't have to take so much imitrex, but.... so far nothing.

Mark
IP Logged

katrollins

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2002, 7:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

??? I tried the 5HTP and it seemed to increase the intensity of my attacks!!!  But, like we all know, who knows for sure if that was it!!!  Roll Eyes   I'm also on Paxil so don't know if it is a good idea to take both or not.  
Someone somewhere has GOT to find a cure for this friggin' affliction!  It's a hell of a way to live... if you call this living!!!  hard to see the sunshine when the beast is in your face all the time!!!   Shocked
This website is my sanctuary!!!  Thanks to all of you  Wink
here's to PFDAN's to us all  Grin
IP Logged
chjohn
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2002, 8:50pm »

After extensive self experimentation....... I have determined that Beer and Sex are not the cure for CH. But what the Hell? I going to keep experimenting anyway!!!!
John Smiley Wink Cheesy ;D Tongue
IP Logged

Ignorance is refreshing
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 7:50am »

Well, despite the 5-HTP I had 2 clusters yesterday.  Decided to go off of it and increase my Prozac and use my oxygen (that I just got).  This seems to be working better!

Hey, I'll try more sex to get rid of my clusters and you know what - even if it doesn't work - at least I'll be happy!!   ;D

Mark
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss